The fallen Irish

England from the Tudors to the Stewarts, Flight of the Irish Earls, the Discovery of the Americas and Global Trade

Moderator: the_power

The fallen Irish

Postby Nerva on Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:49 pm

Salvete Omnes!

Until recently, I would never have put the American Civil War and Irish re-enactment togather. But truth be told, the Irish played a major part in that war and there are serious re-enactors portraying this era. What do you know of this struggle?
Vale

Marcvs Vlpius Nerva

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Pilus Prior Cohors VIII Legionis XX Valeria Victrix

http://www.romanarmy.ie

info@romanarmy.ie

nerva@romanarmy.ie
Nerva
Active Newbie
Full Name: Martin McAree

Location: Corcagia, Hibernia Pronvincia - Cork, Ireland, to you Barbarians!

Re: The fallen Irish

Postby rinuccini on Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:31 am

Approx: 150,000 Irish fought on the side of the Union with about 40,000 on the side of the Confederacy. The Irish contribution to this war was actually greater than either of the two world wars, so definatly counts as a major 'Irish' war. Companies, regiments and one entire union brigade were composed of Irish immigrants. Famous units such as the Irish brigade, Louisiana Tigers and Collin's Zouaves were totally, or almost totally Irish.

More details on our site here:
http://www.minstrelboys.org.uk/

Our group portray Irish soldiers and civilians and have a major event every year at the American Folk Park in Omagh. This year we are joined by French, German and English re-enactors and will be recreating the Wilderness campaign of 1864 in Northern Virginia.

8-) Hugh 8-)
rinuccini

Postby The Pards on Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:27 pm

Rinuccini is corect when he says that the Irish involvement was big in this war, infact we were only out numbered by the Germans when it comes to volunteers for the conflict.
It's an interesting to see what went on during this period. Many claim that it saw the last of the 'old style' of general, Lee, and the begining of the 'new style', Grant.
Many firsts came out of it, perhaps the most preverse was the use of morphine to treat wounded soldiers after battle. The U.S. Medicial Deparment was worried about men becoming dependent on it and developed a less addictive alternative, Diamorphine...HEROIN!![img][/img]

The Pard's are another group of American Civil War re-enactors, we are based in the republic, we have attended a number of American events in the past, infact some of our guys will be at Gettysburg at the end of the month. At some of these events anything from 20,000 to 40,000 re-enactors can be on site!! They are most impressive events.

We can be contacted through this forum or our website; Callingthem home.com

Fight the Good Fight

The Pard's
Fight the Good Fight!

Fred Ricksburg,

The Pard's
The Pards
Full Name: Fred Ricksburg

Postby kevin714 on Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:52 am

rinuccini wrote:Approx: 150,000 Irish fought on the side of the Union with about 40,000 on the side of the Confederacy. The Irish contribution to this war was actually greater than either of the two world wars, so definatly counts as a major 'Irish' war. Companies, regiments and one entire union brigade were composed of Irish immigrants. Famous units such as the Irish brigade, Louisiana Tigers and Collin's Zouaves were totally, or almost totally Irish.

More details on our site here:
http://www.minstrelboys.org.uk/

Our group portray Irish soldiers and civilians and have a major event every year at the American Folk Park in Omagh. This year we are joined by French, German and English re-enactors and will be recreating the Wilderness campaign of 1864 in Northern Virginia.

8-) Hugh 8-)

Those numbers actually sound low for the North. I have heard of a quote supposedly said at Lee's surrender from one Southern General that "the reason you won is you had more Irish". Not sure if it is an actual quote or fabrication though, I have never researched it to any extent.
Kevin Patrick Molloy
"The Prince of Firceall of the ancient sword is O'Molloy of the freeborn name, full power was granted to him and he held his country uncontrolled" O'Dugain(d.1372 AD)
kevin714
Active Newbie
Full Name: Kevin Molloy

Postby rinuccini on Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:28 am

kevin714 wrote:
Those numbers actually sound low for the North. I have heard of a quote supposedly said at Lee's surrender from one Southern General that "the reason you won is you had more Irish". Not sure if it is an actual quote or fabrication though, I have never researched it to any extent.

If you add in the 2nd and 3rd generation Irish who would still probably see themselves as Irish then you could at least double the numbers.

Last year during the 4th July event at the folk park we had a lot of German re-enactors. As there were complete units of both Irish and Germans it was authentic for us to speak in Irish and German accents. Unlike the English re-enactors who had to attempt dodgy American accents. :shock:
rinuccini

Postby finnobreanan on Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:31 pm

There are so many books available and so much information concerning Irish Americans during the American Civil War that it would be impossible to answer. My great-great-granfather Michael Murphy served through the war with the 55th Illinois Volunteer Infantry. I suspect that another great-great-grandfather, Patrick Murray, may have served in a New York Regiment, possibly the Irish Brigade.

Civil War reenacting in the US is gigantic. I was at the 1988 Gettysburg and saw complete Divisions fighting; horse drawn artillery; and mounted cavalry. I have been reenacting since I was fourteen and had 30 years in when I finally stepped down. The authenticity of groups varies considerably, but I was associated with the Hardcore Authentics (stitch counters). A good web site is the authentic campaigner: http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/

This is from a tintype I had made at an event on the Athens, Missouri Battlefield. We were portraying Missouri Home Guard wearing civilian clothing.

Here's an titype I had taken at Gettsburg;
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

"...The O'Brennans, a sept of thieves without any right or title, ... were a perpetual disturbance to the peace of the county,"
finnobreanan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Scott Cross

Return to Early Modern