I got... a rock.

From palaeolithic to the late iron age, discuss leather underwear and rocks to your hearts' content

Moderator: the_power

I got... a rock.

Postby redneckjedi on Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:25 pm

Hey all, what is the earliest documentable Irish kit someone can do ? I am asking for a friend who is wanting to do something really ancient and I suggested pre-celtic Ireland but am now at a loss for sources on the subject... Any ideas?

Thanks, Gary...
"Sir, you're mad with power!"
"Of course I am. You ever try being mad *without* power? It's boring. Nobody listens to you."
redneckjedi
Full Name: Gary C. Morris

Re: I got... a rock.

Postby admin on Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:01 am

We don't have much hard evidence for much before 500AD, though linguistic evidence seems to indicate that we had more in common with British Celts than other peoples, so if you were going for 500BC or something, you could try that. I don't think I'd rely on the sagas for pre-500AD stuff either, as it's very coloured by early medieval ideas and clothing. I'm currently working through "The Archaeology of Celtic Britain and Ireland: c. AD 400 - 1200" and it has some good stuff for early Ireland - someone point out it's in Google Books, so you can see bits of it there.

Check out MoghRoith.org - they do the earliest periods of any Irish group. Some good photos.

John
admin
Site Admin

Postby Dave Mooney on Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:19 pm

Wait for Bill to answer, he's the real rock basher.

Don't mind our current photos, they are a bit out of it. We're re-building the site to go along with our new found life in Craggaunowen. Lots of blogging prommised.
New photo shoots on the cards soon.

Do we have a blog here guys?

Dave.
Dave Mooney.
Mogh Roith- Historical Living History Group. http://moghroith.org
Dave Mooney
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Mooney

Postby redneckjedi on Thu May 15, 2008 11:15 pm

Thanks for the replies folks. I think my friend has decided to try and recreate the Oetzi (spelling) guy found in the ice... It sounds pretty neat but I am too busy trying to gather resources for my Hospitaller and 11c. Irish kits to be tackling another impression...
"Of course I am. You ever try being mad *without* power? It's boring. Nobody listens to you."
redneckjedi

Postby Kirst on Sat May 17, 2008 4:08 pm

redneckjedi wrote:I think my friend has decided to try and recreate the Oetzi (spelling) guy found in the ice...

I hope he's short :lol:

Tell your friend he should go naked, there's evidence at least that people had skin back then! :)
Kirst

Postby Dave Mooney on Sat May 17, 2008 8:19 pm

Bill has done Otzi from head to toe plus all his kit. He drew a line at getting tattoos and dying from arrow injuries/exposure.
Dave Mooney.
Mogh Roith- Historical Living History Group. http://moghroith.org
Dave Mooney
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Mooney

Postby redneckjedi on Sat May 17, 2008 10:15 pm

Bill has done Otzi from head to toe plus all his kit. He drew a line at getting tattoos and dying from arrow injuries/exposure.

Well we must then seriously question his devotion to the craft :lol: :lol:
redneckjedi

Postby redneckjedi on Sat May 17, 2008 10:19 pm

I hope he's short

Tell your friend he should go naked, there's evidence at least that people had skin back then!

He is rather waifish... but I really don't want him going around naked! I am satisfied with my two periods and probably won't participate in a third so he is on his own. I will help him find resources and stuff like that though...
redneckjedi

Return to Pre-History