Viking DNA isolated...

Viking, Saxon, and Early Christian Irish cultures

Moderator: the_power

Viking DNA isolated...

Postby the_power on Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:41 pm

http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2008 ... s-rec.html
In a study published today in Public Library of Science ONE, Danish scientists describe the retrieval of genetic material from ten Viking skeletons found in an ancient burial site near the city of Odense. The remains date to 1000 AD, the twilight of Viking civilization.
the_power
Active Newbie
Full Name: John Looney

Re: Viking DNA isolated...

Postby claimhteoir on Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:53 am

You know, part of me wishes the Irish government would allow for exhumation of known Gaelic chiefs and other long since passed away folk with established tribal bloodlines and that they would also fund the research to isolate lost Y-DNA profiles to aid in tribal and family history research.

Then again, there's the practical problems, the moral dilemma and the crippling lack of funds as the world economy collapses and we realise we have no indigenous industry and our primary earner in recent times was attracting multinational companies engaged in knowledge-based manufacturing and financial services, many of which were American. What's this Obama wants again? Oh yes, to attract American firms back to American soil... can anyone else smell the knee-high pig shit? :?
claimhteoir
Active Newbie
Full Name: None Set

Postby brendan on Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:15 pm

And then we could clone an army of Fianna and take over the world!;)

Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby claimhteoir on Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:49 pm

Indeed! Well, all I'm saying is if we see parish churches getting raided in the future I'm blaming cloned Danes and Norweigans.
claimhteoir
Active Newbie
Full Name: None Set

Postby Seathrun on Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:22 am

claimhteoir wrote:You know, part of me wishes the Irish government would allow for exhumation of known Gaelic chiefs and other long since passed away folk with established tribal bloodlines and that they would also fund the research to isolate lost Y-DNA profiles to aid in tribal and family history research.

Then again, there's the practical problems, the moral dilemma and the crippling lack of funds as the world economy collapses and we realise we have no indigenous industry and our primary earner in recent times was attracting multinational companies engaged in knowledge-based manufacturing and financial services, many of which were American. What's this Obama wants again? Oh yes, to attract American firms back to American soil... can anyone else smell the knee-high pig shit? :?

Yeah on the first part and on the second we smell it over here too. I did not vote for him and cant seem to find many who did.
Seth
http://www.ravensborg.org/
Trí labra ata ferr túa: ochán ríg do chath, sreth immais, molad iar lúag.
Three speeches that are better than silence: inciting a king to battle,spreading knowledge, praise after reward.
Seathrun
Active Newbie
Full Name: Seathrun (Seth)

Return to Early-Medieval