Napoleonic era Tailcoat frockcoat for sale 1798

Merchants can advertise here, private individuals are welcome to hawk their wares. Seek advice on new investments!

Moderator: the_power

Napoleonic era Tailcoat frockcoat for sale 1798

Postby beirbuadh2 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:45 am

Vintage costume coat made in the 1950s for an Irish production of the play “Montserrat, a play in two acts” from the French play by Emmannuel Robles adapted by Lillian Hellman 1950.
I purchased it as part of a set in a second-hand shop, and was told that they were worn for a stage production in New York in the 1950s, and had been in the box ever since. This is the last remaining coat, as I have sold off the rest as a set, intended to keep this one, but found I hardly wear it. I am looking for €50 for it.
They were made by Gings Theatrical Costumiers of Dame Street Dublin.

The play deals with the Venezuelan war of independence from Spain 1811-1823. I believe the tunic represents the Spanish side, but could be a generic Napoleonic/Colonial representation. Bear in mind, Spain had been invaded by France in 1808. I'm not very familiar with the play, nor the respective, correct regimental uniforms of this period. Could also be used as a generic representation of coats worn around the 1798 rebellion.

I would like it to stay in Ireland and go to someone who would use and appreciate it. Please pass this on to anyone who you think might be interested – if it don't sell here soon, I'll have to put it on ebay.
The coat is lined, wollen, a bit rough due to age and wear, the odd small moth hole (which can be made to look like powder-burns!), but not too bad at all, and could do with a clean. Although I think all this adds to the authentisity and 'aged' look. It is a light brown in colour, red trim with touch of silver and blue, and silver coloured metal buttons. Take a look at the photos for the best idea. (Tried to upload here, said files were too big) so try this flickr link;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57896344@N ... 07/detail/
or go to flickr and search for Montserrat Tunics

Here are the measurements;

Neck 16”
Chest 40”
Middle (extent of coat around the belly under bottom chest button) 40”
Arm over-arm (shoulder stitching seam to top of wrist) 25”
Arm under-arm (armpit to wrist) 17”
Top of collar to bottom of tail at the back 41”
Top of collar to middle in the front 17.5”

I live in Wicklow and work in Dún Laoghaire, if you want to meet me to pick it up. First offer and the coat is gone! Call Alan at 086 3543206.
beirbuadh2
Full Name: Archie Doyle

Return to Buy and Sell