Ionar Embriodery

England from the Tudors to the Stewarts, Flight of the Irish Earls, the Discovery of the Americas and Global Trade

Moderator: the_power

Ionar Embriodery

Postby Eoghan on Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:04 am

While the designs and styles of embroidery on these garmets are documented any easy enough to replicate, what type of thread was used for the embroidery and the fringe? My best guess is that a richer buannadha of the early 1530's would have had a crewel silk thread to adorn his ionar. At this point, southern Ireland had trade with Spain and France, both big exporters of silks. The cheaper way to buy silk in the period was to buy it raw and only partially processed. Not yet respun and corded. The finished yardage was mostly available to the aristocracy or more on the continent to those who could afford it. If one can only aford a few ells of thick silk thread to adorn, one might embroider it on their only woolen garmet.

That's my 2 harp groats… Any thoughts?
Eoghan
Full Name: Eoghan mac Eoghain

Re: Ionar Embriodery

Postby finnobreanan on Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:50 pm

That is a good question, but I don't know if it can be answered completely. When my wife decorated my wool Eonar, I had her use wool thread. I don't know of any real documentation, and of course if an Eonar is made of leather, paint would have to be used. My old leather Eonar had leather fringe on it.
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

"...The O'Brennans, a sept of thieves without any right or title, ... were a perpetual disturbance to the peace of the county,"
finnobreanan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Scott Cross

Re: Ionar Embriodery

Postby brendan on Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:52 pm

Silk is documented to the 11th century for use on garments...essentially, if the Vikings had access the Irish had access if they wanted. And the Irish liked their bling - legal requirements to wear bling once you get to a certain level (brooch worth a proportion of honour price).
Later medieval, well we don't have images or anything but there was certainly trade and travel and no sense that the Irish were less inclined to the fine things in life than their neighbors in England or France. I guess it boils down to the status of the impression as a whole...and whether you can find someone to embroider with silk!
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Return to Early Modern