Would love some opinions on what I'm working on

England from the Tudors to the Stewarts, Flight of the Irish Earls, the Discovery of the Americas and Global Trade

Moderator: the_power

Would love some opinions on what I'm working on

Postby Caoimhin on Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:23 am

I am in the midst of trying to put together Irish re-enactment house based in the mid 16th century here in the Pacific Northwest. I want to base the group out the out of the west of Ireland but I don't mind what province anyone wants to hail from. It's basically going to portray everyday life from the military and non-military aspect. I myself want to play a Brehon and that's where would love your help. I was told by one group that the Brehon were gone in the 16th century and then I read Seamus McManus' The Story of the Irish Race it said that the Irish held onto the Brehon laws even harder when the Tudors were trying to force it out. Does anyone have any info on this subject either way?
"Michael began to call out a warning for Caoimhin, O’Donnell and MacCarraig to move up when it was cut short by a sickening smack of a dart piercing his breast." an excerpt from 'Maitiu's Stories'
Caoimhin
Full Name: Kevin J Franklin

Re: Would love some opinions on what I'm working on

Postby Billy on Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:43 am

The Ó Duibh dá Bhoireann law school at Cathair Mac Neachtain were still producing legal documents and had an active law school in Co. Clare in 1659, so the idea that the Brehon lawyers were defunct by the sixteenth century is a non-runner. Brehon law remained as the main legal system in Gaelic Ireland until after the Flight of the Earls in 1607, so I think you'll be fine.
Billy MagFhloinn
Billy
Active Newbie

Postby Billy on Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:45 am

Billy MagFhloinn
Billy
Active Newbie

Postby Billy on Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:46 am

Billy MagFhloinn
Billy
Active Newbie

Postby Caoimhin on Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:11 pm

Thank you very much Billy
"Michael began to call out a warning for Caoimhin, O’Donnell and MacCarraig to move up when it was cut short by a sickening smack of a dart piercing his breast." an excerpt from 'Maitiu's Stories'
Caoimhin

Postby brendan on Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:51 pm

The baseline text is (obviously?) Fergus Kelly's Early Irish Law.
In terms of representing the Brehon I have found that a really useful and fun thing to do is to run a trial. I have one that I have run a few times which is essentially a corrupt Brehon misinterpreting the law in favour of his friend. It draws in honour price, status, the treatment of women under law under a few methods. Encouraging heckling from the audience works as well
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby Caoimhin on Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:14 pm

brendan wrote:The baseline text is (obviously?) Fergus Kelly's Early Irish Law.
In terms of representing the Brehon I have found that a really useful and fun thing to do is to run a trial. I have one that I have run a few times which is essentially a corrupt Brehon misinterpreting the law in favour of his friend. It draws in honour price, status, the treatment of women under law under a few methods. Encouraging heckling from the audience works as well

I'll have to write something up like so I can make it my own. Thanks to the both of you.
Caoimhin

Return to Early Modern