Cleaning a trench coat

Moderator: the_power

Cleaning a trench coat

Postby enfieldd on Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:22 pm

I brought my manky trench coat ( the Irish Army Cadets type)to the cleaners and they would not touch it, not because it was unclean but because it has leather trim on the bottom and inside the sleeves. Anyhow I asked around and a seamstress said to get W5 Multi Stain Remover which I got from either Aldi or Lidl a couple of years back. I steeped the coat in a large bucket with a good few scoops of this powder for three hours. I spread plastic over the table in the shed and slapped the coat on it. Wearing an apron (yes you do need one) I spent 20 minutes scrubbing the coat with a stiff brush and some of the remaining liquid and it came up great. It removed even grease and oil stains but you still need to give it a bit of a scrub after steeping. Anyhow, into the rain barrel and on to the line and its looks very well. I thought the stains from the leather bandolier and holster would not come out but they did and thats about the size of it, as I said to herself last night. Cleaning my room is another matter...
Roll on the summer shows, I haven't been shot for over a year now and am getting edgy.
Cheers.
Tom.
enfieldd
Active Newbie
Full Name: Tom Burnell

Re: Cleaning a trench coat

Postby Nerva on Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:28 pm

Salve Tom!

I must get some of that "W5 Multi Stain Remover", just the thing I need to clean oily woolen tunics me thinks!

Vale,

Nerva.
Vale

Marcvs Vlpius Nerva

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Pilus Prior Cohors VIII Legionis XX Valeria Victrix

http://www.romanarmy.ie

info@romanarmy.ie

nerva@romanarmy.ie
Nerva
Active Newbie
Full Name: Martin McAree

Location: Corcagia, Hibernia Pronvincia - Cork, Ireland, to you Barbarians!

Re: Cleaning a trench coat

Postby brendan on Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:44 am

that is rather useful...not sure when I will use the information but it is certainly on a mental checklist! :)
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Return to General Chat