Oral History Project: Ireland’s Civil War and Memory

Introduce yourself here; who you are, where you are based, and any groups you are in.

Moderator: the_power

Oral History Project: Ireland’s Civil War and Memory

Postby Quebecois on Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:35 pm

Hi there,

I am looking for people with a family connection to the Irish Civil War (1922-23) to be interviewed for an oral history project on how families and communities remember this important period in Irish history. What was the impact of the civil war on your family? How is it remembered? Have there been any stories passed down?

If you had family (perhaps a grandparent) actively involved in the conflict on either side I would be very interested in meeting you. I’m especially interested in civil war memories in and about Counties Kerry, Cork, Clare, and Limerick, and families of IRA veterans who emigrated in the aftermath of the conflict.

Interviews will be recorded to audio or video or written down, according to your wishes. You will be given a copy of the interview recording. The project has been approved by Concordia University’s Human Research Ethics Committee, and all interviewees will be informed in advance about conditions and options of participation.

For more information please contact:
Professor Gavin Foster, School of Canadian Irish Studies, Concordia
University, 1455 de Maisonneuve W., H-1001, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, H3G
1M8; tel. 514 848-2424 x 5117; email: gfoster@alcor.concordia.ca

Thank you.
Quebecois
Full Name: Ray Jess

Re: Oral History Project: Ireland’s Civil War and Memory

Postby jokf on Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:48 pm

Hello Gavin,

My husband Maurice O`Keeffe and I have been compiling, editing and archiving oral history in Ireland since 1999, for our Irish Life and Lore Series. A full overview of our work may be seen at www.irishlifeandlore.com

We are commissioned to work on Oral History Projects by Local Authorities, academic institutions and private groups.

I realise that you are looking for interviewees in Canada rather than in Ireland for your project, but perhaps take a look at the site, as there is a lot of information there on memories of the Civil War from Collections of audio recordings compiled in Ireland. Perhaps you can make some contacts in this way.

Best wishes,
Jane O`Keeffe,
Tralee, Co. Kerry.
www.irishlifeandlore.com
jokf
Full Name: jane o keeffe

Return to Introductions