Nine Years War - sources

England from the Tudors to the Stewarts, Flight of the Irish Earls, the Discovery of the Americas and Global Trade

Moderator: the_power

Nine Years War - sources

Postby bevis gittens on Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:28 pm

I am a member of the Living history group that portray a farm in south Wales in the year 1599 (Grayhill, where they filmed 'Tales from the Green Valley') - I am currently researching into the impact of the Nine Years War on the 'lower classes' in Wales. I have read and am relying heavier on 'The Elizabethan Conquest of Ireland: The 1590s Crisis' by J McGurk and was wondering if anyone could suggest any other work that describes the lot of the soldiers that went to Ireland and where they came from etc. I am hoping to give a talk to get peoples mind set into how different it was in late 1590s ... a period of economic recession, high unemployment and the government fighting a guerilla war in another country against a religiously motivated indigenous force... hang on this is starting to sound a lot like today! ;)

Thanks BG
C16th Wood Collier
bevis gittens
Full Name: James Biddlecombe

Re: Nine Years War - sources

Postby brendan on Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:26 pm

Hi and welcome!
It sounds like an interesting project - I don't have much on that but Dave Swift should be able to help you on that one
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby Swifty on Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:58 pm

Hello again!

McGurk is good for sure but I would have a lot of good well referenced secondary material on this subject. We generally interpret the Irish side of these wars at our living history displays but have of late being bringing the lot of the typical Shropshire/Welsh etc recruits to our clients attention too. Drop me a line of you want a list - but please be aware that these sources would have to be searched for under the mountain of books I have here - so it may take a little time!

Slán for now
D Swift www.claiomh.ie c.795-1660
Swifty
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Swift

Postby Jd66 on Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:36 pm

Hi, John McCavitt's the Flight of the Earls is quite good on the Nine Years War.

Two tipbits from him which are interesting from your perspective would be that apparently a proverb in Wales and the West Country at the time went, 'better hang at home than die like a dog in Ireland'. Also when Mountjoy brought O'Neill through Wales after the war on his way to meet James I, O'Neill was pelted by irate local people, whose sons had been pressed into service in Ireland.

For contemporary sources, the Annals of the Four Masters, which is online. Pacata Hibernia - a history written by Stafford, George Carew's secretary. A Description of Ireland by Fynes Morrisson, Mountjoy's secretary. Calender of State Papers relating to Ireland, which are in the National Library here but probably available in London too. Cyril Falls, Elizabeth's Irish Wars - very dated in tone but proably still useful.

Hope that helps.

There area lot of good links here http://www.ucc.ie/celt/
Last edited by Jd66 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jd66
Active Newbie
Full Name: John Dorney

Postby bevis gittens on Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:57 am

Thanks John, particularly for the Welsh connection!

Bevis
C16th Wood Collier
bevis gittens
Full Name: James Biddlecombe

Return to Early Modern