Winters here, what's your project?

Moderator: the_power

Winters here, what's your project?

Postby enfield on Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:27 am

Lets start a newsy, chat of your plans for the winter up to the Curragh in May. Its hard to believe its seven (yes feckin' SEVEN) months away!!
To start with, heading off to Rev Mark Hayden,s Armistice service in Gorey for the 13th November. Not much to do with the Landrover except myself and Sean Ryan fitting an overdrive to it. Its next outing with be St Patricks day somewhere, probably local and after that there will be usual Ray Murhy's Enniscothy rememberance parade in Enniscorthy at Easter. There are moves afoot to bring a bus to Beltring in July (I tried that before and it didn't work for me) so if anyone is interested let me know and I will pass you on to the organiser. I have no idea on costs, I am sure it depends on numbers going.
On those dark winter nights its the best time to tackle the paperwork, and collecting ww1 casualties from undone counties.The publishing racket has taken a downturn with the recession so they will not be printing as many as before. I am glad to see there are not many counties left to be completed. This leads the way for a 26 county casualty digital database, the last Government and Mary McAleese did not want to know, Enda Kenny and four of his Ministers would not even reply when emailed, perhaps our new President will be more interested? I'll let you know of developments, if any.
I have not heard of any fairs coming up in Cork, if anyone hears please let us know.
Other than that its packing uniforms, equipment etc away in sealed ammo boxes until they are needed again.
If anything is coming up in these dark times let us know before everyone dies of boredom reading my posts.
If I don't hear from ye before the festive season, Happy Christmas everybody!!!
Cheers.
Tom.
enfield
Full Name: Tom Burnell

Re: Winters here, what's your project?

Postby Na Fianna Éireann on Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:58 am

Keep up the good work Tom and is there no way even the Arts council could help you in your work or even the British legion, Or the Regimental associations of Irish soldiers charities, always worth a try. Oh you could try the Prince of Wales trust a friend tried them not so long ago and they helped him too and were very helpful .

I know that people are always open to help as last week I recieved a sponsorship of a few hundred quid to help me out and yesterday I went to collect my " We serve neither King nor Kaiser but Ireland banner " and thre printer refused point blank to accept any money fro me at all , as he was imopressed as to the reasons why i required this.

I will use my time over winter to gather together my Irish Republican Army impression and equipment and also to hone up on the hisitorical data required , as for my German equipment, I still add to it as bought another 2 bayonets during the week and another Stg 44 as have a passion for these two items of equipment used by the German military. I have a few mannequins to dress fully as wel with my German equipment as they look fab when fully kitted out so, I'm ticking the list as I go by , I'll attend the Curragh this year both with German and Irish equipment as recently I attended a show and the organisers gave me the stakes and rope to enable me to box of a display as a gift which was decent of them
Na Fianna Éireann Fíor inár gCroíthe Neart inár Láimhe Comhsheasmhacht inár dTeanga.
Na Fianna Éireann
Active Newbie
Full Name: i never forget

Postby Malo on Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:04 am

I will work on completing my gear for the new Napoleonic French project and get that up and running properly,i.e. training our recruits,etc. and then will move on to getting my Victorian Era French Zouave kit back together, but that might need to wait until the next season starts. ;)
Vive La Nation!!!
Malo
Active Newbie
Full Name: Jaques-Louis Malo

Postby enfield on Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:13 am

Good plan Malo, the winter is a perfect time for updating kit and drilling.

Well done Martin, perhaps you should form a club. I very much look forward to seeing your display.

Regarding looking for backing for the Irish War Dead Databases project, it is for the Government to back and support it, however, they don't want to know. It would not be right to put any extra strain on charities with this, they have enough to cope with. The powers that be should step up to the plate, when 2014 comes up I wonder what they will do?...or not do? This is beginning to sound political which it is not supposed to be, so let the sleeping dogs lie.
Cheers.
Tom.
enfield
Full Name: Tom Burnell

Postby Na Fianna Éireann on Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:11 pm

Thanks Tom I have a few guys interested in the Irish Volunteer up here which is good the only downside is the finance like you already have pointed too, so peope need to be more prudent with their money, upside is hopefully I will get some more sponsorship as I've had a few enquires from other interested parties and have been more or less promised a second banner for free as part of a package from a benefactor who can provide logistical help to me.

I could point you in the direction of the somme memorial people up here in the North they would deal with the dead from the 36th Ulster Division and in fact only yesterday there was an article on Radio Ulster about 5.30 pm about a man that discovered one of the Clyde Valley G98 rifles up in the roof space of his house still wrapped in grease proofed paper and suspended amongst rafters.

Any way Tom I do sincerely wish you well in preserving our history and also in your relentless perseverence in making sure that the dead from the Great War will never fade from memory and their sacrafice be in vain and forgotten.

Is mise le meas Mártín
Na Fianna Éireann Fíor inár gCroíthe Neart inár Láimhe Comhsheasmhacht inár dTeanga.
Na Fianna Éireann
Active Newbie
Full Name: i never forget

Return to General Chat