Belfast based Irish Martial Arts

Introduce yourself here; who you are, where you are based, and any groups you are in.

Moderator: the_power

Belfast based Irish Martial Arts

Postby JohnPaulPatton on Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:44 pm

Hi folks,

I am Belfast based and am keen on developing my own style of Gaelic Martial Arts. I have published a draft syllabus of a creative reconstruction in my book 'The Poet's Ogam: A Living Magical Tradition.' I am however intent on exploring this field in much more depth and am currently developing a new school of 'Red Branch Knights' in Ulster, based in Belfast. I am interested really in drawing on the full history of Irish Martial Arts from the early bronze age until the present.

I am keen on meeting up with reinactors in Ireland and particular in the greater Belfast area. I am also keen on general dialogue ref Gaelic martial arts.

What a great site-have really enjoyed reading through the posts... lots of great information, links and pictures.

Cheers!

John-Paul
JohnPaulPatton
Full Name: John-Paul Patton

Re: Belfast based Irish Martial Arts

Postby brendan on Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:25 pm

Hi and welcome...its been a bit quiet on here of late!

There are a few reenactment groups based up around that part of the world but I am not sure how many of them are explicitly martial arts focused. Have you looked at sword forum international and fiori de libieri forum? (spelling could be off).

What you describe is fairly broad spectrum in terms of what you want to cover - do you have any specific place you are planning to start?
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby JohnPaulPatton on Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:51 pm

brendan wrote:Hi and welcome...its been a bit quiet on here of late!

There are a few reenactment groups based up around that part of the world but I am not sure how many of them are explicitly martial arts focused. Have you looked at sword forum international and fiori de libieri forum? (spelling could be off).

What you describe is fairly broad spectrum in terms of what you want to cover - do you have any specific place you are planning to start?

Brendan,

Thanks for your message. I am interested in any groups doing a similar thing locally. Thanks for the forum pointers. Yeah, my approach is broad. I have had one meeting with a few friends- we worked through a lot of unarmed combat and then did some weapon work, sword, shield, shilleaghly and spear. My experience is mostly with Eastern fighting arts-so am just being creative and seeking to translate my training into a western reconstruction.

Cheers

Johny
JohnPaulPatton

Postby nathan on Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:13 pm

hi
just wondering what approach you are going with i might be able to lend some advice as could others on here if we know more about what your aims are.
Also there is little need to use eastern sources when there are plenty of western ones for all the weapons you mentioned. What system are you basing your unarmed stuff on?
there is one group i know of also starting up in the belfast area. There are little sources on combat in europe prior to 1300 and very little in ireland.
hope all goes well.
regards
nathan
for here starts war carrion birds sing, and grey wolves howl
nathan
Active Newbie
Full Name: nathan featherstone

Postby JohnPaulPatton on Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:09 pm

nathan wrote:hi
just wondering what approach you are going with i might be able to lend some advice as could others on here if we know more about what your aims are.
Also there is little need to use eastern sources when there are plenty of western ones for all the weapons you mentioned. What system are you basing your unarmed stuff on?
there is one group i know of also starting up in the belfast area. There are little sources on combat in europe prior to 1300 and very little in ireland.
hope all goes well.
regards
nathan

Nathan,

Thanks for your post. The main style I have done and base unarmed work on is Tai Jutsu a modern eclectic school, which is a synthesis of eastern and western styles (boxing). Much of the self defence training is very practically and universal. I have studied most of what has survived of the western tradition literature-but yeah, there is little for the early Irish period but have looked at the Tain as a source.

Cheers!

Johny
JohnPaulPatton

Postby nathan on Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:09 pm

Well what some european groups have done is to take the weapon they are interested in say with you the spear and then use later sources sucj as ringeck to apply to their learning.
Also the shillelagh does have two exsisting styles not as old as you wish but the principles are the same etc one of these styles there will be a seminar in this year i will post more info on it on the forum soon.
Also a system worth checking out then would be Bartitsu a mix of east and west around the begining of the 1900s it also incorporates early pugilism which the irish practiced and old bare knuckle boxing is very different to modern boxing.
but if you want to work on a system that could resemble what was going on in ireland i suggest Ringen, Glima, Gouren and Pugilism.
nathan
Active Newbie

Postby JohnPaulPatton on Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:54 pm

nathan wrote:Well what some european groups have done is to take the weapon they are interested in say with you the spear and then use later sources sucj as ringeck to apply to their learning.
Also the shillelagh does have two exsisting styles not as old as you wish but the principles are the same etc one of these styles there will be a seminar in this year i will post more info on it on the forum soon.
Also a system worth checking out then would be Bartitsu a mix of east and west around the begining of the 1900s it also incorporates early pugilism which the irish practiced and old bare knuckle boxing is very different to modern boxing.
but if you want to work on a system that could resemble what was going on in ireland i suggest Ringen, Glima, Gouren and Pugilism.

Great stuff-thanks a million! I will follow up those leads. I am very interested in the shilleaghly stuff- I have seen the O Doyle schools work and another can't recall the name of but they seem more USA based than anywhere else. Do please let me know about that seminar!
JohnPaulPatton

Postby nathan on Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:58 pm

glad i can help it is very easy to get lost with this stuff i have spent many hours online sifting through stuff to find a few gems like many others.
it is the doyle style that the seminar is on. the other is an maide mear both are canadian based at the moment
nathan
Active Newbie

Postby JohnPaulPatton on Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:49 pm

nathan wrote:glad i can help it is very easy to get lost with this stuff i have spent many hours online sifting through stuff to find a few gems like many others.
it is the doyle style that the seminar is on. the other is an maide mear both are canadian based at the moment

Cool-thanks again!
JohnPaulPatton

Postby nathan on Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:20 am

i put up in the events section a notice about it.
nathan
Active Newbie

Next

Return to Introductions