My Lucas Type 2 Clontarf era child size shoe

Viking, Saxon, and Early Christian Irish cultures

Moderator: the_power

My Lucas Type 2 Clontarf era child size shoe

Postby consmiles on Fri May 20, 2011 1:25 pm

This shoe is made from a single piece of 3 mm vege tan leather, sown inside out (i.e. invisible sowing) with black bees waxed linen thread, dyed tan.
Note slightly up turned toe, my knife and sheath, goose foot awl with deer antler handle, spool of black bees waxed linen thread and saddlers needle (I make the tools as well). The detailed carving pattern is similar to the Leitrim shoe in the national museum

My proportions are slightly out but I'm getting closer... I have a copy of the journal Lucas produced on Irish shoes but I did not use the pattern given by Lucas. Instead I have developed my own template that I modify after each attempt. My next version will be big enough to fit me, it will be black and have a hard outsole
Attachments
lucastype2a.jpg
lucastype2a.jpg (174.53 KiB) Viewed 3024 times
Last edited by consmiles on Fri May 20, 2011 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Regards
Con
consmiles
Active Newbie
Full Name: Con

Re: My Lucas Type 2 Clontarf era child size shoe

Postby consmiles on Fri May 20, 2011 4:18 pm

Second image of my Lucas type 2 shoe ...
Attachments
lucastype2b.jpg
lucastype2b.jpg (228.69 KiB) Viewed 3006 times
Regards
Con
consmiles
Active Newbie

Postby consmiles on Fri May 20, 2011 4:19 pm

Third image of my Lucas type 2 shoe
Attachments
lucastype2c.jpg
lucastype2c.jpg (184.01 KiB) Viewed 3001 times
Regards
Con
consmiles
Active Newbie

Postby consmiles on Fri May 20, 2011 4:20 pm

Fourth image of my Lucas type 2 shoe
Attachments
lucastype2d.jpg
lucastype2d.jpg (166.93 KiB) Viewed 2986 times
Regards
Con
consmiles
Active Newbie

Postby finnobreanan on Fri May 20, 2011 5:56 pm

Great job! That shoe is awsome!
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

"...The O'Brennans, a sept of thieves without any right or title, ... were a perpetual disturbance to the peace of the county,"
finnobreanan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Scott Cross

Postby brendan on Sat May 21, 2011 3:11 am

looks good, not enough tooled leather shoes out there! - the book 'stepping through time' has an entire chapter on tooling and cuts in leather.
On the specific shoe, isn't it dated to C9 rather than C11? (no access to sources right now) - I accept that the style persisted, but...
Also, you mention black. Being controversial? ;)

Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby consmiles on Sat May 21, 2011 10:22 am

finnobreanan wrote:Great job! That shoe is awsome!

Hi Finn, thank you for your kind words. A lot of thought went into making a pattern and a lot of effort went into revisions - now to adjust proportions and make a wearable version. I'll post here when I've made a pair that fit me.
Regards
Con
consmiles
Active Newbie

Postby consmiles on Sat May 21, 2011 10:34 am

brendan wrote:looks good, not enough tooled leather shoes out there! - the book 'stepping through time' has an entire chapter on tooling and cuts in leather.
On the specific shoe, isn't it dated to C9 rather than C11? (no access to sources right now) - I accept that the style persisted, but...
Also, you mention black. Being controversial? ;)

Brendan

Hi Brendan, did you nearly give my work a compliment - I'm nearly impressed. The big book you own does not show the Lucas Type 2. Are you suggesting that I need advice on tooling leather? This suggests that you are not impressed with my efforts on the 6inch long shoe shown above. 40 specimens of shoes classified as Lucas Type 2 have been found. Opinions date them up to the 900's but I'm saying that this type of shoe is the only type we have nearest to the Clontarf period. Can you suggest a shoe style that's more appropriate for 1014? Quality in styles persisted. Black is easily made - from either crottle and iron water (as declared in the Museum of Country Living) or oak gall with carbon soot and iron water - remember how plentiful oak was....
Regards
Con
consmiles
Active Newbie

Postby brendan on Sat May 21, 2011 11:04 am

I wasnt offering any advice on tooling leather other than that there are not enough people with tooled leather shoes

In terms of the colour black I have a bunch of authentically dyed black leather myself, it looks great but is a very dfifferent effect than you get using modern tanning methods....but you know this.

It could well be that the type 2 is the closest we have to an indigeneous shoe, the question is whether it would be more appropriate to use one from further afield that is closer to contemporary.
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby consmiles on Sat May 21, 2011 7:54 pm

Hi Brendan, black was a standard colour in medieval times - its easily made if one has plenty of slaves to do the harvest work. I only ever use vege tan leather to make medieval replicas but I do use contemporary oil dyes. I doubt if anyone would pay me for my time to source/harvest/prepare and apply 3 layers of authentic black dye to leather shoes that will get very wet the first time they are worn in an Irish field... even one liter of contemporary black oil dye costs E41 these days. I never use chrome tanned leather - you know this cause you've seen my displays - all vege tan leather hand cut and hand sown.

Lucas Type 2 is the nearest Gaelic shoe we have for the Clontarf period. It is very different to Lucas Type 1 which archaeology suggests is much earlier. The Ballinderry Lucas Type 1 that was found with the Ballinderry sword (that I have a battle ready copy of) may be dated to around 900ad even though Type 1's are generally dated to 500ad approx. So it may be that the Lucas Type 2 was worn by the Gaels long after the Clontarf era but that none have been found in a datable context by archaeologists as yet. Lucas type 3 spans thousands of years and may be seen as low status Irish footwear. The Lucas Type 2 is high status in its style and un-necessary elongated toe and extensive carving and slots for webbing to lace around the instep and leg. It is a unique example of a Gaelic style of footwear for the nobility.

People can wear foreign shoes / costumes if they prefer, I don't mind, you and they can reenact any period / culture such as Viking, Saxon, and Early Christian Irish cultures etc. But for those who wish to honour the Gael customs and heritage then having a Lucas Type 2 pair of shoes is the good way to put their best foot forward for the Clontarf era.
Regards
Con
consmiles
Active Newbie

Return to Early-Medieval