mosin nagant rifle

From the Crimean War to the Wars in the Gulf. The death of global empires and the rise of a global economy.

Moderator: the_power

mosin nagant rifle

Postby Na Fianna Éireann on Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:16 pm

can i enquire did the icv or ira or any one else use the russian mosin nagant rifle as i went to the ira museum the other day and one was present
Na Fianna Éireann Fíor inár gCroíthe Neart inár Láimhe Comhsheasmhacht inár dTeanga.
Na Fianna Éireann
Active Newbie
Full Name: i never forget

Re: mosin nagant rifle

Postby michaelcarragher on Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:42 am

Can't say for sure, Mairtin,

but it was mostly Mosin Nagants, I believe (battlefield salvage), that were sent on the Aud and which went to the bottom in Cork harbour. Doubt if anything was raised from that lot, but maybe something else made it in?

They were a surprisingly good rifle. Nagant made great guns (including a unique revolver that sealed the forcing cone by levering the cylinder forward as the cartridge fired, thereby increasing muzzle velocity of the bullet), and that rifle was, and perhaps remains, about the best value on the American market. I almost bought one--at fifty dollars in excellent condition and hundreds available at the price. They fired consistently close groups and for another fifty bucks you could get a "sporter" kit to replace the military furniture. Ammunition was relatively expensive, though, and not every pawnshop and Walmart stocked it: a 7.62mm round, as I recall, but of a different length to the NATO round, which equated to the cheap and ubiquitous .308.
michaelcarragher
Active Newbie
Full Name: Michael Carragher

Postby Na Fianna Éireann on Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:42 am

thank you very much i appreciate this as i was thinking of buying a mosin nagent rather than an SMLE tp portray my Icv uniforms as they are wildly over priced
Na Fianna Éireann Fíor inár gCroíthe Neart inár Láimhe Comhsheasmhacht inár dTeanga.
Na Fianna Éireann
Active Newbie

Postby Na Fianna Éireann on Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:35 am

History and identification of Mosin Nagant rifle

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinID.htm#46.5
Na Fianna Éireann
Active Newbie

Postby michaelcarragher on Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:56 am

Yes, Mairtin,

The "smellie" is expensive. But would you believe, about 15 years ago a large number of them came on the American market at $200 apiece, still in grease, never fired. They had been destined for the RIC, and presumably when the Black and Tans and Auxillaries were deployed they put in their own order and in the bureaucratic ways of things, especially given five British armies then being demobilised, the RIC order was placed in storage and only discovered in the 1990s. Some were sold on this side of the Atlantic too--a friend of mine from London got one, for £200, dearer than the US price, but still a steal for what remains the best all-round bolt-action military rifle ever made.
michaelcarragher
Active Newbie
Full Name: Michael Carragher

Postby Na Fianna Éireann on Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:30 am

thanks for sharing your knowledge , i would like one along with a webley either ill buy from heiko at zib militaria, or i have a shop abroad in england that has genuine ww1 deact s for a good price when i go to betling and detling this year
Na Fianna Éireann
Active Newbie

Return to 20th Century