Highway Man's Ball, 19th Feb. 8pm, Dublin City Centre

Let us know about interesting events here

Moderator: the_power

Highway Man's Ball, 19th Feb. 8pm, Dublin City Centre

Postby Neil on Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:28 am

What: Highwayman's Ball
When: 19th February, from 8pm.
Where: Dublin City Centre. Sycamore club upstairs from Purty Kitchen.
How Much: €25

So, what's it all about.
This is a themed party for those who are either involved in reenactment or like the idea of dressing up in 18th Century inspired clothing. Your costume can be as obsessively accurate as your extensive research can ensure, or reflect your best efforts with that old debs dress and a spare bed sheet. Now is the chance to wear that fabulous kit that would be destroyed by 10 minutes in a muddy field, or indulge your long repressed wish to see how you look in faux leather knee-highs and satin bandana! As long as it conforms to the decency laws of this century, and you can produce an argument (the more ludicrous the better) that it is Highwayman appropriate - you can wear it!

There will be food – it will be of the platter variety rather than a sit down meal, but there will be plenty of it! There is a bar in the venue so no need to venture outside. There will be entertainment, fun, friends and tall tales.

So come along and meet your friends in a venue with running water, flushing toilets, electricity and the chance your kit will make it home without going mouldy. Invite your non-hobby friends who have always secretly envied your opportunity to dress up in fabulous kit, bring your bewildered girlfriend/boyfriend/spouse/significant other and show them that see, it’s all very respectable really…..well……sort of! Family, friends, vaguely interested aquaintances, lets all get together and toast the start of another re-enactment year – it’s going to be a tough one, but we will start it as we mean to go on, sharing good times and looking fabulous!!

No replica weapons, real weapons, sharps of any kind, including eating knives. Sorry guys, it’s a pain, but you know how these things work!!
Balloon swords however are welcome, subject to the ludicrous argument clause above.

Now, down to the basics: We do need people to commit to the money up front, and lodge it into an account - details to be provided by PM. We have a while to sort this, but numbers while flexible are limited so to be fair we will operate on the basis of first money lodged is in the door. This is a completely non profit event, if it flops the organisers will be out of pocket but we are willing to take the risk for a good party
Neil
South Dublin Living History Society
Neil
Full Name: Neil Byrne

Re: Highway Man's Ball, 19th Feb. 8pm, Dublin City Centre

Postby Ethereal Dreamer on Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:47 pm

Also a separate heated, private smoking area. Is good, yes?

Did I mention corsetry? CORSETRY!
Ethereal Dreamer
Full Name: Suzy Cantrell

Postby Neil on Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:57 pm

As previously stated the cost to attend this fabulous event of flouncetry is €25. Payment of this can be made by sending me a PM including your e-mail details so I can mail the details of the bank account the money should be lodged to. If you do not have internet banking an address will be provided for cheques to be sent to. Once lodgement of the money has been confirmed a PDF ticket will be sent to the attendee. A final note of reminder, when transferring the money make sure to include a lodgement reference CONTAINING YOUR NAME otherwise I won't know you paid.

Regards,
Neil
Neil
Neil

Postby Ethereal Dreamer on Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:20 am

Hello all,

The time of this event is drawing nearer and we need people to start confirming whether or not they will be coming and to purchase tickets. It's in the Purty Kitchen, really near fairly inexpensive accommodation and in the city centre.

It'll be fun! Come on.
Ethereal Dreamer

Postby Neil on Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:35 pm

Ok so for all those who intend to go, as already said we will NOT BE TAKING MONEY AT THE DOOR on the night of the event. If you intend going you must have your ticket prebought. In order to buy tickets contact me by PM and I will send you on the details. Payment can be made by internet banking, direct lodgement in a bank, or via post with a cheque etc. The deadline to buy your ticket is Monday 31th January. Thanks, Neil :)
Neil
Neil

Postby Ethereal Dreamer on Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:20 pm

*******IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT*******
Unfortunately, due to admin errors (no real idea, actually) and not the fault of the organisers, the venue was double booked. Apologies to all for the late notice, I only found out about this yesterday and have only recently been able to secure a new date.

This event will now be happening on the 5th of March. Everything else is still the same, but if people now want tickets, you can still get them!!!!!
Ethereal Dreamer

Postby Ethereal Dreamer on Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:56 pm

Just want to say a HUGE thank you to everyone who came along and made the night possible. It was great to see the effort that people made (Including human hair wigs!). An evening of good food, drink and awesome company.
Ethereal Dreamer

Postby finnobreanan on Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:19 pm

Let's see some photos. It sounds like everyone had a grand time.
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

"...The O'Brennans, a sept of thieves without any right or title, ... were a perpetual disturbance to the peace of the county,"
finnobreanan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Scott Cross

Postby brendan on Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:19 pm

there are photos...think mostly on facebook and none of them mine so I cant re-post
I think the best one is probably when people were dancing to Thriller...
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby finnobreanan on Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:28 pm

What! Not "Time Warp"?
If you think of it, tag yourself and Looney in the photos of facebook, then I can probably see them.
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

"...The O'Brennans, a sept of thieves without any right or title, ... were a perpetual disturbance to the peace of the county,"
finnobreanan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Scott Cross

Next

Return to Events