Windlass Irish Sword

Castles, Heavy Cavalry, Cities, Armour and Invention

Moderator: the_power

Windlass Irish Sword

Postby kevin714 on Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:23 pm

Anyone have any information on this Windlass single hand irish sword? I thought it was discontinued but I have seen it offered for sale and am interested to see if it is worth buying.
Attachments
hilt.gif
hilt.gif (15.71 KiB) Viewed 3447 times
Kevin Patrick Molloy
"The Prince of Firceall of the ancient sword is O'Molloy of the freeborn name, full power was granted to him and he held his country uncontrolled" O'Dugain(d.1372 AD)
kevin714
Active Newbie
Full Name: Kevin Molloy

Re: Windlass Irish Sword

Postby Conn Cullach on Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:39 am

Windlass is hit-or-miss. Some of their swords turn out to be surprisingly well made, others aren't so much worth it. This sword originally retailed for pretty cheap (less than USD $200), so I wouldn't shell out much for it. If you do buy it, unscrew the pommel and take a good, long look at the tang, especially where it connects to the blade. If it's not flat all the way from the hilt to pommel, I'd think twice about cutting with it.
yrs,

Chris Cottrell, MFA
Academia Duellatoria student
aka Conn Cullach
Conn Cullach
Full Name: Chris Cottrell

Postby Saverio on Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:30 pm

I picked one of these up a few years ago. It was less than $25. It's worth at least $26, if not $27 ;). It looks good enough as a prop, but I'd not wear it to a real reenactment event. It feels like it would break at the hilt in combat.
Saverio

Postby kevin714 on Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:16 pm

Thanks thats what I needed to know.
Kevin Patrick Molloy
"The Prince of Firceall of the ancient sword is O'Molloy of the freeborn name, full power was granted to him and he held his country uncontrolled" O'Dugain(d.1372 AD)
kevin714
Active Newbie

Postby finnobreanan on Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:40 pm

Saverio wrote:I picked one of these up a few years ago. It was less than $25. It's worth at least $26, if not $27 ;). It looks good enough as a prop, but I'd not wear it to a real reenactment event. It feels like it would break at the hilt in combat.

Actually, the Windlass swords are much better quality than the cheap $25 swords floating around on eBay. I own both, and the Windlass sword is far supior and very good quality. Mine is very solidly made, the other one (not sure who made it) looks like it would bend with a good breeze.
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

"...The O'Brennans, a sept of thieves without any right or title, ... were a perpetual disturbance to the peace of the county,"
finnobreanan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Scott Cross

Postby Saverio on Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:09 pm

I often wonder if mine was cheap because it was from a bad batch. The seller had thirty or so at $22.50.
Saverio

Postby finnobreanan on Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:43 pm

Saverio wrote:I often wonder if mine was cheap because it was from a bad batch. The seller had thirty or so at $22.50.

That really sounds oddly cheap. I know I paid well over $200.00 for my Windlass about 10 years ago.
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

"...The O'Brennans, a sept of thieves without any right or title, ... were a perpetual disturbance to the peace of the county,"
finnobreanan
Active Newbie

Postby Saverio on Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:27 pm

Than either mine was a knockoff or a very faulty batch they were selling off. How solid does your sword feel?
Saverio

Postby finnobreanan on Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:34 am

Saverio wrote:Than either mine was a knockoff or a very faulty batch they were selling off. How solid does your sword feel?

The Windlass Irish sword I have weights 2 1/2 pounds. It is very well made and the blade is relatively straight and true, while the 'El Cheapo' sword I bought weighs 2 lbs, and the blade has many waves in it. There is no comparison (I'm going to bury this one with my sons ashes, since he also did Irish Living History).

I looked at the image you posted again, and the hilt looks exactly like my Windlass, the 'El Cheapo' is a really cheap and poor interpretation of an Irish sword, and very different.

Where did you get this? I may have to stock up, if it is the real deal. :D
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

finnobreanan
Active Newbie

Postby kevin714 on Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:46 am

Here is a couple of pictures of the sword it is a Windlass and apparently they still sell them in Australia. What do you think a good price would be?
Attachments
hilt.jpg
hilt.jpg (127.8 KiB) Viewed 3223 times
sword.jpg
sword.jpg (84.26 KiB) Viewed 3222 times
Kevin Patrick Molloy
kevin714
Active Newbie

Next

Return to Late Medieval