15th Century Armour

Irish and European fighting styles and techniques, and the required Arms & Armour

Moderator: the_power

15th Century Armour

Postby Ethereal Dreamer on Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:09 pm

Hello, I realise that I don't post that much, but I was hoping that people could help me out. I'm hoping to do 15th Century next season and I'm considering armour. I will NOT be getting plate, and that's it, but what I am hoping to get is a brigandeen, plates for my arms (I forget what they're called), a bever (which I'm afraid I don't know how to spell, but hopefully you know what I mean) and articulated gauntlets. And a kettle helm.

So my question is does anyone know of a good trader I could get a decent brig from? And articulated gauntlets? The issue is that most armour is made for men, so I realise that my figure is going to make stuff awkward for people. So I'm looking for someone who is willing, and who can make armour for a woman. Also, it can't be that heavy, not too complex and a reasonable price, say 4-500 is my absolute limit for the brig. And hand protection is absolutel esssential so I'm not taking shortcuts on it.

Thanks!
Suzy ^_^
Ethereal Dreamer
Full Name: Suzy Cantrell

Re: 15th Century Armour

Postby Ambiorix apsealgair on Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:47 pm

For a decent brig it could cost anthing from 800 to grand, you can get cheaper ones but the quality isnt as good :/ would you not wear a gambi with a plackard?? pick one of them up somewhere for under 150 :) you could pick up a bevor and spaulders from gdfb. Ash armouries make amaing custom work, they do authenticly made products which are expensive but they also do cheaper non authenic made armour, its still top quility stuff, they have a catalouge which shows bits and bobs made for woman :) hope this helps :)
Alex
Last edited by Ambiorix apsealgair on Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ambiorix apsealgair
Active Newbie
Full Name: Alex Lee

Postby the_power on Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:13 pm

I got my "brig" for 90 quid in Tintagel, and I love it to bits. Well, technically it's a coat of plates, as the plates are pretty big. But at the time, I needed it so I could fight with slightly broken ribs. There is no reason whatsoever to have to pay so much!

Here is a decent looking brig for €200 - http://www.mardinus.home.pl/_en/oferta/ ... php?id=126 - you might have to pay a little more, as you'll need one tailored. Ask if he's made one for a woman before, ask for photos etc. for proof. Mardinus has made me 4 pieces before, and they were pretty good, but heavy - he makes armour for fighting Russians and nutter Polish fighters, after all. Make sure you stress you want 1.4 or 1.6mm steel.

Most brigs don't protect your upper legs like gambesons do, so you might need to look into some leg armour too.

John
the_power
Active Newbie
Full Name: John Looney

Postby Ethereal Dreamer on Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:57 am

Well, I simply can't fight in something heavier than say, 1.6 and if they turn around and say they decided to make it heavier (like what happened with your stuff, John) I'll be pretty annoyed as it'll be pretty much useless to me. I'm not hardcore/crazy enough to field with broken ribs (seriously what were you thinking???) so that will not be an issue. Also I know that my shape will make it awkward because of the measurement differences. I need smaller, lighter stuff.

A.S.H said made to measure started at £900. Ouch.
Ethereal Dreamer
Full Name: Suzy Cantrell

Postby nathan on Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:40 pm

hey suzy i have been looking into making these things and have been onto near every armourer i could find this year my advise is buy a breastplate you will not find a cheap made to measure brig for anything under what ash quoted and even he is sometimes considered cheap.
to have a smaller lighter brig you would need 16 gauge plates at least from some hardened or spring steel. it again depends on your money and what you want to portray but its likely you could get a made breast plate for less than a brig which if made correctly would be lighter.
do you have your arming jack yet?
brigs are simple to make but its the man hours that go into making them it takes a serious amount of time to make one even a archers brig with larger plates is still hours of work.
also that brig for 200 is not a brig more a cop depending on your period and region it could be used but if its after 1430ish then its unlikely to be seen in northern europe. armour then is like fashion today each ten years it changed.
some brigs come with attached tassets even ones made in the same brig style though fairly uncommon.
what do you need for your arms? as for the rest if you get me on here with a pm or on facebook i can try help you out i have done a colossal amount of research on this but there is alot to learn but i can help as much as i can.
again most of what you want depends on the social rank you want etc. plate does not need to be heavy but it does depend on what you want hop i can help some more.
also fighting with broken ribs hardcore john like it.
for here starts war carrion birds sing, and grey wolves howl
nathan
Active Newbie
Full Name: nathan featherstone

Postby brendan on Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:51 pm

I think that a large part of the manufacture problem related to brigs has to do with finishing the edges of the individual plates. Far easier to pulverise a huge amount of metal :)
The price of Brigs is somewhat surprising, but thems the breaks. A seriously padded Gambeson is an alternate option. My one with 7 layers of heavy canvas is almost indestructable but under 1" in fabric thickness - there are plenty of options. I dont wear it any more as the mobility is affected by armhole design (D'oh!) and I hate fixing stuff.

Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby the_power on Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:39 pm

Interesting. I've most of a helmet made that used 40 plates of steel, each one is a heater shield shape about 50cm x 50cm, bent into a nice convex shape. All the edges nicely filed & smoothed, etc. took about a day to do. Great fun. I never got around to assembling the thing though...

John
the_power
Active Newbie
Full Name: John Looney

Postby brendan on Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:46 pm

a helmet? what sort of helmet needs 40 sheets of metal??
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby nathan on Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:41 pm

a brig normally consists of about 160-200 or so plates and roughly 1500 rivets along with the layers of fabric you choose to make it from the process is simple but assembly takes a huge amount of time thats the issue. for the rivets alone you have to mark and drill every plate then mark and punch the cloth then you can begin to rivet a long and time consuming process. as well as that every single plate must be tinned or painted to help preserve them.
you could always try steel mastery http://steel-mastery.com/index.php?&mod ... rent_id=17
it seems they charge 50$ or so for alterations and you can add spaulders to the design for 77 or so it might be worth looking into suzy. make sure to get plates thicker than 1mm though they overlap but still in my books 1.5mm is the minimum you want.
i have my reservations about them as you cant see how the plates are overlapped and its closer to an archers brig than the more common lung plate style.
again hope this can help but not knowing what period and style you want its hard to help armour in the 15th c is like fashion today every few years it changes sometimes dramatically.
for here starts war carrion birds sing, and grey wolves howl
nathan
Active Newbie
Full Name: nathan featherstone

Postby Cathal on Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:25 pm

the_power wrote: ...about 50cm x 50cm...

Ehm.... isn't in millimeters you are talking of?? :?: :?:
...try always to be on the right end of the sword...
Cathal
Active Newbie
Full Name: Stefan Seiler

Return to Historic Martial Arts, Arms and Armour