Battle of the Flags 2011

Let us know about interesting events here

Moderator: the_power

Battle of the Flags 2011

Postby Aodhán on Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:23 pm

Battle of the flags will take place on the 5th of February, 2011.

It will once again be held in the lower grounds of UCC, we expect.

Registration taken on the Friday night in Cissie Young's pub from 9pm-12:30am and Saturday morning 10am onwards.

There will be a safety check for all participants an 11am and we will hopefully kick off at 12pm.

There are noo preset teams this year. All teams will be made out on the day in a fair and impartial manner by experience level and "armoured" level.

Anyone who needs information for accomodation let me know and I can send you a list of B&B's, hostels, etc.

Full rules list in the next post.

Hope to see you all there.

Here is a link to the official facebook page!
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=146190795425079&index=1
Last edited by Aodhán on Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aodhán
Full Name: Aodhán O'Leary

Re: Battle of the Flags 2011

Postby Aodhán on Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:43 pm

So here is the list of rules. Please note that these are susceptible to change.

Battle of the Flags Rules

Periods Allowed:
Bronze Age - World War 2

WEAPONS/ARMOUR NOT ALLOWED:

Any sharp edged weapon. (all will be inspected before the event)

Any weapons with spikes or sharp points.

Projectiles of any form,

Black Powder weapons,

Maces,

Hammers,

Morning stars,

Flails,

Spiked helms with sharp spikes and/or spikes greater than an inch,

Or any weapon or piece of armour that can be categorised as part of the above as dictated by the marshalls.

The above list is not definitive and can be adapted on the day.

The decision of the Marshall is final.

If you are not sure as to whether or not your weapon falls under these headings, please contact us in advance or else bring secondary weapons

Clothing:
Anything befitting period portrayed. No nudity allowed.

Underwear for those without pants is strongly recommended.

FOOTWEAR:

High grip footwear is required, modern footwear is allowable.

Shoes with no grip (smooth soles) such as leather sole re-enactment shoes are unsuitible for this event and are hence not recommended.

PROTECTION:

Hand protection is mandatory. Participants will not be allowed on the field without minimal hand protection of welding gloves.

Head protection is strongly recommended, especially for close range combatants.

Chest protection is recommended for everyone (especially women).

Groin protection is recommended for men.

AGE LIMIT:

No-one under the age of 17 is allowed participate in combat.

Rules of the Game:

1. Each team will be allocated a flag and a base.

2. When a flag is captured points are only awarded for the flag when any team member successfully deposits a flag of any colour other than his/her own team colour with the Scorekeeper.

Captured flags can subsequently be captured by an opposing team at any time before it reaches the Scorekeeper's 'safe zone'.

3. 1 flag = 1 point for the team who presents it, no penalty will be incurred for the team whose flag was captured. 10 bonus points will be awarded to a team for each full set of flags they have collected throughout the round.

4. Any member of a team can pick up and/or protect their own team's flag.
One member of a team must be in possession of their own team's flag at any given time.

5. If any member dies in combat whilst holding the flag, they are not allowed to obstruct an enemy from picking up said flag, i.e. lying/standing on the flag or throwing the flag to another team member.

6. When a combatant is killed they must return to their base.

7. Killed team members can return to the battle once:
i) Their team flag has been captured and collected from the Scorekeeper
ii) All members of the team are assembled in the team base.

This is the only way a captured flag may return to the field.
The flag must be returned to the base before all team members can be considered alive again.

8. No team may score a point unless their own flag is on the field (Not in a base, or with the Scorekeeper).

9. A team's flag once captured may be re-captured by the owning team with no penalty incurred so long as it has not been presented to the Scorekeeper for the point.

10. Threathening the Marshalls/Judges is not acceptable. Their decision is final.

11. All armoured persons (only chainmail and steel plate count as armour) are dead after 2 hits to a kill zone area.

All unarmoured persons (anyone not wearing steel armour), are dead after 1 hit to a kill zone.

(A marshall will judge at the beginning of combat whether your level of armour entitles you to two-hits).

12. Kill zones are classified as: From below the collarbone to above the knees, and the upperarm from above elbow to start of shoulder. All other areas are not counted. Groin shots are not counted as kills.

Absolutely no head shots

– Anyone using head shots will spend 2 cycles of their flag being captured in the sin bin (i.e. they are not allowed to take part).

13. Back shots are only allowed under 4 conditions. They are as follows:

(i) When a sword is used to slice across the back from a frontal or side attack. The person must see you for this to count.

(ii) When coming from behind, only "safe" back shots are allowed. i.e. resting your weapon across your opponents back rather than landing a kill shot. Yelling "from behind" is no longer necessary. (People who don't keep checking behind them during a battle deserved to be killed )

This counts as the 2 hits required to kill an armoured person where necessary.

(iii) The person being attacked from behind must not be engaged in combat. (i.e. No sneaking up behind someone in a fight). If two teams are fighting, members of each team can attack from behind against the other team if they get the chance.

(iv) The attacker does not stand directly behind the fighter while killing him.

14. No Slip Shots/Snooker Queueing of any description. (A good rule of thumb for this being do not bring your hands closer than waist distance when fighting with two-handed spear)

15. No wrestling or grappling.

16. If you get hit, be gracious and take your kills. Sportsmanship is highly valued in re-enactment. All unsportsmenlike acts are subject to penalties, as well as being talked about in the pub.

17. Any disputes should be brought to the attention of a marshal for mediation.

18. All fights are one team facing off against one team. If two teams are engaged in a fight, there is no coming in from the side.

* In the event of a tie:

Tied teams will be asked to fight each other face on. The winner is the team who has the last man standing.

** The 8 hour rule will apply. if you plan to fight at 11am stop drinking by 3am, etc.
(This includes all mind altering sustances.)
Aodhán
Full Name: Aodhán O'Leary

Postby brendan on Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:44 pm

Its that time of year when BotF rules are announced and we all rush in to nit pick!
- The weapons restrictions do look more streamlined than in some previous versions of the rules
Head protection is strongly recommended, especially for close range combatant

-Can you define what you mean by this? Is this implying that people using short weapons should use head protection or is it more about fighting style?...but then I tend to veer towards saying that everyone should have head and hand as a minimum <shrug> but what do I know about head injuries?
- Armour and its benefits. There is no benefit in this rules system to wearing plate. Maille may be worth the effort, though in a weight:benefit calculation I would probably go with my Brig.
- Kill zones. You will need to be very specific on this. I dont really care what kill zones you pick - I can adapt to them - but as it stands it is possible to stab with a spear to the upper chest area immediately below the neck. Is this the intention?
- Allowing back shots is fine, the descriptions seem to relate to short weapons only i.e. If I am a spearman who somehow gets behind an enemy what shots are legit?
- victory conditions:
[url]Tied teams will be asked to fight each other face on. The winner is the team who has the last man standing.[/url]
How does this affect teams that may have a few female members, one of which might be the last one standing? ;)

And surely you meant to say that NO mind altering drugs will be tolerated rather than that they wont be tolerated in the 8 hours before the fight? I have fought stoners and people out of their heads on other substances and it is not a pleasant thing to encounter on a battle field or in a training environment.

A separate query - one I alluded to on FB - the general run of the competition can tend to lull just before the main break and can fragment after that with people dropping out.
Have you looked at modifying the format a bit, so that there are different ways to get points by different trials/elements?
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby brendan on Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:47 pm

Its that time of year when BotF rules are announced and we all rush in to nit pick!
- The weapons restrictions do look more streamlined than in some previous versions of the rules

-Can you define what you mean by this? Is this implying that people using short weapons should use head protection or is it more about fighting style?...but then I tend to veer towards saying that everyone should have head and hand as a minimum <shrug> but what do I know about head injuries?
- Armour and its benefits. There is no benefit in this rules system to wearing plate. Maille may be worth the effort, though in a weight:benefit calculation I would probably go with my Brig.
- Kill zones. You will need to be very specific on this. I dont really care what kill zones you pick - I can adapt to them - but as it stands it is possible to stab with a spear to the upper chest area immediately below the neck. Is this the intention?
- Allowing back shots is fine, the descriptions seem to relate to short weapons only i.e. If I am a spearman who somehow gets behind an enemy what shots are legit?
- victory conditions:
[url]Tied teams will be asked to fight each other face on. The winner is the team who has the last man standing.[/url]
How does this affect teams that may have a few female members, one of which might be the last one standing? ;)

And surely you meant to say that NO mind altering drugs will be tolerated rather than that they wont be tolerated in the 8 hours before the fight? I have fought stoners and people out of their heads on other substances and it is not a pleasant thing to encounter on a battle field or in a training environment.

A separate query - one I alluded to on FB - the general run of the competition can tend to lull just before the main break and can fragment after that with people dropping out.
Have you looked at modifying the format a bit, so that there are different ways to get points by different trials/elements?
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby Nerva on Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:16 pm

Salve Aodhan,

Great news, looking forward to it.

Vale,

Nerva.
Vale

Marcvs Vlpius Nerva

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Pilus Prior Cohors VIII Legionis XX Valeria Victrix

http://www.romanarmy.ie

info@romanarmy.ie

nerva@romanarmy.ie
Nerva
Active Newbie
Full Name: Martin McAree

Location: Corcagia, Hibernia Pronvincia - Cork, Ireland, to you Barbarians!

Postby sabrewolfe on Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:10 am

brendan wrote:

Again head and hand protection, this comes up every year i dont understand people spending alot of money on kit and then not getting a decent helmet for themselves. A concussion will really ruin your weekend, I will have a few helms down with me for the weekend PM me if you need one.

brendan wrote:And surely you meant to say that NO mind altering drugs will be tolerated rather than that they wont be tolerated in the 8 hours before the fight? I have fought stoners and people out of their heads on other substances and it is not a pleasant thing to encounter on a battle field or in a training environment.

I'd second that. There should be no toleration of any imparement on the part of combatants due to the use of alcohol, legal perscription or illegal drugs. If you are not fit to fight then you shouldnt, when it comes to this gig. There is a huge potential for injury with even the slightest imparement, flags is a great event and very safe when people use common sense. If you normally smoke a few joints at the weekend or take other stuff like a ton of drink save it for after the battle. Looking forward to it this year, wont be competing for various reasons but will be on the sidelines ready to patch people up.

{edited to clarify comments}
Last edited by sabrewolfe on Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Monkey The Medic (EMT)
An Fáinne Fiá­in

Need a free Medic or First Aider for your gig check out http://sites.google.com/site/sabre151/monkeymedical
Trauma Junkie "Its not that I want you to get hurt, I just want to be there when you are"
sabrewolfe
Active Newbie
Full Name: Paul Brangan

Postby Ethereal Dreamer on Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:51 pm

I'm just curious, if World War II kit is allowed, if they're not allowed use black powder, just what are they allowed to use?

Also regarding mind-altering substances, what do you mean exactly by that? You need to be really clear or people will look for loopholes.
Ethereal Dreamer
Full Name: Suzy Cantrell

Postby nathan on Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:27 pm

had a great time last year looking forward to it. this year maybe try do something about teams standing by the flag deposit area waiting for flags. otherwise great fun and am looking forward to it.
for here starts war carrion birds sing, and grey wolves howl
nathan
Active Newbie
Full Name: nathan featherstone

Postby the_power on Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:17 pm

A great rule-change would be "If you take a flag in combat, your team all come back to life". It would stop people hatching near the Marshalls, waiting on one or two man teams with two flags.

John
the_power
Active Newbie
Full Name: John Looney

Postby sabrewolfe on Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:00 am

the_power wrote:A great rule-change would be "If you take a flag in combat, your team all come back to life". It would stop people hatching near the Marshalls, waiting on one or two man teams with two flags.

John

:D That would be a sweet rule change, that hatching was always a big problem you'd think you were doing sweet till you ran into a crowd waiting up near the marshalls
Monkey The Medic (EMT)
An Fáinne Fiá­in

Need a free Medic or First Aider for your gig check out http://sites.google.com/site/sabre151/monkeymedical
Trauma Junkie "Its not that I want you to get hurt, I just want to be there when you are"
sabrewolfe
Active Newbie
Full Name: Paul Brangan

Next

Return to Events