Kilcooley Abbey, Co. Tipp

Moderator: the_power

Kilcooley Abbey, Co. Tipp

Postby Cathal on Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:02 am

Hi Folks,

last spring we went to Kilcooley Abbey, just to find it locked up like Fort Knox. So, does anyone here know how to get in or where to pick up the keys? We'd be back in the first week of November and it would be rather nice to get access.

Thanks for your help!
So long, Stefan
...try always to be on the right end of the sword...
Cathal
Active Newbie
Full Name: Stefan Seiler

Re: Kilcooley Abbey, Co. Tipp

Postby finnobreanan on Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:24 am

Kilcooley Abbey in Gortnahoo? It was locked up tighter than a drum when I was there a few years ago. Never did find the "Keeper of the Keys". Very disappointing, since all my Murray and Quinlan ancestors were from Gortnahoo.
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

"...The O'Brennans, a sept of thieves without any right or title, ... were a perpetual disturbance to the peace of the county,"
finnobreanan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Scott Cross

Postby Na Fianna Éireann on Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:03 am

19 Feb. 2010: The abbey building is temporarily closed at present, due to structural problem/s. You can only photograph it from the outside!

Also . . . the National Monument road-sign at the entrance to the estate is not in situ just now . . . and do heed the warning re Deer Culling, as some shooting is taking place!
Na Fianna Éireann Fíor inár gCroíthe Neart inár Láimhe Comhsheasmhacht inár dTeanga.
Na Fianna Éireann
Active Newbie
Full Name: i never forget

Postby Cathal on Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:13 am

What a shame. This is an abbey of outstanding beauty. Some of the coutry's finest grave slabs are inside, i was told. How can they remove a National Monument sign? Are private interests nowadays more important than the history of a nation? Things are going strange sometimes... i'm realy disappointed.
...try always to be on the right end of the sword...
Cathal
Active Newbie
Full Name: Stefan Seiler

Return to General Chat