Fort Camden

Let us know about interesting events here

Moderator: the_power

Fort Camden

Postby museumtom on Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:58 pm

I took these videos before the public were allowed in. Its about the ruined buildings that are earmarked for repair. Myself and Mick had a great show and weekend and as usual the Cork welcome and facilitieswere second to none. This a new venue for re-enactment and its a rall cracker. I did not take any video of the tunnels as I was too busy. I am sure the others who were there will upload some shortly. The Irish Great War Society and Colms Yanks ( and a few rebels) were in attendance with the Coast Guards, and some guy with a lot of canon. Gary and Matt were there also.
http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/cl ... 1_6779.mp4

Next year's show will be huge as more of the fort will have been reclaimed, and available for re-enactors. More videos are being uploaded as fast as my server will serve.
Fun fun fun.
Regards.
Tom.
museumtom
Active Newbie
Full Name: Tom Burnell

Re: Fort Camden

Postby museumtom on Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:04 pm

museumtom
Active Newbie
Full Name: Tom Burnell

Postby bigmac on Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:25 am

A few members of IGWS were able to put on a static display in full dress at Fort Camden on Sunday 26th September in support of the Group renovating the marvelous, but derelict coastal battery fort. Although still in a sorry state, the renovators have done some excellent work so far and we were happy to attend. Our display and uniforms created a lot of interest with many people sharing their stories of fallen and surviving relatives that fought in the Great War.

The fort is in an excellent location and has great potential for future IGWS displays. The Renovation Committee have asked us to attend again and look forward to contacting us next year to work around our calender for future multi-date participation.

Les Newman (GO4)

27/09/2010
Irish Great War Society.
Make History Live

www.irishgreatwarsociety.com
bigmac
Full Name: Darren McMahon

Postby riddler on Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:33 am

I agree with les about the amount of work that has been put into this fort in the last 6 weeks and i`ve seen that it is brilliantly done and so fast.......This fort, is of all forts within ireland is the BEST, because of it`s vast array of tunnels and history surrounding it.....We the IMRG were delighted to give a WWii reenactment fight and display on it`s final weekend of closing for the winter and been asked back for the start of their opening next summer....looking forward to that and to see how the work is going......I can see this fort been more popular with tourists than blarney castle.
riddler
Full Name: paul falvey

Postby Fort Camden on Fri May 27, 2011 5:59 pm

The Fort Will be open to the public this year from the 2nd 3rd of july to the 24th 25th september.

we hope to hold re-enactments on the start and end of our season
with that in mind all re-enactors are welcome to come and display their gear and what they do.
our main aim in this is to bring as many members of the public in to see the fort and the ork thats going on all the time.

we want to raise public awareness of the plight of the fort and the project to restore it to its former glory.

this is a great site and a reat place for an re-enactment venue for all groups.

its open to all groups and all periods more the merrier are welcome to attend
Fort Camden
Full Name: Rescue Camden Committe

Postby brendan on Sat May 28, 2011 2:57 am

Hi,
I am guessing from what you have said that there is no funding for any event that might take place there - is that correct? - Transporting equipment can get expensive quick; if there is no funding then there is a legitimate question as to whether the public will be charged in to see the displays - there has been trouble over lack of communication on this sort of thing in the past.

What sort of time periods are correct for the fort?

Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby Fort Camden on Sat May 28, 2011 7:49 pm

Hi Brendan
In answer to your question re expense etc.
The fort is been run by a volunteer group with the aim of restoring the fort.
There is no plans this year to charge members of the public who come to the fort.
However there will be a donation box on the gate.
The fort is open to all periods as we would hope to have a link to history at the fort during the time we have it open, reason for this as it's early stages yet and a lot of the fort is in neglect.
We have only two rooms fully restored and we will also have some of the underground tunnel system open as well this year. All the work at the moment is clearing years of undergrowth to have a safe aera for the public to walk around and see the fort buildings and gun emplacements.
However there will be food for re-enactors and a BBQ at nite.
We are aware this is a big ask of people to give up there free time to support us but as the project grows we might be in a better position next year.
Fort Camden
Full Name: Rescue Camden Committe

Postby dirtyshirt on Tue May 31, 2011 10:46 am

Hi,
Dirty shirt here we the irish great war society had a great time and expierience
last year in fort camden and hope to repeat it this year.Unfortunately on the
2nd of july we are comitted to a display and presentation on the great war
in conjunction with the cork branch of the westeren front association in
the museuem in fitzgerald park cork city.So hope there will be other days and events
during the year in camden.
dirtyshirt
Full Name: eugenepower

Postby brendan on Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:52 pm

Best of luck with the project and the event! I can only imagine how many hours it is consuming
I wont be around much myself this summer but hope it goes well for you
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby Nerva on Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:06 pm

Salvete Omnes!

I'll be bringing equipment and people down to the Fort from lunch time tomorrow onwards. If anybody needs a lift or stuff shifted then let me know.

Valete,

Narva.
Vale

Marcvs Vlpius Nerva

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Pilus Prior Cohors VIII Legionis XX Valeria Victrix

http://www.romanarmy.ie

info@romanarmy.ie

nerva@romanarmy.ie
Nerva
Active Newbie
Full Name: Martin McAree

Location: Corcagia, Hibernia Pronvincia - Cork, Ireland, to you Barbarians!

Next

Return to Events