Wooden swords and spear poles

Merchants can advertise here, private individuals are welcome to hawk their wares. Seek advice on new investments!

Moderator: the_power

Wooden swords and spear poles

Postby PòldeRòiste on Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:11 pm

I'm starting up a Reenactment Society in CIT and I need an idea about cost and which suppliers would be best to contact. Any information would much appreciated.
PòldeRòiste
Full Name: Paul Roche

Re: Wooden swords and spear poles

Postby brendan on Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:32 pm

http://www.medievalartandwoodcraft.com/ make really good wooden wasters. they are made by a guy who knows how to use a sword so are weighted correctly. I have bought a bunch of them and found them effective. And reasonably priced. Most wooden wasters are made by carpenters who make something sword shaped.
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby PòldeRòiste on Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:51 pm

Have you any contact details? I can't seem to find them on the site.
PòldeRòiste

Postby knightofredemption on Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:59 pm

Purpleheart wasters are also very good, mine have lasted years http://www.woodenswords.com/ Also the Dave Rawlings range of synthetics are worth considering http://www.theknightshop.co.uk/catalog/hema-synthetic-waster-sparring-swords-c-563_573.html?osCsid=b320ab32998d7325f8c1e7e921771ae9 we have been sparring with these for a while and the single handers are excellent. The hand and a half are a little too flexible for my taste but still very usable.
Everything in moderation, including Moderation.
knightofredemption
Site Admin
Full Name: Paul Wickham

Postby brendan on Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:46 pm

I think I have/had a purpleheart wooden waster (single hander) but found the balance to be off and the overall weight too heavy; indestructable but too heavy. The two handers were better because the weight problem was not so pronounced.
The Rawlings synthetics (name of band there for sure) are good in terms of getting people comfortable with using some that weighs and handles more or less like a real sword. They are not good for practicing binds and other similar maneuvers as there is no traction on the surface; and they dont survive attacking maille so well

Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie

Postby knightofredemption on Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:24 pm

The synthetics work fine in the bind after some use, and are better than wood as that has no give or feel. It depends what you you want from a training weapon, and how and what you are training for. Later purpleheart wasters seem better balanced than they were, but all wasters are always a compromise. Just putting out options here.
Everything in moderation, including Moderation.
knightofredemption
Site Admin
Full Name: Paul Wickham

Postby brendan on Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:02 am

The other factor is durability.
I do like the newer nylon weapons in terms of feel (despite my previous and opposed comment on binding) but they are not designed to last forever. The wooden ones will prob (imo) last a bit longer...but that depends on use

Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie

Postby PòldeRòiste on Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:42 am

The main things I need are spear poles. Have you any idea where I can get them in Ireland or a place in the UK that would deliver them cheaply?
PòldeRòiste

Postby brendan on Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:45 am

Ah!...spear poles.
You can get high quality ash spear poles in the UK for £12-18 or thereabouts. Over here not so much (unless there is a secret source somewhere) which leaves you using the poles you can get in woodies and their ilk - which (if memory serves me right) kick in at about eur30.

Delivery from the UK is an issue. I know that we were looking at getting a bunch but it would involve someone getting the ferry over and bringing a vanload back.
brendan
Active Newbie

Postby the_power on Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:48 pm

Actually, if anyone is driving over to Liverpool/Bradford, and wants to make a few quid, let me know. We'ed love to order up a crap load of spear poles, wooden-pole axe wasters, and a few more swords. But transport..and time is a killer.

John
the_power
Active Newbie
Full Name: John Looney

Next

Return to Buy and Sell