New to the forum.

Introduce yourself here; who you are, where you are based, and any groups you are in.

Moderator: the_power

New to the forum.

Postby Aoibhe on Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:59 am

Hey, everyone. It's lovely to meet you all.
Since this seems to be the place to put intros, I figured it's a good place to start.
I've been interested in re-enactment for years, but always assumed it wasn't something done on any scale in Ireland. Glad I seem to be wrong!

I spin (with my own wheel, a castle-style wheel; and with a drop spindle), can weave, do a little leather-work, knit and crochet well (though that's not likely to be much help), dye wool naturally, and have gotten into wine and mead fermenting in the last year or two.

I've loved Irish history since I was about 12, being very interested in the Rising, Treaty, Civil War end of things, but I've also got a huge interest in Hiberno-Celtic culture and the Viking's arrival in Ireland.

I am a complete newbie when it comes to joining groups, and was wondering if there are any in the Dublin area who might need someone with these skills?
Last edited by Aoibhe on Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Other people have a nationality. The Irish have a psychosis.
Aoibhe
Full Name: Aoibhe Ni Shuilleabhain

Re: New to the forum.

Postby brendan on Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:30 am

Aoibhe,
there are a few active Dublin based groups, and any of them would probably be compatible with your interests. Two that might be of interest are:
- Fingal Living History Society - based in Swords but also Cavan(!). Barry is probably best point of contact for this
- South Dublin Living History Society - which despite its name actually has a member living in Baldoyle (I am a member of this group)

It is probably worth meeting people from a few groups to figure out what works best for you/them.

Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby Aoibhe on Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:37 am

That's a great help, Brendan. Thanks a million.
I'm probably coming at this at completely the wrong time of the year as I expect most events are summer ones, but when I get a fire under me, there's no point in ignoring it.

That's good advise on trying out a few groups before I settle, too.

When does the South Dublin group meet up? Is it a regular thing, or is it more sporadic. I'd love to meet your Baldoyle member, to see what the lie of the land is. : ) I'm living in Baldoyle, myself, too.
Aoibhe

Postby brendan on Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:47 am

The 'season' tends to run May-ish to September-ish with a few shoulder season events.
The 'off-season' tends to be when people make kit etc, or at least start to (And finish some hour of the morning of the event they need it for)
The South Dublin group does combat training in Ballymun most Sundays with make and do sessions on a regular but somewhat informal basis. The Fingal group also occasionally use the Ballymun venue for training, though I am not sure of their schedule or other activities (One of them should be able to help you)

Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby Aoibhe on Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:19 pm

Ah, so a crafty lady joining now may be of reasonable use. Fantastic!
I've sent a few short messages out, so we'll see where I settle.
Cheers for your help, good sir. : )
Aoibhe

Return to Introductions