The Leine

Viking, Saxon, and Early Christian Irish cultures

Moderator: the_power

The Leine

Postby Segan Gilla Patraic on Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:19 pm

I am an SCA member in the states. My particular Viking group is doing its best to be as period as possibly while still being constrained by SCA armor rules. Our dress garb however is much better at being true period clothing. We are a mix of Danes, Scotts, Rus, and Irish vikings.

I am Hiberno-Norse. My garb is very heavily influenced by my Danish Knight. I am looking to craft a more Irish kit.

I was hoping to see some nice photos of your Irish kits in the 9-10th centuries. I particularly would like to see some nice examples of your Leines. Not to be confused with loins. =D

Thanks all.

Sean Shapiro
(Segan Gilla Pataic)
Segan Gilla Patraic
Full Name: Sean Shapiro

Re: The Leine

Postby Jason H on Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:44 pm

Actually, while this subject is new I'd also like to ask a question. In regards to the Leine, are there multiple weaves plausible for the fabric or just plain old linen? I've found some nice Broken Diamond twill and herringbone types.
Jason H
Full Name: Jason Harris

Postby finnobreanan on Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:34 am

Jason,

There is no evidence, historically, for the weaves you are describing. Historical fabric from the time period, and later, is a simple weft and warp weave.

I live in the States, and I only do Irish Living History now-a-days. There are no historical garments that have survived (linen decomposes; wool and leather are preserved in bogs), but you need to know the technology...you can't do that weave on a vertical loom!

You can get proper linen from any number of sources; here is the company that I have worked with:

http://www.burnleyandtrowbridge.com/hea ... linen.aspx

Best wishes,
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

"...The O'Brennans, a sept of thieves without any right or title, ... were a perpetual disturbance to the peace of the county,"
finnobreanan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Scott Cross

Postby Jason H on Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:48 am

My current Leine is standard old linen with some wool split stitches to decorate the edges. I don't know anything at all about weaving, and assumed if they can weave broken herringbone wool they could do the same with Linen. Thanks for setting me straight before I ran off and bought some.
Jason H

Postby Jason H on Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 pm

In response to the original post. Here's a photo of my Leine. In Hindsight I'd of chosen to do the main body in a colour but I am a little afraid of selecting shades that ape vegetable dyes. It's Natural linen with green trim. I don't know if it's accurate to use trim. I just didn't want something too plain.
Attachments
leine small.jpg
leine small.jpg (37.58 KiB) Viewed 2521 times
Jason H

Postby Segan Gilla Patraic on Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:49 pm

Thats a nice Liene. Am I right to assume that most leines made around the 9-10th century look very similar to Viking tunics. I have wondered if the word Leine is much like the word Suit or or t-shirt. How many variations can there be of the Leine. A modern suit has changed very much in a 100 year period. What are the thoughts on various Leine "Styles"?
Segan Gilla Patraic
Full Name: Sean Shapiro

Postby finnobreanan on Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:47 pm

The illustrations in Gerald of Wales book, The History and Topography of Ireland, dates to the 12th century, but has many illustrations of Irish wearing Leinte and trews. It is a simple garment with tapered sleeves and reaching to about the knees:
http://molcat1.bl.uk/illcat/ILLUMIN.ASP ... llID=43351
http://molcat1.bl.uk/illcat/ILLUMIN.ASP ... llID=43345
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

"...The O'Brennans, a sept of thieves without any right or title, ... were a perpetual disturbance to the peace of the county,"
finnobreanan
Active Newbie

Postby panda on Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:55 pm

finnobreanan wrote:Jason,

There is no evidence, historically, for the weaves you are describing. Historical fabric from the time period, and later, is a simple weft and warp weave.

Best wishes,

I'd beg to differ. There are several finds from the viking age that show patterned weaves. I was in the museum in Dublin last Tuesday. There was a lovely example of diamond twill. I'm fairly sure that plain weave is the exception rather than the rule when it comes to finds
"Althalus was a thief after all and he devoutly believed that actually working for a living was immoral"

Remember kids: fork + shoe = spleen

Fightin, drinkin' an' snaffling coo beastie!!!!!!!!!!
panda
Active Newbie

Postby finnobreanan on Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:52 pm

panda wrote:
finnobreanan wrote:Jason,

Best wishes,

I'd beg to differ. There are several finds from the viking age that show patterned weaves. I was in the museum in Dublin last Tuesday. There was a lovely example of diamond twill. I'm fairly sure that plain weave is the exception rather than the rule when it comes to finds

Panda,

I strongly agree with your comment, when it concerns wool. The problem is there are no surviving linen garments that I am aware of. Mathew Newsome wrote an excellant article on the Leine
http://albanach.org/leine.html
Unfortunately, a leine/tunic found in a grave sight in Sutherland, Scotland and known as the 'Rogart Shirt', is no longer available on his website, but is probably used in his book. One source describes it as linen, while another describes it as wool (go figure that one!) and of a plain weeve. This is all could find on the Rogart Shirt:
http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-ca ... ogart.html

Is anyone else aware of any other similar known garment?
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

finnobreanan
Active Newbie

Postby brendan on Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:38 am

Giraldus also has pictures of the Cow man of Wicklow...just saying
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Next

Return to Early-Medieval