Pics from Museums

Moderator: the_power

Pics from Museums

Postby oleg on Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:06 am

I've recently contacted the National Museum of Ireland about their ban on taking photos and got a reply from Marketing & PR Executive:
The policy of the National Museum of Ireland is NOT to allow photography
within our exhibition spaces, this is at the request of our Director.
You are welcome to take photos externally of the buildings but with
regret NOT internally.

Reenact picts, brits, vikings and slavs. They don't ban taking pictures and you can expect lots of high quality pictures like this:
http://museum.velizariy.kiev.ua/chernig ... index.html

Is it something I can expect from other Irish museums?
http://www.bran-deas.kiev.ua
Bran-Deas - group, focused on Ireland(IX-XI) located in Kiev, Ukraine.
Goddammit, sign up for free!
oleg
Active Newbie
Full Name: Oleg Shevtoff

Re: Pics from Museums

Postby brendan on Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:29 am

I know that it is possible to get a permit to photograph in the museum, but I think that it can only be done on Mondays - when the museum is closed to the public.
I will check with someone who has done so.
I am not sure what the story is regarding items that are not on public display

Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby Swifty on Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:39 am

brendan wrote:I know that it is possible to get a permit to photograph in the museum, but I think that it can only be done on Mondays - when the museum is closed to the public.
I will check with someone who has done so.
I am not sure what the story is regarding items that are not on public display

Brendan

Artefacts not on public display can be photographed but this must be booked with the Topographical Files Officer - and likewise - only on Mondays.
D Swift www.claiomh.ie c.795-1660
Swifty
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Swift

Postby sabrewolfe on Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:59 am

It used to be that you could go in and take photgraphs after getting the permit. The last time I was in there 2007, during this visit I was approached by a less than friendly person demanding to know how I got there and what right I had to take so the policy may have changed after my visit.

The basic rules were:

No flash photography.
No publishing photo's without permission.
No distrubuting photo's without permission
A full copy of all photo's must be given to the museuem so they know what images you have.

Your best bet is to contact the very friendly and helpfull staff in the Rights and Reproductions department. If its still permitted they will send you on the form R5 which gives you permission, once completed return it to them and they will arrange a day for your visit.

The Rights & Reproductions Section National Museum of Ireland, Collins Barracks, Benburb Street, Dublin 7, Ireland.
Tel: + 353 1 6486473 Fax: + 353 1 6707533 E-mail: imagelibrary@museum.ie Web: www.museum.ie

Lets us know how you get on as Im curious to see if it has changed.
Monkey The Medic (EMT)
An Fáinne Fiá­in

Need a free Medic or First Aider for your gig check out http://sites.google.com/site/sabre151/monkeymedical
Trauma Junkie "Its not that I want you to get hurt, I just want to be there when you are"
sabrewolfe
Active Newbie
Full Name: Paul Brangan

Postby Freebeard on Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:33 pm

Last year, I was up in the museum meeting with one of the directors of weapons. The rules they gave me on taking any photos were pretty much what both Swifty and Sabrewolf said. Though they did let me know that photos can be requested, but I think there is a charge for these photos, and the normal rules apply in regards to reproduction and distribution etc.
-'Dligid Diummus Dermat'

"Wyt ti’n ffrwtin fel gwyddel"
(you are farting like an irishman)
Freebeard
Active Newbie
Full Name: Aindrias Ó Broin

Postby finnobreanan on Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:40 am

Lads,

This is pretty much standard policy for all museums concerning photography, but most smaller museums could care less, or really know less. I work for a large regional museum in Wisconsin, and (unfortunatley) I am the photograph and 'Publication Rights" Nazi (I enforce the usage rights or refer violations to the City Attorney).

Museums own the 'Usage Rights' to images of the artifacts in their collections and original historic photographs. If they are not monitored, they can be used by anyone in whatever context that person wants to use them, and without credit to the museum. Museums want to have their artifacts (and images of them) portrayed and displayed in a positive light. We don't want fuzzy camera shots on the internet or some 'Group' using them for propaganda or advertising.

Serious students and researchers are welcome to make appointments and examine original artifacts. My institution limits photography to our professional photographer, so that we know good quality images are made. The researcher pays for these, and gets them for research purposes only. He/She cannot publish them, without our permission, and paying a small fee. On occassion, we have let people take their own images, but they have to sign a waiver.

Sounds dictatorial? Not really, museums have to protect the objects that are entrusted to them, we also have to protect how those images are used. We also are all in danger of closing our doors, through a lack of funding, and this generates a VERRY small source of revenue.

I don't know what the National Museum's policies are, but I understand where they are coming from. Work through the channels, and you will get the photographs you need.
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

"...The O'Brennans, a sept of thieves without any right or title, ... were a perpetual disturbance to the peace of the county,"
finnobreanan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Scott Cross

Postby finnobreanan on Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:45 am

Oh, in case someone thought to say that museum's are elitist, here is a website I developed back in 2005, in an effort to make our collection public. http://www.oshkoshmuseum.org/Virtual/
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

"...The O'Brennans, a sept of thieves without any right or title, ... were a perpetual disturbance to the peace of the county,"
finnobreanan
Active Newbie

Postby finnobreanan on Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:04 am

Here's another good example of how museum's try to make their collections available; the Hunt Museum in Limerick, sorry, I didn't catalog these objects (the descriptions suck), but at least you can access them.
http://test.huntmuseum.com/

Sorry, I'm a bit sensitive to this issue as a museum proffessional, but as a historian an researcher, I know how frustrating it can be. Work with the system.
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

finnobreanan
Active Newbie

Postby oleg on Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:07 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks for sharing the information. Now I know that it's possible (or, at least, was possible).
I've started with simple e-mail to Rights and Reproductions department. Will keep you posted.
oleg
Active Newbie

Postby oleg on Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:39 pm

I contacted using e-mail from Paul's post and it worked for me. So the procedure is the same as explained.
Personnel is fast and very helpful. I haven't been to the Museum yet, the scheduled date of visit is in May. Waiting for the visa decision:)
oleg
Active Newbie

Next

Return to General Chat