Crios

Viking, Saxon, and Early Christian Irish cultures

Moderator: the_power

Crios

Postby Jason H on Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:46 am

Hey Folks,

I haven't reenacted in about 2-3 years now. My former unit is the 3rd West Cork Brigade Column which I founded sometime back in early 2000. http://westcorkflyingcolumn.com/ Bob is doing a bang up job leading the band these days and I'm interested in doing something new. That being said I'm looking of doing something less modern, and am putting together an impression for around the battle of Clontarf. Thus far, I've only been able to find one place on-line that sells a Crios, and I was wondering if any of you fine, wonderful, knowledgeable people might know where else I can look?

Thanks so much,
Harris
Jason H
Full Name: Jason Harris

Re: Crios

Postby knightofredemption on Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:42 pm

They are simple to make, they must be as some years ago I made one....on saying that I completely forget how it was done. All I remember is it involved a piece of cardboard with holes in it :lol: But fear not someone will soon drop by this thread and fill in the details. :D
Everything in moderation, including Moderation.
knightofredemption
Site Admin
Full Name: Paul Wickham

Postby Jason H on Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:56 am

Goody gum drops. I wouldn't mind having a go at making one, I'm just clueless when it comes to weaving. I've been looking all over the internet, and only see them in modern chemical dyes. So a source for pre-made is great, but a how-to on making them would work as well. Thanks.
Jason H

Postby brendan on Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:23 pm

Ah, so you are looking for a vegetable dyed one then?
What is your basis for using a crios(sp?) for Clontarf?

Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby Cathal on Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:51 am

Ehm... do we talk of a belt like this?

http://www.irishclothing.ie/shop/products/belt_crios.html

If so, tell me how long and in which colors you want your crios ans i'd be glad to weave it for you. I guess you are familiar with German, so feel free to visit our homepage http://www.midgard-sippe.de and have a look at "Schauhandwerk & Angebote" and go there to "Kammweben". That's the method to make braids like the above.
We use the wool of one of our member's sheep, spin it by ourselfes and dye it with veggie colors. Nearly any color and pattern is possible.

Hope this helps
Stefan
...try always to be on the right end of the sword...
Cathal
Active Newbie
Full Name: Stefan Seiler

Postby Jason H on Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:20 pm

Yes my original intention was to use one for an Irish impression around 1000-1014. Would I just be wearing a Leather style belt instead?
I already have a Leine and Brat, but someone I talked to suggested that they would have looked more or less identical to the Vikings. So I might be back to square one. Help me.
Jason H

Postby the_power on Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:31 pm

Identical is a strong word. But yes, for my 11thC Irish kit, I wear an 'insular' style leather belt, but that's because I play a nemed, with access to a mail hauberk & shiny helmet. If you are going for a poorer or an earlier impression, go for a cloth belt. I'd a magnificent one made for my by Aislinn on these forums. If you are going to get one, make sure it's at least 10cm wide.

John
the_power
Active Newbie
Full Name: John Looney

Postby Cathal on Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:46 pm

the_power wrote: If you are going to get one, make sure it's at least 10cm wide.

Is there any evidence for 10 cm braid belts? We made the best experiences with 35 to 40 millimeter cloth belts, either with a knot to hold or with a double bone ring buckle. One of the best surviving woven belts is the Skjoldehamn Funnet in Norway. Belt between 1,6 and 3,8 cm broad, see page 117 and following in above link.

Stefan
...try always to be on the right end of the sword...
Cathal
Active Newbie
Full Name: Stefan Seiler

Return to Early-Medieval