Newbridge Heritage Society

Introduce yourself here; who you are, where you are based, and any groups you are in.

Moderator: the_power

Newbridge Heritage Society

Postby shane_newbridge on Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:49 pm

Hello!

My name is Shane.

First started living history/re-enactment back in 2005/2006 (cant remember). Mostly attending shows in england, though I've been to quite a few in Ireland and would know a good few of the folks on here.

I'd been out of the scene for a while until I started working at Newbridge House in Donabate (http://www.newbridgehouseandfarm.com - Sorry mod's if that's advertising. Couldn't find a forum charter stating otherwise. If it makes a difference it's a non-profit company), where we also have what I believe is a Norman castle(though somewhat in ruins) http://www.flickr.com/photos/1soanes/4381970821/ and I suddently found my spark for the scene re-kindled. So I set up a Heritage/Living History society based out of Newbridge Demesne with some local volunteers who were interested. Currently in the process of co-organising a heritage festival out here for September 11th/12th (will post in events section).

Membership to Newbridge Heritage Society is also currently open. If you'd be interested, please contact me by PM, or email: shane@newbridgehouseandfarm.com

I did have an account on here many a while ago but I've long forgotten the username and password.

Looking forward to working with you all in future :)

Kind regards,

Shane.
shane_newbridge
Full Name: Shane M.

Re: Newbridge Heritage Society

Postby brendan on Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:46 pm

Welcome aboard, and best of look getting things going!
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby Swifty on Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:33 am

shane_newbridge wrote: we also have what I believe is a Norman castle(though somewhat in ruins) http://www.flickr.com/photos/1soanes/4381970821/

Hi Shane

Without going any further in terms of research - to my eye what you have there is a towerhouse of almost certain 15thC date, typical of the '£10' style of that period. Post-Medieval alterations/extensions of these buildings was also common.

All the best with your project.
D Swift www.claiomh.ie c.795-1660
Swifty
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Swift

Postby Dave Mooney on Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:10 am

Welcome to the forum and best of luck with your society. It's good to see new groups emerging.

It's good to have a focal point but as Mr.Swift has kind of pointed out best if you know everything you can about it and not skew the facts to suit the mode of the group. Still use it a a venue by all means, just don't retro fit it.

I worked in Craggaunowen which has a 16th Center Tower house and we had an American in held his own tour. Of the 20 or so facts he gave them 1 was right. Norman this Norman the other, boiling oil, all the favourites. It made me shudder. I gave him a copy of the tour guides script.

Dave.
Dave Mooney.
Mogh Roith- Historical Living History Group. http://moghroith.org
Dave Mooney
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Mooney

Postby Nerva on Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:33 pm

Salvete Omnes!

Great to see a new group on the scene. When it comes to knowledge of the structures of the period I'd say Swifty is definitly your man.

Valete,

Nerva.
Vale

Marcvs Vlpius Nerva

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Pilus Prior Cohors VIII Legionis XX Valeria Victrix

http://www.romanarmy.ie

info@romanarmy.ie

nerva@romanarmy.ie
Nerva
Active Newbie
Full Name: Martin McAree

Location: Corcagia, Hibernia Pronvincia - Cork, Ireland, to you Barbarians!

Postby shane_newbridge on Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:46 pm

Indeed you're right swifty it's a square tower house, and it also had numerous post-medieval extensions. A lot of it, including all the extentions, was knocked down in the 40/50's I believe. No idea why. Now it's all a mix of original stonework and contemporary redbrick that someone used to fill in the holes (presumingly whoever owned it before the local authority did). Anyway I was just mentioning it for the sake of it, I have no documentation on it, and anything I do know is word of mouth from local historians. So I just made an ill-educated guess. I have no intentions to use it for anything, but thanks for the info :)

Also thanks for the warm welcome folks :)
shane_newbridge
Full Name: Shane M.

Return to Introductions