Beltring Pictures.

Let us know about interesting events here

Moderator: the_power

Beltring Pictures.

Postby museumtom on Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:31 am

Back early fom Beltring. Was there early and have gone through all the stalls, did not go through all the displays though. More words, videos and photos later when I have returned some semplance of life to this old body.
Here are some to keep ye going.
Enjoy.
Tom.
ZZZZ

http://s888.photobucket.com/albums/ac88 ... 1_0745.jpg
museumtom
Active Newbie
Full Name: Tom Burnell

Re: Beltring Pictures.

Postby museumtom on Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:21 pm

Uploading videos now. Starting with;
http://s888.photobucket.com/albums/ac88 ... ter=videos
More as they upload.
They may be rubbish but the are free, enjoy.
Tom.
museumtom
Active Newbie

Postby museumtom on Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:07 pm

museumtom
Active Newbie

Postby museumtom on Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:51 pm

Myself and ‘Hawkeye’ Shanahan were booked on the evening Irish Ferries Rosslare sailing. Tried to get a bit of kip on the ship, it did not work, and drove off in Pembroke at 1,30am. Switched on the ould Satnav, ‘ould’ being the operative word. Do you know when a new road is built and you don’t update your satnav does not know anything about it? So off we headed on our merry way to 480 Kilometers away Beltring. With the moral support of Garry O’Brien and Paul Rea in a white van were were left on our own and they fecked off in to the wild blue yonder. Which was grand as the riveting conversations could slaughter the most battle hardened. We decided we would take a break at each of the service stations along the way and refresh ourselves with coffee and a bit of grub. For some reason the service stations along that route do not open at all during the night so we had nada. We came to a McDonalds with the lights on and pulled in for a bit of grub. The lights were on but no-one was at home so off we headed again. A service station with the lights on appeared in front of us and we leftied indicatered and pulled in. Like a scene from the twilight zone it was, lights on in the shop but nothing moving. I could look in to the shop like the door was open until I realised that the door was not open it was the space leaf where the cash machine used to be. Seemingly it had just been removed and we were first on the scene. Away we went again. It suddenly dawned on us and switched off the lights and noticed we were nearing London. We could tell this by the amount of people we were knocking down was increasing (joke). Coffeeless and dying for a hit an miss and eventually found a good Somerville station and refreshed ourselves. The coffee was good, the sarnies were cheap and I took a few bob from the cash dispenser with my credit card. It was the first time I ever did that and it impressed the heck outta me. Away with us to Beltring anyway until we came to the M25 where we followed the Satnav and the Satnav followed the roads as they were 3 years ago. Making a long story short we got to Hop Farm at 10, 30, yes 10, 30 I said, Garry!! No we did not stop for a kip on the way, I was just joking about that, ho freakin’ ho.
We booked in, and set up our tents, made the beds and Hawkeye got some shuteye. I was so full of coffee it gave me wings and I was away looking at the stalls.
For some reason Lee Enfield No 4 rifles have taken a leap in price starting at the £266 mark and the SMLE’s from 350. The rest of the weapons and items for sale you can get the prices yourselves by zooming in on the pictures of some of the merchandise. Another strange thing was that there were at least 3 Chassepot rifles and bayonets at different stalls. Very unusual. There was the same amount of dealers there as last year which surprised me as a few of them said they were not going to be there this year. Maybe they just wanted me to stay away?. The food vans were the same selection as usual and the best bit of grub was the Thai green curry. It look terrible but tastes delish. Water, food, ice-cream and drinks were overpriced. There was a small reduction of the Irish attendees but added to this were the British lads who supported Dungarvan who made a point of seeking out the lads and making themselves known.

The crowds were down in number perhaps it may take up today and tomorrow. The W&P staff were friendly and helpful. The Germans were cautiously friendly and if you were friendly back (which we always are) you might get a reduction in the price. The English were very friendly and a happy lot. If you wanted to chat they were most ameniable. The Belgian and French selling inert dug-ups were not interested in a haggle and the price you saw was the price you paid, even with my witty Irish charm they would not budge. Maybe I am losing it?

Now then among the items (‘among’ them being the operative word) was a lovely ww1 sword belt, Armourers kit and roll, a relic fuze, green t shirts at 5 for a tenner. Itw as only when I got home and opened them I realised they did not come with the poles, they were HUGE!!. All my nieces will have green nighty’s this Christmas. A ww2 Periscope and a more modern one in a steel container. Some shoulder titles, a Brodie helmet shell, a walking stick for the wife to beat me with, a shemah, a reconditioned tilly, 6 1905 five pouch leather bandoliers for Flying Column re-enactment, a trilby for same, a great pair of brown leather army bots for £3, you may see some of them for sale at the Dublin fairs for £30 soon. The Dublin members of the IMCC were there in force, Sean Curtis and all the Club were there although I did not get to find where they were, the place is so vast you could literally lose a battalion, wasthere not a film about that somewheres.
Now then, I did find a stall that sold dug ups, among them were the remains of boots (?) and webbing clips, and clips of drilled 303 ammo, and helmets, and bayonets (see the pictures), fuses, stokes mortars, dug bayonets of all types, rifle butt plates rested among shrapnel and others metal bits.

Among the zillions of trucks, jeeps, tanks, armoured cars, artillery, motorbikes were 4 aircraft. Two spitfires, a hurrican and a crashed German something. The thing is they were all models and looked magnificent. For £35 smackers you could sit in the cockpit and start the Spitfire, it looked great. Fair play to the lads who conceived it.
All in all a most enjoyable 3 day holiday in a place that makes my year.

We left at 3am on the Thursday morning and slept in my own beautiful bed from 10,30 that evening.
Time to start saving for next year.
Regards.
Tom.
museumtom
Active Newbie

Postby museumtom on Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:32 pm

museumtom
Active Newbie