South Dublin Living History Society

Introduce yourself here; who you are, where you are based, and any groups you are in.

Moderator: the_power

South Dublin Living History Society

Postby South Dublin on Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:04 pm

South Dublin Living History Society held its first AGM on Thursday
This is a new Society that we think can improve the experience of reenactment for its members and other people involved in the hobby. While most of the members are currently living or working in South Dublin we are not geographical isolationists and welcome members from all over the city and further afield; as long as you are able to participate in our activities, which mostly happen in Dublin, you are welcome.

The group currently has 8 full members, 4 of whom have never been fully part of a reenactment group before and we have a good mix of skills and experience from 6 months to 20+ years, all of whom are equal members. Sure experience, knowledge and skills are important but not in terms of how we interact with each other.
Membership is not exclusive which means that if we want to do stuff with other people or groups we can.
We have a list of officers which is available by PM if you are interested.

This year we aim to get all members to a basic level of kit suited to Clontarf era reenactment. This will be a challenge but we are up to it. In future years we will build on this foundation and expand to include other time periods of interest. We are not set up to handle Black Powder and later time periods and think that there are plenty of other options better suited to reenacting these eras.

We run weekly combat training in Ballymun on Sunday afternoons, where we teach a variety of European weapons and fighting styles. The common weapons include Spear, sword axe, starting with spear; the styles range from Choreographed film/display to sparring/free style.
Anyone who is adequately insured and willing to respect the safety needs of the other participants can attend. We are also interested in trainers who are willing to visit us and show-case their styles at our training sessions.

At the moment we have no plan to run 'gigs' as such, but we are looking at a mixture of living history and combat related activities that we hope will contribute to our enjoyment of the hobby and maybe be of interest to people from other groups from Dublin and beyond. At the moment we are focusing on improving the basic kit of our members with a focus year of 1014. We aspire to run one a month, but it might take us a while to get there.

We hope to work with every pre-1650 group in the country. We have no interest in boycotting events or giving people the cold shoulder. We love all re-enactors and embrace their quirks & foibles, just as we expect that they will accept ours.

At the moment we are completing a web site which we intend to update regularly. In the interim you can contact all of the group via southdublin@livinghistory.ie or PM the secretary via this account (which will be used for event/group announcements).

Brendan (As Secretary)
South Dublin
Full Name: Brendan Griffin-Secretary

Re: South Dublin Living History Society

Postby Swifty on Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:46 pm

Congrats on this latest inititive Brendan

As a fellow South Dublin outfit, Claíomh look forward to co-operating with any other group who is true to the archaeological and historical record - and since you are involved Brendan I am absolutely certain that the standards will be high. I wish you and your colleagues all the best and look forward to seeing your display in the future.

Beir bua

Von S
D Swift www.claiomh.ie c.795-1660
Swifty
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Swift

Postby brendan on Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:12 pm

Swifty, not sure why but hadn't realised you were south Dublin based :roll: ... Definitely re: working with
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby claimhteoir on Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:32 pm

Well, I'm from South Dublin and so far it has been the fact that I find it difficult to travel that has stopped me... so if that won't be an issue in future I'd be delighted to take part in early med to early modern stuff. Fair play Brendan.
claimhteoir
Active Newbie
Full Name: None Set

Postby South Dublin on Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:21 am

The website is up and running. We are trying to keep updates in the news section and hope to add content on a regular basis.
http://southdublin.livinghistory.ie/

If you have any suggestions as to things we should add let me know and we will have a think about it.
South Dublin
Full Name: Brendan Griffin-Secretary

Postby Dave Mooney on Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:23 pm

I've not been on here for ages so I didn't know you guys were at this stage.

Congratulations and best of luck, hope to see you grow and develop into a sturdy platform for well rounded historical & archaeological investigation and display in the near future.

I'm only getting whispers but what is the groups era consensus? EH/Vike? Earlier? Later?

Dave.
Dave Mooney.
Mogh Roith- Historical Living History Group. http://moghroith.org
Dave Mooney
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Mooney

Postby brendan on Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:39 pm

Something around the Vike era with an emphasis towards 1014 (because why not) as a start. People are interested in a bunch of different stuff so we will probably expand into a different era (or 2) over the winter - all to be decided of course - but will continue to build on the core stuff
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby the_power on Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:23 pm

We took a poll initially, and found people's favourites were Iron age, early bronze age, viking, early christian irish, late norman, hastings-era, battle of clontarf, War of the Roses. And one wanted a pretty early 14thC dress.

So..um...yeah. But we'll try one period a year, so people have a chance to get kit up to scratch. As Brendan said, "Clontarf-era Irish" for 2011. Likely Iron Age for the 2012 season, but we'll see.

John
the_power
Active Newbie
Full Name: John Looney

Postby DLHS on Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:40 pm

For anyone tracking this group/thread the group has recently renamed to Dublin Living History Society...this was necessary because more than half our membership are from North of the River

Brendan
Dublin Living History Society
Web http://dublin.livinghistory.ie/
Or find us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/DublinLivingHistorySociety
DLHS
Full Name: Dublin Living History Soc

Return to Introductions