The Battle of the Yellow Ford - 1598

Moderator: the_power

The Battle of the Yellow Ford - 1598

Postby GavinC on Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:24 am

Good morning folks.

My name is Gavin Cullen, and I'm a Producer for Another Avenue Ltd. We are currently working on a project for the Western Regional Tourism Partnership in Northern Ireland entitled "Uncover Our Stories with Just One Click". The project involves us shooting 33 short (approximately three minutes) films which will be used to promote the western region of Northern Ireland - Fermanagh, Tyrone, Derry and The Sperrins.

The films will be released at some time in August, and will be avalable to use for any and all organisations involved in the promotion of tourism around Northern Ireland. This would include Living History societies and clubs and this particular film could be used on a website as a video piece.

One of the films we are shooting for the Tyrone section covers a brief history of the O'Neills and the Battle of the Yellow Ford. To add some veritas to the film, we'd love to feature some Living History, hence my posting here. We are looking for one or two local re-enactors or experts who would be willing to appear on film in full historic garb and chat briefly about their kit and equipment. Ideally we would love to have an Irish Warrior and an English Soldier of the time (late 16th Century).

If there are any site members who are experts on the kit of the time and in particular have accurate representations of the gear, we'd love to talk to you.

Unfortunately owing to timings and scheduling, we will be shooting the piece mid-week at Tullaghoge Fort near Cookstown around 13:30 on Thursday the 17th of June, so this would probably be more suitable for local people or those who live not too far away. And yes, I do realise that it's at short notice too . . . welcome to my world! :lol:

As with most things related to promotional projects, budgets are tight and those managing the budgets are even tighter! However, we will certainly cover any mileage costs associated with you being involved with this project at the standard UK rate of 40p per mile. Whilst filming will only take one hour at the most, we would hope to meet up with the volunteers beforehand in Cookstown and buy them lunch. Yep, not the most glamorous or substantial of offers, but I want to be straight up from the start.

If you're interested in volunteering or can help out in anyway, please don't hesitate to contact me at gavin [at] anotheravenue [dot] com or Alana at nistories [at] anotheravenue [dot] com. Alternatively you can PM me here on this site.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post and I look forward to hopefully hearing from a few of you over the next few days.

Regards,

Gavin
GavinC
Full Name: Gavin Cullen

Re: The Battle of the Yellow Ford - 1598

Postby barry on Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:09 pm

Hi Gavin
I will take it since the budget is tight that the people operating the camera,sound,makeup,editing,and of course your self and anyone else involved in this project is working for 40p a mile and a free lunch if this is so i will try and help in some way but i do not think it is, so Gavin why have you come on the forum looking for someone to offer up there time and not only the time on the day but the time they have spent studying and researching this period as well as the thousands of pounds they might have put into there gear, and a day off work they will have to take and not pay them accordingly for their days work.
I look forward to your reply.

Barry
None
barry
Active Newbie

Postby GavinC on Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:31 am

Hi Barry.

Thanks for your post.

Can I please draw you to the following:

The films will be released at some time in August, and will be available to use for any and all organisations involved in the promotion of tourism around Northern Ireland. This would include Living History societies and clubs and this particular film could be used on a website as a video piece.

These films are not for commercial purposes. They are being used to promote Northern Ireland, in particular the western counties, to the world. Anyone involved in the tourism industry, the promotion of Derry, Tyrone, The Sperrins and Fermanagh abroad, including Living History events organised in conjunction with the relevant local authorities in these regions (of which there are quite few), the filming of these pieces, whether on-screen or providing a service or location related to the filming, will be free to use these films - on a website, in promotional material, etc.

The films may be used by any and all to promote related events. I am aware that there are fairly regular Living History events held at Tullaghoge Fort in which the re-enactors are paid for their time by the relevant local authority. Films such as these can be used by both the local authority and the re-enactors themselves to promote these or similar events, hopefully drawing larger crowds and attendances and therefore generating more events and more paid re-enactments.

Effectively, we are asking people interested in promoting their hobby or business to do so. To provide us with their knowledge and expertise for a short time(approximately one hour and travel times) in return for expenses and a short piece he or she (or they) will be able to use to promote themselves, their location, their business, their event or their hobby.

We are somewhat flexible on dates and times, but as we will be filming other locations and stories in Cookstown on the 17th, shooting at Tullaghoge Fort on that day is good management of limited time and resources. But if the right person is available on another day, we would be willing to alter scheduling to suit their availability and we will discuss this with the people who have already contacted us.

Barry, Another Avenue Ltd, is a business, and the nature of businesses is to charge for services. I know some of the site members here do so too, and that's great. Likewise, I'm sure other site members are quite happy to take an opportunity to promote themselves and their hobby or business for reasonable expenses. We are hoping that some of the latter group might be interested in getting involved. I'm sure some other time and on other projects, we would be hope to work with members of the former group.

Whilst I do not have the authority to provide full budget breakdowns this project, especially on public forums, I can say that there are just three people involved in shooting these 33 films - myself, an intern and one other professional. Having make-up artists, separate camerapersons, soundpersons, editors, caterers, transport managers, etc, etc, are luxuries we just cannot afford. Our Presenters (of which there are three, one for each region) have indeed volunteered to front these films for 40p per mile and relevant meals.

As the WRTP is a UK government-sponsored organisation, I believe the full breakdown of costs should be available to the public when the project finishes and I presume you would be welcome to review the costs for your own edification.

I hope this clarifies your queries Barry and thanks again for posting.

To those members who have already e-mailed us, I'd like to thank you for your time and assure you that we will be in touch with you for a chat before the weekend.

Regards,

Gavin
GavinC

Postby brendan on Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:55 pm

Gavin,
thanks for your response to Barry's question - as he has pointed out there is a level of legitimate concern about people deriving commercial benefit from the efforts of hobbyists.
From your response it is clear that some are happy enough to proceed based on your terms - which is fair enough.

How do you handle IPR (Intellectual Property Rights) in this sort of situation?

Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby GavinC on Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:53 pm

Hi Brendan.

Thanks for your post.

A standard release form is signed by all contributors on projects like this giving image rights, etc, to the Western Regional Tourism Partnership who retain all rights to these films. If a contributor was to provide us with archive photographs or film to use in the project, we would only be able to use that material if the person owns the rights to the material or has the authority to grant permission to use the material. And obviously he or she must be willing to grant permission to the WRTP to use it.

As mentioned previously, all of these films will be free to use by anyone wishing to use them for promotional purposes. Thus a contributor appearing in one of these films could use the final film on a personal or club website or DVD, etc, to promote their business, location, hobby or what have you.

Regards,

Gavin
GavinC

Postby GavinC on Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:11 am

Good morning folks.

I'd just like to say a big thank you to all of those members who contacted us regarding this piece.

We shot some great, informative footage for this project at Tullaghoge Fort on Wednesday afternoon (23rd June) and the input from the livinghistory.ie members advising us was wonderful. Thanks again to all involved and in particular to Dave who was superb on the day.

I hope I'll have the opportunity to work with livinghistory.ie members in the future.

Regards,

Gavin
GavinC

Postby Swifty on Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:46 pm

I just have to say that this was one of the easiest media teams I have worked with in recent times: a very professional 'gang' of two - conditions were excellent, weatherwise perfect - and what better site than the inauguration site of the O'Neills at Tullyhogue. Plus no time-wasting at all - hard to believe!!

Hopefully Gavin you will get exactly what you are looking for from the footage taken and I wish you all the best for the remainder of your filming of this project and for the post-production phase.

I would also like to say thanks to those from the fraternity on this forum who recommended me for the role - you know who you are and I do not ; )

DS
D Swift www.claiomh.ie c.795-1660
Swifty
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Swift

Return to General Chat