18th Century maps of ireland for sale

Merchants can advertise here, private individuals are welcome to hawk their wares. Seek advice on new investments!

Moderator: the_power

18th Century maps of ireland for sale

Postby dextrousfatguy on Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:10 pm

I have two resonably large maps of Ireland. I am presently in the process of having them valued (by process, i mean waiting for replies to my emails so i can bring them to the guy who knows about this stuff).

Photos will follow asap.

The first map, which is quite large and in two sections, is printed on paper and has a long, descriptive title text:

"A Map of the Kingdom of Ireland, Divided into Provinces Counties and Baronies, Showing the Archbishopricks, Bishopricks, Cities, Boroughs, Market Towns, Villages, Barracks, Mountains, Lakes, Begs, Rivers, Bridges, Ferries, Pafses; also the Great, the Branch & the By Post Roads together with the inland Navigation by J: Rocque cartographer to his majesty."
The footer says it was Published in May by 1794 Laurie & Whittle of Fleet street.

The second is somewhat smaller, is printed on paper and backed by linen (i think) in such a way as to be easily folded (there are small, deliberate gaps along the crease lines).
It has the title text:
"A New Map of Ireland having the Great Features of the Country defcribed in a manner highly highly exprefsive. and the distances between the towns and hages (marked in Miles and Furlongs) for the use of travellers by Alexander Taylor Lieutenant in his majesties Royal Engineers"
At the bottom it says "to his excellency, John Earl of Westmorland, Lord Lieutenant General and General Governor of Ireland.
This map is by permission most humbly inscribed by his excellency's most devoted, most obedient and most humble serv. Alex Taylor"

Most interestingly, it has been anotated by a previous owner showing military barracks and the numbers of "privates" stationed in each one.
I don't know the precise date of this map or the notes written on it but i'll find out as soon as i can.

These maps are of unknown value at this stage but hopefully i'll know soon.
If anyone's interested, contact me and I'll get back to you asap with prices etc.
If anyone can recommend (or is) a dealer or expert who may be able to evaluate their worth, please let me know.

more info and pics to follow

p.s. these maps are being sold to pay for the previous owner's funeral, so feel free to be generous with estimates ;-)
dextrousfatguy
Full Name: Hugh Kerrigan

Re: 18th Century maps of ireland for sale

Postby museumtom on Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:06 am

Anyone who has an interest in these maps, and there are quite a few, have them on disc. They are extremely interesting and its amazing how difficult it is to find a place using them, the placenames then were so different than they are today. Perhaps another auction site would be more fruitful for you as it would get more punters looking at it.
Regards.
Tom.
museumtom
Active Newbie
Full Name: Tom Burnell

Re: 18th Century maps of ireland for sale

Postby dextrousfatguy on Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:20 pm

Thanks tom.
I posted the thread here on the off-chance. Believe me, i'm not relying on LH.ie for a sale!
It's just a question of "you never know, someone may be interested".
dextrousfatguy
Full Name: Hugh Kerrigan

Return to Buy and Sell