From damp damp Oregon

Introduce yourself here; who you are, where you are based, and any groups you are in.

Moderator: the_power

From damp damp Oregon

Postby Conn Cullach on Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:54 pm

Hello,

Just want to stop being a lurker. I'm Chris, from Portland, Oregon, and I'm a WMA student of German and Bolognese styles. Since reenactment goes in hand with WMA often, I am doing Irish (one of the few in this state, apparently), bouncing primarily between 10th-11th c. and 16th c. representations.

Since my interest is heavily into military and combat, I'm a member in the various groups who actively fight in the area (SCA, Adria, etc.) and try to use my WMA training to recreate what I think might be a good approximation of how traditional Irish weapons were used (avoiding, whenever possible, the inclusion of style elements that develop under the various rule systems). That's about it. I'm sure I'd like to meet folk who may be on this board & in my area to swap ideas, patterns, or swordblows. But I'm really interested in reading more on the boards, getting inspiration (let me know where you have more pictures!) and asking questions/getting comments about my kit as I develop it.
yrs,

Chris Cottrell, MFA
Academia Duellatoria student
aka Conn Cullach
Conn Cullach
Full Name: Chris Cottrell

Re: From damp damp Oregon

Postby Nerva on Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:46 pm

Salve Conn!

Welcome to livinghistory. I'm part of a Romano-celtic combat group. We sometimes do Hiberno-Norse and Anglo-Norman but we don't use WMA. I'm sure there are others here who will help you out. What period do you re-enact?

Vale,

Nerva.
Vale

Marcvs Vlpius Nerva

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Pilus Prior Cohors VIII Legionis XX Valeria Victrix

http://www.romanarmy.ie

info@romanarmy.ie

nerva@romanarmy.ie
Nerva
Active Newbie
Full Name: Martin McAree

Location: Corcagia, Hibernia Pronvincia - Cork, Ireland, to you Barbarians!

Postby Conn Cullach on Thu May 06, 2010 3:13 am

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, I've been up to my eyeballs finishing up grad school.

I do tenth and sixteenth century, with more and more interest in the latter. The WMA study fits with the sixteenth century more, so I've been getting more kit assembled to work with that. The WMA work (and my background in Filipino martial arts) has me more and more interested in working with weapons specific to the Irish fighter. Any info (fight manuals, etc.) that could help that endeavor would be appreciated.

No pics yet of my kit. Which reminds me: where does one go for inspiration. Anyone want to give me links to folk sporting their awesome kits? I've found a few online, but not enough.
yrs,

Chris Cottrell, MFA
aka Conn Cullach
Conn Cullach

Postby the_power on Thu May 06, 2010 9:36 pm

I've got some pics at http://picasaweb.google.com/john.looney ... alPhotos02 - you might also have a look at http://tutorials.livinghistory.ie for some tutorials for single & double handed spear fighting. I should really finish off the 'single handed spear' one, once my arm heals..

John
the_power
Active Newbie
Full Name: John Looney

Postby Nerva on Thu May 06, 2010 11:52 pm

Salve Con!

Conn Cullach wrote:I do tenth and sixteenth century, with more and more interest in the latter

Forget that stuff Con, come over to the Bright side, we have cookies and wine... :D

Nerva.
Vale

Marcvs Vlpius Nerva

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Pilus Prior Cohors VIII Legionis XX Valeria Victrix

http://www.romanarmy.ie

info@romanarmy.ie

nerva@romanarmy.ie
Nerva
Active Newbie
Full Name: Martin McAree

Location: Corcagia, Hibernia Pronvincia - Cork, Ireland, to you Barbarians!

Postby Conn Cullach on Thu May 06, 2010 11:53 pm

Very cool.
yrs,

Chris Cottrell, MFA
aka Conn Cullach
Conn Cullach

Postby Conn Cullach on Tue May 11, 2010 6:04 pm

Nerva wrote:Forget that stuff Con, come over to the Bright side, we have cookies and wine... :D

Don't forget the salat and poached eggs!

You do get to wear some pretty cool kit & it's easy to admire a uniform bunch on the march.

But...I'd have to give up my longsword. Chicks dig the longsword.
yrs,

Chris Cottrell, MFA
aka Conn Cullach
Conn Cullach

Postby Conn Cullach on Tue May 11, 2010 6:19 pm

hey John,

I've been looking at the single spear stuff (one of the elements I'm interested in bouting with/training in) and your assessment about deflections is spot-on. However, I was wondering if you'd experimented with keeping the shield close to the spear in a fashion similar to how it's used with sword in I.33 or Morozzo's treatise. If I get a chance, I'll try to post something about what I mean (with photos) in another thread, but I'm basically thinking of a primarily underhand grip on about a two-meter spear with guards that rotate around a shield held out toward the opponent. Using sword this way, it's hard for anyone to get inside for a clean hit, and I'm curious about how it might go with spear.
yrs,

Chris Cottrell, MFA
aka Conn Cullach
Conn Cullach

Postby Dave Mooney on Wed May 12, 2010 5:48 pm

I keep small shield close to the short spear. I augment blows and blocks with it (by using the angle between the boss and plate) and accelerate side taps also. I deflect the spears direction mid shot by tapping it with the shield and random tapping can confuse opponent some.
Also, with a small shield you can cross it under your spear arm to protect arm or ribs, or over to protect head/face as with i33.
You can punch with it and attack with the rim. You can also block with the rim sending the opponents weapon well clear. Use general martial arts forearm blocks with shield in hand for desired effect.
Using the shield at arms length and keeping the spear couched back can trick opponent as to true length of spear. If they assume it's very short they can sometimes step right into its range.

Me likes small shield and spear.

Dave.
Dave Mooney.
Mogh Roith- Historical Living History Group. http://moghroith.org
Dave Mooney
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Mooney

Postby Conn Cullach on Thu May 13, 2010 7:14 am

That's about what I expected, glad to hear I'm not going down a wrong road.

Thanks!
yrs,

Chris Cottrell, MFA
aka Conn Cullach
Conn Cullach

Return to Introductions