Inter period skirmishes..a year without them?

Moderator: the_power

Inter period skirmishes..a year without them?

Postby mountcashel on Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:47 pm

Noticed photo of roman and non roman period lad sparring on the paper lately , PR photo and all that for upcoming event which sounds like commendable venture, but the time separation between the two characters seemed a bit too much. sorry bout this but after the vikings v redcoat and romans v IRA goings on last year I fear a re run. Many groups do a great job as their chosen period but things like these bring it into blazing saddles territory!
Mountcashel
mountcashel

Re: Inter period skirmishes..a year without them?

Postby brendan on Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:48 pm

Is this a jibe at the people involved or are you making a more general point?

How people should deal with this sort of thing, and what exactly is wrong with that sort of PR shot?? I recall pics of Vikings drinking tea that got in all of the papers - at least as much of an anachronism, but one that worked very well for the event

Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby mountcashel on Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:46 pm

Jibe? Not my intention, please be assured.
Not a jibe at the PR photo, the Salute (redcoats v vikings)incident or the Kinsale (ira v romans or even multi period queue for that tent)incident. Just an observation and voicing an individual view, thats all. Its just that i see some peole doing sterling work putting money, time , travel and stuff into getting it right, incidents like above seem to "dumb it down" a bit. After all, if re enactors want to be taken seriously or should I say credibly, and not come across purely as "dressing up" fans....I have watched crowd reaction at the shows ive attended and while "dumbing down" appeals to a certain portion of the audience who just want entertainment , theatrics and blood, youll also find the people who come for to see a re enactment because of what it purports to be shaking their heads in bemused disbelief and turning away in disappointment.
Obviously I am in a minority here with this concern, so ill leave it at that.
mountcashel
mountcashel

Postby brendan on Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:23 pm

The question is a valid one nevertheless... (now that we know it is not personal etc etc)

For myself, I prefer to do events where a single time period is represented, because there is inevitably interaction between people from different eras - whether it be WW1 and WW2 or Viking and Roman, and that is the stuff that photographers want.

I suppose I differentiate between corporate type events where the publicity is part of the deal, and more historical type ones where the focus can be on authenticity
brendan
Active Newbie

Postby Billy on Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:07 pm

I'm kind of with MC on this one. Publicity friendly or not, I honestly think it undermines the hobby, or at least the valid attempts at authenticity, and ensures that this will always be viewed as mostly a form of entertainment, and not as an educational venture.

I'm not naming names, or making a specific point, just a general one.
Billy MagFhloinn
Billy
Active Newbie

Postby knightofredemption on Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:24 pm

It is an interesting point. Some gigs are definitely more about entertainment, while others are more about authenticity, but whatever they try to be, photographers love to take pics of something a little odd, be it a Viking with tea, or a knight holding a machine gun, they will even set these shots up. As indeed will members of the public. To refuse would be churlish, and anyway we are constantly snapped with members of the public, just as much of an anachronism. No matter how authentic you try to be, and how seriously you take it. It is when all is said and done, playing dress up. We arrive in our cars, dress up for the day/weekend, and then return to our real lives as 21st century folk. At least that is how most people would see it, whether we like it or not.
Everything in moderation, including Moderation.
knightofredemption
Site Admin
Full Name: Paul Wickham

Postby Billy on Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:42 pm

I dunno, I guess you're right. Maybe I'm taking it too seriously.
Billy MagFhloinn
Billy
Active Newbie

Postby knightofredemption on Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:34 pm

Maybe so Billy, and I can't see that changing any time soon. The hobby needs all kinds, you educate 'em, me and mine will entertain 'em, and now and again we'll meet in the middle. An example, we were recently at an event in Malta, and there as entertainment. I had a childs mother friend me on facebook so she could tell me what an effect we had on her kid. He is now doing a school project on the Knights of St John. There are many roads to education.
Everything in moderation, including Moderation.
knightofredemption
Site Admin
Full Name: Paul Wickham

Postby bannerman on Sat May 01, 2010 1:32 am

Maybe I'm taking it too seriously.
Hey billy thats my line! (borderline...)
http://www.warofindependence.net/

"Is doigh linn gur mor iad na daoine mora mar atamuid fein ar ar nglunaibh. - Eirimis!!!"
Jim Larkin 1913
bannerman
Active Newbie
Full Name: Padraig O Ruairc

Postby brendan on Sun May 02, 2010 8:35 am

The key thing to me is that whatever we do is done well, as well as we are able to at the time.
I am quoting from elsewhere where someone pointed to the need for 'purist rather than puerile' and the need to avoid cheezy monty python type representations.
If there is funding to do the gig and/or (especially or) the public have paid in then they expect entertainment. This means that it is not enough for us to sit around amusing ourselves doing stuff. It most certainly means that we have an obligation to interact with them. And that is the single biggest opportunity to make contact with and involve new people.

Brendan
PS> just realised that there is a parallel version of this going on in gogle buzz...weird
brendan
Active Newbie

Next

Return to General Chat