Longsword durability issues... Recommendations?

Moderator: the_power

Longsword durability issues... Recommendations?

Postby dextrousfatguy on Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:28 pm

I've been training in the German (and Italian) Longsword styles for a couple of years and have been having trouble finding a decent sword. I'm looking for recommendations for a reasonably priced sword which would suit both practice and correographed displays.

Waster-wise, it's all good. No problems. Our EHCG chapter uses nylon wasters which are fine.
Steel-wise is a different matter.
-We tried Hanwei Practical Hand and a half swords which handled ok and the blades were sturdy but they kept coming apart at the hilt (typically, the pommel would start coming off or the whole hilt assembly would be loosened by leverage any time the crossguard was put under strain - such as from a murder stroke or some bind techniques. They were replaced a couple of times but the problem persisted and no amount of peening would help) :?

-We tried Del-Tin Hand and a half swords but the edges are just too soft and prone to damage - we ended up with saw edged SLOs which brought tears to the eye - especially when one considers the cost of Del-Tin blades. (I personally find them a bit blade heavy for some of the master strikes) I expected better from a sword maker of such repute. :shock:

-We tried Tinker Pearce blunt longsword trainers but after about a dozen displays mine looks like a bread knife (oddly though, my fight partner's identical sword is faring ok). The tinkers handle beautifully but the durability is still an issue. Have I just been unlucky and got a duff one? :cry:

Has anyone else encountered similar problems? Does anyone have any suggestions? Has anyone found particular manufacturers to be good or bad?

Any advice would be welcomed
Thanks.
Hugh.
dextrousfatguy
Full Name: Hugh Kerrigan

Re: Longsword durability issues... Recommendations?

Postby nathan on Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:19 pm

well as far as good swords go all i know is that arms and armour are meant to be good i heard heron armouries are good to but albion are meant to be the king so i think it depends on price range. i dont know first hand though just held some of these and heard other peoples advice hope that helps im sure there are others here who know more than i do though.
for here starts war carrion birds sing, and grey wolves howl
nathan
Active Newbie
Full Name: nathan featherstone

Postby brendan on Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:22 pm

I have an Arms and Armour 1 hander which is really nice (Scholar type on their page) the only thing is that apart from being expensive they are imports from the US - I took about €100 customs hit...nice sword though
My Albion Meyer type practice sword has proved indestructable (so far), and having bought it in 2007 (I think) and used it regularly since then it has no marks...that said, I have seen a liechtenauer type practice sword that was chainsawed, but I think that may be due to the way that it was used
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby Declan Kenny on Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:56 am

You could try out http://www.paul-binns-swords.co.uk/
I have one and it's doing well. It's unreasonable too, to expect any piece of steel to remain free of nicks and notches if you are using it in combat. Get a cheap one for knocking about and grind and sand it each season, and then save up for a tasty one that only leaves its scabbard to impress the onlookers...
Declan Kenny

Postby dextrousfatguy on Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:35 pm

Declan, absolutely, you're right about no blade being indestructable. And in some ways, i'm just having a winge.
I'm more than happy to file out nicks, burrs and notches after each gig. I'm less impressed with having to replace a £100 blade (specifically designed for repeated practice) after only a couple of shows (which are no more extreme than a good training session).
My hanwei hand and a half had a very sturdy blade, the damage it took (from the same amount of abuse) was negligible - it's the cheap construction of the hilt fittings which were the issue. The handling wasn't top notch, either.
Guess i'm looking for the best of both worlds.
So far, a Meyer longsword trainer is looking like a good bet. Now... where to find €450...
I'll check out the binns swords. I know a few people who have them (though they're all single handers, does he do longswords, do you know?) and they have a reputation for durability.
dextrousfatguy
Full Name: Hugh Kerrigan

Postby Declan Kenny on Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:45 pm

Send Paul an email - he'll let you know. I reckon he can make up just about anything. But of course, money is an issue!
Also, in relation to the hilt, try and get something in there to prevent corrosion of the tang. One trick is melted beeswax down into the joints, though I guess WD40 would be fine as well. Best of luck!
Declan Kenny

Return to General Chat