sword maintenance recommenations

Moderator: the_power

sword maintenance recommenations

Postby Stephen Curtin on Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:27 pm

Well lads, hope I'm posting this in the right place.
Anyway, as you can see from the attached pic,
I'm the pround owner of a spang new sword from
Rob Miller of www.castlekeep.co.uk
I was wondering If some of you lot with more
experience could recommend which products
(and where to buy them) I should use for
cleaning and maintening this beauty.
Attachments
robmillersword1.jpg
robmillersword1.jpg (28.06 KiB) Viewed 2175 times
Stephen Curtin
Active Newbie
Full Name: Stephen Curtin

Re: sword maintenance recommenations

Postby Nerva on Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:03 pm

Salve Stephen!

There are people here with vast experience so I'm sure you'll get everything you need. I'm no expert and I'd love to know some of the answers to this question myself, but based on my experience here's my two cents:

1) Don’t touch the blade or allow anybody else to either (unless you’re stabbing them with it, that’s ok :D ). Fingerprints are acidic and will stain and rust the blade. Keep a slightly oiled cloth handy for wiping the blade down with.

2) Depending on the grade of steel you can use various materials for polishing the blade. 3M make a product called Sctochbright which comes in pads of various grades. If you keep the blade clean you should never need anything more than the green pad (Finest grade I think). Keeping the blade lightly oiled when not in use is something I do. I use WD40 but I've heard some people say that this is not good as the propellant contains water. You could also use Lithium grease which comes as a spray.

3) When not in use do not store your sword in its scabbard. This might sound stupid and maybe it is but scabbards can pick up dampness which may cause corrosion. Keeping it out of the scabbard negates exposure to this plus you can see if the blade is deteriorating. I guess regardless of where or how you store your blade there's no substitute for regular inspection.

4) Don't forget to have a medium metal file handy to take down burrs. When filing go slowly. Filing generates frictional heating which will soften the blade edge. On EN45 a temperature of 60 Deg.C is sufficient to cause carbon creep. Do this often enough and you get reduction of the isotope (ok, I know you'd have to this for ages but it sounds really technical :lol: )

Hope this is of some help,

Vale,

Nerva
Vale

Marcvs Vlpius Nerva

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Pilus Prior Cohors VIII Legionis XX Valeria Victrix

http://www.romanarmy.ie

info@romanarmy.ie

nerva@romanarmy.ie
Nerva
Active Newbie
Full Name: Martin McAree

Location: Corcagia, Hibernia Pronvincia - Cork, Ireland, to you Barbarians!

Postby Stephen Curtin on Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:30 pm

Thanks for the advice Nerva, though I already know not to touch the blade and not to keep it in its scabbard for long periods.
I was mainly looking for advice on what oil to use, because I know that there is specificly made oils made for sword, which
you can buy online, but It would be better to get something from my local hardware shop, instead of waiting for delivery.
I've heard both good and bad things about WD40 but I suppose its no harm for me to try it out for myself.
Stephen Curtin
Active Newbie

Postby Nerva on Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:53 pm

Salve Stephen,

There are a number of oils which you can buy online. One or two are based on animal/vegetable fats but most are penetrateve low viscosity synthetic oils. That's essentially what WD40 is. You can buy passavating oils. These are expensive and only work with high chromium/carbon steels, so don't waste your money.

Whatever the water content (and I've just been on to the website http://www.wd40.com/faqs/#a98 which clearly states they use CO2 as a propellant), the main drawback about using light petroleum based oils is the relatively high evaporation rate. As long as you keep a regular eye on your blade WD40 is as good as anything.

Vale,

Nerva.
Vale

Marcvs Vlpius Nerva

info@romanarmy.ie

nerva@romanarmy.ie
Nerva
Active Newbie

Postby Stephen Curtin on Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:14 pm

Hi Nerva and thank for the quick reply I'd like to ask you 1 more question if you dont mind. I was just cleaning the blade and applying the WD40 when I noticed some tiny bits of rust along the blade. Have you any advice as to how to deal with this. Thanks in advance.
Stephen Curtin
Active Newbie

Postby gobae on Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:25 pm

From personal experience, the biggest downside of WD40 is that it evaporates rather quickly. But as long as you keep up on applications I've had good success with it.
gobae
Full Name: Dan Crowther

Postby Nerva on Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:45 pm

Salve Stephen,

Firstly get yourself down to your local supermarket and go to the houshold cleaning section. You're looking for these:

Now they're not always called scotch brite or made by 3M, so look around. Basically they're an abrasave pad about 100mm x 150mm x 4mm. Next spray the blade with a coat of WD40 (you'd swear i had shares in the stuff :D ). Leave it for 5 minutes or so and then gently rub with the abrasive pad. Now if the rust is very light, a rough cloth may be all that is needed, if not you will have to use the pad.

No harm to get yourself a tube of autosol from your local auto shop. This is a great product and will easily remove light corrosion but give the blade a coat of oil after you've polished it.

Vale,

Nerva.
Vale

Marcvs Vlpius Nerva

info@romanarmy.ie

nerva@romanarmy.ie
Nerva
Active Newbie

Postby Stephen Curtin on Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:29 pm

Thanks for all the tips Nerva. I'm on me way down to the shops now to get that stuff.
It's really fairly light rust so I'm might try the rough cloth first. Thanks again.
Stephen Curtin
Active Newbie

Postby brendan on Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:18 pm

Ballistol is a really good de-greaser and recommended by manufacturers such as Albion
Autosol is abbrasive so use with care
(limited time hence terse!)
Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby Nerva on Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:29 pm

Salvete Omnes!

Ballistol is actually a gun oil. I've used it and It's very good stuff but a little expensive. Ballistol provides a good level of protection but has no anti-oxident properties like WD40 (god I love that stuff...I'll just take another sniff :lol: ). Seriously though, check out the web site, there's even a re-enactment page!!!! out here:

http://www.ballistoluk.co.uk/

Brendan, I bet my WD40 shares are worth more than you're Ballistol shares, Ballistol is financed by Anglo-Irish Bank :lol: :lol: :lol:

Valete,

Nerva.

N.B. Remember tomorrow is the 2773rd aniversary of the founding of Rome, Felix Dies Natalis, Roma :!:
Vale

Marcvs Vlpius Nerva

info@romanarmy.ie

nerva@romanarmy.ie
Nerva
Active Newbie

Return to General Chat