Hello I Sew

Introduce yourself here; who you are, where you are based, and any groups you are in.

Moderator: the_power

Hello I Sew

Postby threaddottir on Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:36 pm

Hi, I'm a total newbie, trying to get my head around the whole living history thing. My area is clothes, I reseach, sew and cut my own patterns and have studied Archaeology at UCC in the past. Is there anybody in the Waterford area who can recommend contacts and events I could visit just to get the ball rolling.........I'll take in yer tunic for free !!!
Only the Biased can be stretched the most.
threaddottir
Full Name: Clare Horgan

Re: Hello I Sew

Postby Nerva on Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:24 pm

Salve threaddottir,

You should contact Mel Shiels "empresmel" or "Aislinn". We do 1st/2nd century Roman and are always in need of a good tunic-taker-inner :D

Vale,

Nerva.
Vale

Marcvs Vlpius Nerva

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Pilus Prior Cohors VIII Legionis XX Valeria Victrix

http://www.romanarmy.ie

info@romanarmy.ie

nerva@romanarmy.ie
Nerva
Active Newbie
Full Name: Martin McAree

Location: Corcagia, Hibernia Pronvincia - Cork, Ireland, to you Barbarians!

Postby brendan on Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:55 pm

Don't mind Nerva, its a long time since he needed a tunic taken in ;)

Is there any particular time period that interests you in terms of clothing or is it a case of all clothes are good clothes?

In terms of stitching http://www.42nd-dimension.com/NFPS/nfps_stitches.html is a good historic source...there is another link (which I can't find right now but used to be on here somewhere) to a document identfying the stitching styles appropriate to each historic time period (And more importantly the ones that are not appropriate)...if that is what you are interested in

Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby pajo on Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:51 pm

I'm just up the road form you myself, in knocktopher (waterford side of kilkenny), might call on your services for some help/adive with making/fitting, if that would be o.k..
A hard on does NOT count as personal growth...

Effudistine potum melis meum...? Amice, nunc te interficiam.
pajo
Active Newbie

Postby threaddottir on Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:04 pm

Hi Pajo, no problem, if I can help I will, fancy a coffee & chat in Waterford sometime ?
I'm mostly interested in pre-Norman clothes, but I'll try anything once, so if somebody has an idea and needs help sourcing a pattern or fabric, I'll give it a go. If there's a really huge lot of hand sewing involved, I'd probably have to charge a few bob for my time.
Thanks Brendan for the web site...it's a good un ! Funny how things don't change....I grew up with all those stitches and methods...."I'm not Old....I'm just Oldschool"...yeah right, goodluck !
threaddottir

Postby pajo on Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:32 am

yea that'd be cool, I'll drag the missus along too :) She can sew a wee bit, I cant do much anymore cause of arthritis... but we both want to learn/figure out a few bits... I did just buy a sewing machine 2, which I must figure out.. lol (another reenactor said to me a few years ago "the machine was built around the stitch, so why not use it?") Wise words.... XD

Drop me an email - pajo54@hotmail.com - and we'll sort some day to meet up :)
A hard on does NOT count as personal growth...

Effudistine potum melis meum...? Amice, nunc te interficiam.
pajo
Active Newbie

Postby brendan on Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:45 am

(another reenactor said to me a few years ago "the machine was built around the stitch, so why not use it?")

:o :shock: :roll:
Are you serious? Do you know anything about how either hand or machine stitching works?
The only reason to say claptrap like that is to excuse the use of machines as something as authentic as stitching by hand.

Good machine stitching is probably better than bad hand stitching, but when hand stitching is actually done right there is very little similarity between the two...As this is a thread by someone new to the forum I will stop my rant now

Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby the_power on Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:38 pm

Pajo, I think who ever told you that was either pulling your leg, or excusing laziness.

The chain-stitch machine invented around the 1830s did mimic the crappy stitch you see on modern coal-sacks. It's an easy stitch to mimic, but it has the problem that it's really easy to unravel. Pretty useless, really. The 1850's "Singer shuttle" machine didn't mimic any human stitch, for obvious reasons - it uses one thread that just goes up and down in a straight line, and a second thread that loops around the first. It's a stitch that would be very hard to do for a human - more like crochet - and it's really not that good unless the tension is both high and constant - making it useless for loose materials or wools. The modern rotary hook machines (developed in the 1860s!) have a stitch that's very similar, so not really worth discussing.

Check any book on medieval clothing design; there are literally dozens of different stitches, each has it's own place. They all give differing decorative styles, depending on how they are used. Check out this photo of a tunic made on a 14thC Greenland find - there are four photos in that sequence. There are different stitches for the neck, underarm, hems, shoulder/body joins and the backs of the gores. You could try replicate this with modern stitches or a machine, but it would look completely different. I've a great industrial machine that'll stitch 2.4mm leather together. But I wouldn't use it for making reenactment clothes, unless they weren't meant to be seen closer than 15 metres away...

John
the_power
Active Newbie
Full Name: John Looney

Postby threaddottir on Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:18 pm

Hi John, thanks for the photos, they are great, I see you are brewing too, how did it come out?
I have to say though, that Herr. Singer is pretty much revered as a saint in my book, if I had a picture I would touch it every day for luck - his machines have saved 3 generations of my family from, curvature of the spine, blindness and fingertip callouses like a Navvy. Handsewing is not much fun when you have to do it everyday as a job, though it is a great hobby !
I am away to do research Brendan........meet you all soon. C
threaddottir

Postby Nerva on Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:49 pm

Actually John, we use sewing machines because we know the Romans had them, check this link for proof:

http://craftinvogue.sg/roman-sewing-machine-model-su322.html

Nerva.
Vale

Marcvs Vlpius Nerva

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Pilus Prior Cohors VIII Legionis XX Valeria Victrix

http://www.romanarmy.ie

info@romanarmy.ie

nerva@romanarmy.ie
Nerva
Active Newbie
Full Name: Martin McAree

Location: Corcagia, Hibernia Pronvincia - Cork, Ireland, to you Barbarians!

Next

Return to Introductions