Lughnasa Games - Live weapons target tournament Aug 6,7,8

Let us know about interesting events here

Moderator: the_power

Lughnasa Games - Live weapons target tournament Aug 6,7,8

Postby consmiles on Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:35 pm

Hi all
Rath Niamh is happy to host our third annual live weapons tournament. It is open to all reenactors from even before the Romans up to the late 1500's. We have a purpose built rath (based on Cloonfree 1270 - 1306) and 4 medieval tents and all the equipment needed to make a camp site feel real (plus toilets and showers) in our 16 acre farm. We provide the kit for the competition as well - long bows and arrows, sharp javelins and axes and the targets to shoot at and hopefully hit. This means everyone has the same 'props' so to speak. Practice is on the Saturday from noon and the competition is on the Sunday - you must attend practice to be in the competition itself. Dave Meercat Hodson will be the archery instructor and our first aid officer. You are welcome to arrive anytime on Friday. There will be opportunities to use your own bows etc on Saturday evening but not in the competition. This event was won by Piortk in 08 and by my son Tom in 09 and I intend to win this year, ha. This event may be open to the public (free) for one hour on the Sunday as local community outreach when we will all do our best Living History presentations....

Fee is E50 and covers entry to competition, live weapons instruction and safety guidelines, all food cooked by us on an open camp fire / cauldrons (vegetarian and meat options), 5 gallons of honey mead, all sharp weapons (ie breakages are covered), targets and camping. You may bring your own tent and plenty of camping and parking space and fire wood is available. The prize for the winner is E50. Bring your own beer, wine, mead but people with bad hangovers will not be allowed to compete on the Sunday.

We are located 7km west of Castlerea, in north Co Roscommon. People can be collected from the train station in Castlerea on Friday and returned on Sunday.
Niamh and I host this event for fun and we hope that this year we may have more friends join us.
Attachments
lug09.jpg
lug09.jpg (197.36 KiB) Viewed 2293 times
lug08.jpg
lug08.jpg (129.95 KiB) Viewed 2296 times
Regards
Con
consmiles
Active Newbie
Full Name: Con

Re: Lughnasa Games - Live weapons target tournament Aug 6,7,8

Postby Nerva on Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:50 pm

Salve Con,

This year there's no clash of events, so god willing we'll be along this August if you'll have us.

Vale,

Nerva.
Vale

Marcvs Vlpius Nerva

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Pilus Prior Cohors VIII Legionis XX Valeria Victrix

http://www.romanarmy.ie

info@romanarmy.ie

nerva@romanarmy.ie
Nerva
Active Newbie
Full Name: Martin McAree

Location: Corcagia, Hibernia Pronvincia - Cork, Ireland, to you Barbarians!

Postby consmiles on Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:23 pm

Hi Nerva,
you and Legion Ireland are most welcome. You may bring your heavy weapons and I'll set up a long distance target range for you. Please give me an idea of your numbers for this weekend closer to the date so we can feed you all properly.
Regards
Con
consmiles
Active Newbie

Postby consmiles on Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:01 pm

Hi all,
just to announce that we are adding extra items to the E50 first prize for our Lughnasa Games. This is a Gladius (blunt 1/16 edge) with scabbard plus a wooden Gladius as shown in the picture below. They may not be high quality replicas but they may suit as a starter kit for an aspiring Roman. These 'props' have just been given / donated to me and I am now adding them as part of the first prize for the winner of our live weapons tournament Aug 6, 7and 8. I have declared my intention to win this year - so these items and the E50 prize money will go to whoever is second in the tournament...assuming I win...
Attachments
PIC_0298 copy.jpg
PIC_0298 copy.jpg (136.03 KiB) Viewed 2157 times
Regards
Con
consmiles
Active Newbie

Postby Nerva on Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:46 pm

Well done Con...lets hope you can dodge a catapulta bolt :D
Vale

Marcvs Vlpius Nerva

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Pilus Prior Cohors VIII Legionis XX Valeria Victrix

http://www.romanarmy.ie

info@romanarmy.ie

nerva@romanarmy.ie
Nerva
Active Newbie
Full Name: Martin McAree

Location: Corcagia, Hibernia Pronvincia - Cork, Ireland, to you Barbarians!

Postby consmiles on Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:24 am

Hi,
the Mayor of Roscommon - Councilor Luke 'Ming' Flanagan is to officially open the Lughnasa Games on Sunday 8th of August this year. This happens between 1 and 2pm weather permitting. Places still available.
Regards
Con
Regards
Con
consmiles
Active Newbie

Postby consmiles on Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:22 pm

Hi
the winner of our third Lughnasa Games which included archery, spear and axe and dagger - was Mr Dave 'Mercat' Hodson.
Well done Dave - photo's and video on Roscommon Sword Facebook soon.
Con
Regards
Con
consmiles
Active Newbie

Postby numbskull on Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:27 pm

Congratulations to Mr Dave 'Mercat. I will going to like you on facebook.

danish games
numbskull
Full Name: Kenneth C Butz

Return to Events