American Civil War reenactment 07

Moderator: the_power

American Civil War reenactment 07

Postby Irish-American on Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:09 am

I found a clip of a Civil War reenactment filmed at the Wade House, a 19th century farmhouse in the middle of rural Wisconsin (the house was only link between Milwaukee, WI and Chicago, IL) The landscape is a godsend for a Civil War battle reenactment: hills, flat fields, stonewalls and even a sunken road. As winters chill sinks into my bones I often go looking for videos of reenactments to reassure myself the ground will one day thaw and good times and some Craic is on the way. Thought I would post it here where a few folks may aperacte it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQx-g0ZxZcg At minute 2:00 you can see our humble 3inch ordnance rifle belching her furry. :twisted:
Would like to point out one mistake that ruined the video (other then the badddd camera work and cackling women :roll:) It seems the Confederate Captain in 52 seconds got a case of I'm John Wayne and is firing two, pistols wildly in the air. Not accurate at all and is just a case of a boy with a toy.
And the Confederate infantry seems very sluggish in the retreat as guys bore down on them with bayonets. Either stand firm or skedaddle! But as an artilleryman I can rightfully say infantry are slow, these guys choose to wake up at 7:00 on a weekend and march with 40ibs of gear until 7PM.
Well anyway, hope you enjoy. If get some feedback I may post my article on reenacting etiquette I wrote for our newsletter awhile back.
Take care!
Irish-American
Active Newbie
Full Name: I'd rather not say

Re: American Civil War reenactment 07

Postby bannerman on Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:34 am

Would like to point out one mistake that ruined the video (other then the badddd camera work and cackling women ) It seems the Confederate Captain in 52 seconds got a case of I'm John Wayne and is firing two, pistols wildly in the air. Not accurate at all and is just a case of a boy with a toy.

Is he not firing in the air because of the close proximity of others / for safety reasons?

The video looks good - the Union charge is well done, and I particularly like the fact that as they advance the soldiers are dropping like flies - which seems like the way it would have been. The Leinster Regiment here will tell you that when they do British Redcoat in the 1790's or 1800's volley after volley from their brown Bess muskets often fail to kill any French troops or United Irishmen - their are two explanations for this 1 There aren't enough men of the field so if the first volley had a realistic effect the battle would be over in thirty seconds! 2 The republicans are bad losers or some how bullet proof!

Padraig
http://www.warofindependence.net/

"Is doigh linn gur mor iad na daoine mora mar atamuid fein ar ar nglunaibh. - Eirimis!!!"
Jim Larkin 1913
bannerman
Active Newbie
Full Name: Padraig O Ruairc

Postby Irish-American on Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:36 am

Ah yes we call them "Bulletproof Billies" here because the union units never seem to take hits, these guys were a bit more humble. Yes it was for safety's sake, were trained fire at a 45 degree angle which gives you about 10 inches above a man's head. My major grip is not that, its the fact he had two pistols. You were only issued one side arm in the Confederate army as a officer and you probably wouldn't carry another if you found one, because that's a extra nine pounds you don't need. I just seemed very cow-boyish and those small datils get on my nerves. But overall it is a good video and good event.
Irish-American
Active Newbie

Postby Fuhrmann on Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:16 pm

Yeah just before he surrenders he does go abit wild shooting up in the air like that :-P
Fuhrmann
Full Name: Ciarán Burke

Postby Irish-American on Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:06 am

I'm guessing he was just unloading his pistol but just looks bad if your firing for no reason.
Irish-American
Active Newbie

Return to General Chat