Brandenburg Commandos

Introduce yourself here; who you are, where you are based, and any groups you are in.

Moderator: the_power

Brandenburg Commandos

Postby templarcommander on Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:12 am

Hi there everybody,

just a quick note to let everyone know of our new website for the Brandenburg Commandos:
http://www.brandenburgcommandos.webs.com

Looking forward to a fun year and meeting old friends as well as making new ones. If anyone is interested in joining us or learning more about the Brandenburg Commandos we'd be only too delighted to hear from you.

Once again here's to a GREAT hobby.
Kindest Regards,
Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini Tuo da gloriam..
Cornelius
templarcommander
Active Newbie

Re: Brandenburg Commandos

Postby US Rangers on Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:38 am

Hello there Templarcommander,

What a clever thing to do. I have a couple of good books on the Brandenburg's. They were purposely dressed with all kinds of kit and wore long hair and sported beards. Reenacting them gives you huge scope, very clever indeed plus it make a change from S.S.

Very best of luck an hopefully we'll meet up during the season.

Good bye, John.
US Rangers
Full Name: John H. Miller

Postby bannerman on Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:07 am

Looks really good - well done. As "US Rangers" said it was a really clever idea to portray a unit where a mixture of kit and beards/ longer hair was allowed to soldiers. This immediately makes accuracy less difficult. Am looking forward to seeing ye in action - just one question though, on the website it says:

The Brandenburg Commando’s were involved in the following countries during WW2 and even before it:
France, Austria, Italy, UK, USSR, Norway, Finland, Sweden, Egypt, Jordan, Iraq, Afganistan, Syria, Romania, Hungary, Holland, India, Japan, USA, Ukraine, Ireland

Ireland? now I know there were agents stationed here and spies parachuted in, but can you enlighten me about the Brandenburg commando's role/activities here?

Thanks Padraig
http://www.warofindependence.net/

"Is doigh linn gur mor iad na daoine mora mar atamuid fein ar ar nglunaibh. - Eirimis!!!"
Jim Larkin 1913
bannerman
Active Newbie
Full Name: Padraig O Ruairc

Postby Flash on Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:49 pm

Hello Bannerman

Just posted some info on Brandenburg activity in Ireland on the website might go some way to answering your questions :)
Flash
Full Name: D.Flynn

Postby bannerman on Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:00 pm

Thanks for that Flash - I just had a read of it

"IN July 1940 a requisitioed French Yacht named the 'Solzic' captained by Christian Nissen a well respected yachtsman who had an intimate knowledge of the Irish coast,who also spent time as P.O.W in Tipperary and Meath during WW1, landed 3 operatives in the Baltimore area of Cork.The gents were 2 ethnic Germans born in German south west Africa (modern day Namiibia),and Henri Obed a man of indian heritage needless to say they stuck out like a sore thumb in west Cork.They were arrested wthin a few hours of landing."

I used to work at the Heritage Centre on Cape Clear Island, Baltimore, Cork and I got a great kick out of telling that story. I first came across it in T. O Reilly's book "Hitlers Irishmen" (an excellent read for anyone who doesn't have it) and then again in T.Ryle Dwyers "Behind the Green Curtain - Ireland's Phoney Neutrality During WW2"

Thanks again for the info.
Padraig
http://www.warofindependence.net/

"Is doigh linn gur mor iad na daoine mora mar atamuid fein ar ar nglunaibh. - Eirimis!!!"
Jim Larkin 1913
bannerman
Active Newbie
Full Name: Padraig O Ruairc

Postby lightbringer on Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:45 pm

Horrido!

However some commentators have mentioned the long hair/beard issue! This indeed was the exception not the rule. I understand the nature of the Brandenburgers as special forces, although as typical of the third reich, there was duplication in this role within the fallschirmjager and the SS . Indeed with the decline of Canaris influence and suspicion, the Brandenburgers were used more as elite infantry and fought as such to the very end.

Brandenburger is an interesting impression and all the best with it.

Glueck Ab

www.heavenandhell.co.uk
You're losing,you're losing,you're losing your vitamin C, vitamin C

www.heavenandhell.org.uk
lightbringer
Active Newbie
Full Name: Michael Rother

Return to Introductions