KDF Swordfighting Europe

Introduce yourself here; who you are, where you are based, and any groups you are in.

Moderator: the_power

KDF Swordfighting Europe

Postby Maximus on Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:45 pm

Hello fellow members,

First of all thank you for the account activation.
My name is Henk Rooderkerk iam with The Swordfighting-kdf.com organisation chapter the Netherlands.
Glad to know now there's a way to learn more about these great arts of fighting.
I hope we could share some thoughts throughout this forum about these fine arts.

Thank you and all the best wishes..

Kindest Regards,

Henk Rooderkerk
http://www.kdfnederland.nl
http://www.swordfighting-kdf.com
Maximus
Full Name: Henk Rooderkerk

Re: KDF Swordfighting Europe

Postby nathan on Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:11 pm

welcome to the forum glad to see you here im guessing your a wma group? what are your areas of interest?
and again welcome i love the wma world so the more we can learn and swap from each other the better :D
for here starts war carrion birds sing, and grey wolves howl
nathan
Active Newbie
Full Name: nathan featherstone

Postby Maximus on Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:14 pm

Thank you nathan,

Well we are a school for medieval combat indeed, we teach children from 9years and adult groups.
I really would like to know more about the great Irish art of single hand spear fighting or stick-fighting.
Like if there are any manuscripts or text books regarding this topic?

Thanks again.

Greets,

Henk
Maximus

Postby knightofredemption on Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:35 am

Greetings Henk, here is a link to a tutorial on single handed spear put together by John Loony you may find interesting http://tutorials.livinghistory.ie/Home/ ... mbat-guide
Everything in moderation, including Moderation.
knightofredemption
Site Admin
Full Name: Paul Wickham

Postby Maximus on Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:46 pm

Thank you very much,

Wow it is awesome actually. :D I'll add this to our new projects for study.
Kinda hard I guess to control the spear with one hand? I can see why two handed must be practised before you can use just one hand.
Are there classes or seminars with these arms?

Thank you so much for the information so far.
We are really interested in these arts, eventually we could have spoken some different languages at the moment if we didn't had them. if you know what I mean.

Kindest Regards,

Henk
Maximus

Postby nathan on Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:07 pm

wow someone interested in Irish stick!!!
well i must say ANY info on it im your man the below link is a good start for you there does not seem to be any real interest here in this style but i would be glad to talk to you about it. im learning from the only two sources and old styles left one im learning long distance from a Canadian guy. his style is the oldest i know of and is sadly not being taught here anymore but one day i would like to. apart from me there are 2 others i know of in the island practicing the Irish bata forms one is my training partner and the other is a guy in Waterford who owns Waterford martial arts studio he does a more modern yet somewhat more effective style.
which is the most widespread style and the only complete system surviving.
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=465&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=20
i don't know so much on short spear the bits i have dabbled in parallel the stick style im learning though. im heavily involved in wma and hema groups as they were the most receptive and interested and helped put me in contact with others as well as helping me become an associate member of the institute of martial arts and science. i don't know if your on this map its only the European one there is an American one to may be good to join you can read the blurb that was written by the founder of the hema alliance about me which im rather proud of. also i must stress this is NOT for reenactors its for hema and wma groups only.
check it out and join up if it suits you.
http://www.communitywalk.com/european_c ... map/478393
im currently looking into pugilism and would like to learn more irish styles such as the spear and axe in a wma context but reenactment is the best place in Ireland to learn these in. these are not mere sticks though some were filled with lead and can and did kill with ease they can hold up against swords and there are a few accounts of English knights having their plate smashed apart by them so they are weapons.
anyways there is alot of bull out there with this stuff so be wary if you have any interest would like to learn or even just get a proper fighting stick get on to me and il sort something out anyways hope i helped.
nathan
Active Newbie

Postby brendan on Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:42 pm

@Nathan: I was at a half day seminar on Bartitsu at the weekend. If you are looking at different styles of Pugilism/Scientific boxing etc those guys might be a good place to start. They also do walking stick based stuff which might be applicable. The style goes back to Late Victorian.

@Maximus: Single handed spear is kind of weird. You can lock it under the arm which is reasonably solid and OK if you have a shield and possibly better for cutting type shots - though I am not sure how useful they are with that type of spearhead (a conversation for another thread maybe), but for flexibility you need to go over arm, that is great for thrusts but easily deflected meaning you need a very fluid style of fighting to deal with the fact that the spear WILL be deflected. A lot of the finds have associated Butt spikes so both ends of the weapon can be used, though one is obviously more effective.

Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby nathan on Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:58 pm

i have looked into bartitsu as well as la canne jogo du pao and others besides bayonet etc but i want to keep the Irish stuff pure while im learning but i may move into other areas when i know more.
nathan
Active Newbie

Postby Celtic Britain on Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:19 am

Welcome ;)
Celtic Britain
Full Name: Celtic Britain

Return to Introductions