Help finding sources on the Easter Rising?

From the Crimean War to the Wars in the Gulf. The death of global empires and the rise of a global economy.

Moderator: the_power

Help finding sources on the Easter Rising?

Postby Irish-American on Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:01 am

Hello again ladies and Gentlemen:
I again must ask for information on the events of Easter 1916. I know I asked about this a year or so back but now I am presenting it again but this time at the university level.
I was wondering you could offer any good books on the Easter Rising that may also document the recollections of those in the IV and CA or British service? My library here at university has a scant six dusty books the Rising, the most recent of which was published in 1969. Are there any more current books or memoirs?
Thanks for the help,
Adam
Irish-American
Active Newbie
Full Name: I'd rather not say

Re: Help finding sources on the Easter Rising?

Postby brendan on Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:07 am

Have a look at various posts by Bannerman and a few others elsewhere on this site.
I know that Bannerman and others have set up a site focus on the war of independence.

There are loads and loads of books, just make sure you dont buy one of the ones by the crazy guys (see elsewhere on the forum for a review of one such)

Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby thepremier on Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:47 pm

Adam, the bibliography on the National Library of Ireland guide to 1916 is a decent place to start:
http://www.nli.ie/1916/biblio.html

I found Ruth Taillon's book on the women of 1916 and Barton's 'From Behind a Closed Door' particularly useful.

Gabriel Doherty and Dermot Keogh's '1916 -The Long Revolution' and Eoin Neeson's 'Birth of a Republic' are worth reading (he also has a book called 'Myths from Easter 1916', which is available through a small publisher called Athol Books). There's a recent book entitled 'The Impact Of The 1916 Rising: Among The Nations' (ed Ruan O'Donnell).
thepremier
Active Newbie
Full Name: niig

Postby Irish-American on Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:59 am

Wow! There's some really wonderful stuff! Thank you, that is indeed a good start.
Anything on Home Rule would also be helpful! I am in your debt :)
Irish-American
Active Newbie
Full Name: I'd rather not say

Postby thepremier on Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:10 pm

No problem. I'm afraid I'm blanking on any Home Rule titles right now (really bad brain fog at the moment) but there's a short list at the bottom of this page that may give you a start: http://multitext.ucc.ie/d/Home_Rule
thepremier
Active Newbie
Full Name: niig

Return to 20th Century