Auxie Uniforms.

From the Crimean War to the Wars in the Gulf. The death of global empires and the rise of a global economy.

Moderator: the_power

Auxie Uniforms.

Postby Dez on Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:55 am

Hello members,
If you are interested in Auxie uniforms check out this site, just as I have typed it with mixed characters and small d for div --- Royal Irish Constabulary Auxiliary div 1921-One Sixth Warrior Forum. A fellow in N.I. called The Ulsterman (what else?) has posted pics of a figure that he and a companion have created of an Auxie circa 1921, from "F" Company (disregard the caption) stationed in Dublin Castle. The uniform and equipment are made from scratch, only the arms and boots being bought in. If the re-enactors could achieve this sort of accuracy in full size, it would probably cost a Euro or two. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Dez
Dez
Full Name: Desmond Braden

Re: Auxie Uniforms.

Postby bannerman on Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:52 pm

Sorry Desmond, could you put a link to the website up here - I cant seem to find one in your last post.

F. Company of the Auxies were particularly interesting - Major Reynolds F Company was quite happy to sell intelligence information to Michael Collin's squad in Dublin and the IRA in Clare, See T.Ryle Dwyers book "The Squad" or my book "Blood On The Banner" for more details.

Im curious to know what colored cloth flash Ulsterman and his friend put behind the RIC cap badge - how/where did they get the information on which colours were used by which company.

"If the re-enactors could achieve this sort of accuracy in full size, it would probably cost a Euro or two." Actually its not that expensive or difficult to get a very good replica Auxie or Tan kit together. Mock here and Ray Murphy, myself and others have been at it for a while.

I just got an original R.I.C. whistle today - that ill be using for re-enactment. :D

If you are interested in the Auxies check out my website at www.warofindependence.net
And if you want to read about their activities in Galway follow this link:

http://www.warofindependence.net/?page_id=260

Padraig Og O Ruairc
http://www.warofindependence.net/

"Is doigh linn gur mor iad na daoine mora mar atamuid fein ar ar nglunaibh. - Eirimis!!!"
Jim Larkin 1913
bannerman
Active Newbie
Full Name: Padraig O Ruairc

Postby mock on Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:09 pm

hi dez,
thanks for posting that up, i enjoyed it, the guy even had T. C ( temporary cadet) shoulder titles.
the cap badges diamond cloth for F company would have been red, as you rightly said they were stationed in dublin castle.
the unit colour yellow as in the model would have been for E company also stationed in the dublin area.
as padraig has stated there are several of us doing ADRIC now . the kit is no more expensive than any other period.
the titles and the badges are the most important thing to get right. after that you could use paterren 08 clothing mixed with.
really dark bottle green tunic or trousers, you can dye a modern cap to the correct colour quite easily.
it is an interesting period to portray (saying it mildly) anyone thats interested in trying it out give me or bannerman a PM,
we would be happy to advise.
regards mock.
lord edwards own
86th leinster regiment
prince of wales leinster regiment
mock
Full Name: mock vaughan

Postby Dez on Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:01 am

Hello bannerman,
I came across this site quite by accident, and the only way I can access it, is to Google ___ Royal Irish Constabulary Auxiliary div 1921-One Sixth Warrior Forum. ___ The flash used is a yellow diamond, and is correct for "F" Coy. Where are the proofs, who knows? It is quite evident from photographs, that the flash is very light in colour, in a well known photograph of 19 members of "F" Coy. identified to M. Collins, the Cadet on the extreme left of the group gives us a good look at it. There are enough of these Balmorals scattered around the country in County Libraries and museums to probably cover 1/3 of the ADRIC if they could be brought together on paper. For example, The National Museum has one, Kilmainham Jail has one, PSNI Museum has one, the Ulster Museum has two and various County Libraries can account for a couple more. Anyone who would like to contribute more information on the subject, will I am sure be welcomed by all who have an interest.
Dez
Dez
Full Name: Desmond Braden

Postby euryalus on Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:08 pm

There has been quite a lot of information on the Auxiliary Police on the internet over the past week or two and, in addition to the "One Sixth Warrior", new photographs of 'N' Company have been posted on the Great War Forum. I suspect that the dark green/grey/black uniform depicted on the One Sixth Warrior was issued quite late - probably around the time of the Truce (?). N Company, as shown in the Great War Forum are all wearing khaki, but a later photo on the same site shows then in the dark uniform.

Coincidently, the British Military Badge forum has also turned up some pictures of the "Ulster Special Constabulary", who wore a similar dark RIC-style uniform, albeit with peaked caps and khaki webbing. These uniforms (or something very much like them) re-appeared during World War II, when the Ulster Home Guard (attached to the RUC) were issued with old police tunics - which were probably WWI khaki tunics dyed rifle green.
euryalus
Full Name: Stanley C.Jenkins

Postby auldhand on Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:26 pm

Hi, I'm new to this forum although I see one or two friends on it. I am writing to claim ownership of the Auxie figure that Dez is talking about. I commissioned the Ulsterman to make the figure for me, having supplied him the photos to work from. It is a member of "F" Coy and the colour flash is correct. The Coy that used with the small red diamond patch was the "Depot" Coy who also operated out of Dublin Castle. There was a Coy that used a large red diamond patch - "M" who operated out of Longford. I am also informing the forum of a book I hope to have ready for sale by August/September 2010, you guessed it called The Auxiliaries - Tudor's Toughs. I have tracked down the Coy flashes to most of the Coy's and the reason behind the flashes, I also explain the change from the khaki to RIC green/blue uniform. There was another division within the ADRIC called the Veterans & Drivers Division who were Temporary Constables, one of whom was killed during the Kilmichael Ambush. Another little known fact was that there was a bloodhound unit within the ADRIC. The book will contain over 100 photos relating to the ADRIC and will consist of approx 360 pages. Included will be details of Coy members and former regiments. The project has taken 3-4 yrs to complete so if anybody is interested in this book please let me know. I am presently taken pre-orders.
Erne
auldhand
Full Name: Ernest McCall

Postby bannerman on Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:39 am

Hi Auld hand and welcome aboard - Put me down for a copy of the book - congratulations on getting it done. Please contact me by e-mail at padraigoruairc@gmail.com to let me know where I can get a copy. If you would like a few re-enacters in Auxie and Tan kit to turn up at the launch just let me know. Im specifically interested in 2 cases of reprisal killings carried out by the Auxies in Clare and Galway these are the Killings on Killaloe Bridge, Clare and the killings of the Loughnane Brothers in Shanaghlish near Gort, Galway both happened in Nov 1920

You might be interested in taking a look at an article about the Loughnanes that appears here:

http://www.warofindependence.net/?page_id=260

I have a piece about the Killaloe killings written by an ex-British Army officer here:

http://www.warofindependence.net/?page_id=368

Thanks for the info _Im looking forward to getting your book
Padraig Og O Ruairc
http://www.warofindependence.net/

"Is doigh linn gur mor iad na daoine mora mar atamuid fein ar ar nglunaibh. - Eirimis!!!"
Jim Larkin 1913
bannerman
Active Newbie
Full Name: Padraig O Ruairc

Postby mock on Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:55 pm

Hello Auldhand and welcome to the forum.
Thanks for the info on the flashes, ive got confused with the fact there was probably more than one unit operating out of dublin castle, thanks for clearing it up.
im glad to hear about the book, i hope its very succesfull and im sure will be enlightening. looking forward to seeing it on the shelves.
lord edwards own
86th leinster regiment
prince of wales leinster regiment
mock
Full Name: mock vaughan

Postby thepremier on Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:44 pm

All the best for the book, auldhand. Please keep us updated on it.
thepremier
Active Newbie
Full Name: niig

Postby auldhand on Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:20 pm

Hi, All. Thanks for your support. I know that certain people will raise the hair about such a book but they are an important part of the history of this island and they have to have a fair crack of the whip. Both sides did wrong during that period. I have had an interest in this period for a long time and I could never find an actual book or study on the Auxiliaries in the shops, they are mentioned in many personal and factual books on the period. I did my degree dissertation on them and I have used that as the framework for the book. I have had great help from collectors and some family members of Auxies as well as national records in London & Dublin. However, there are certain aspects that I could not cover due to lack of information or evidence in one way or the other and I hopefully have protrayed that in the book. I have, through research found that some of the historians have got their facts wrong on some incidents, individuals and especially in photograph captions. It is a subject that I could talk all night on. If you are a member of a club or society interested in the period, I have a powerpoint presentation on the Auxies and would be happy to give the lecture about them.
auldhand
Full Name: Ernest McCall

Next

Return to 20th Century