Book Launch

Let us know about interesting events here

Moderator: the_power

Book Launch

Postby museumtom on Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:27 am

Hello everyone.
A book recording the information on the 652 King’s County men who died in ww1 will be launched on Sunday afternoon 28th February in the Premises of The Offaly Historical and Archaeological Society, Bury Quay, Tullamore at 3pm.
It is called ‘The Offaly War Dead’. I have asked the Monasterevan lads who have most graciously volunteered to marshal the event. If anyone would like to attend they would be most welcome. If you are coming in uniform please dress in ww1 attire.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who have supported me in the past, you have all been extremely tolerant of this doddery old codger.
Kind regards.
Tom.
museumtom
Active Newbie
Full Name: Tom Burnell

Re: Book Launch

Postby PanzerMeyer on Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:23 am

Wishing you all the best Tom and well done on a super job . Looking forward to you doing The Kerry War Dead. Keep up the excellent work.
PanzerMeyer
Active Newbie
Full Name: Justin Horgan

Postby museumtom on Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:12 am

Thanks PanzerMeyer.
Many thanks for your kind words, it is much appreciated.
Funny you should say about Kerry. The History Press is bringing out the 2nd book( nothing to do with me) on ww1 shortly but it will not give a lot of details on casualties, the first one didn't either. So I compiled the Kerry war Dead and gave it to the County Library in Tralee under the condition that they put it online and make it accessable and free to all. They agreed and you will be able to add information or search as you please. It should be up and running very shortly and when it comes online I will post a link to it on this forum. There were 674 Kerry casualties in ww1.
Kind regards.
Tom.
museumtom
Active Newbie

Postby museumtom on Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:01 am

A huge thank you to the Enniscorthy lads and nurse, Padraig O'Rourke, and the Monasterevan lads who supported the book launch. It went very well and brought an air of aunthenticity to the whole affair. The uniforms and gear added a much needed air of forgotten history. I am sure Tullamore has not seen British uniforms for a long long time and I am also sue they ever seen German ones either. Mock made an important contact and I am expecting great things from them regarding the history of the Leinsters.
Thank you again everyone, I owe you all big time.
Kindest regards.
Tom.
museumtom
Active Newbie

Return to Events