Medical Officers / First Aid at Gigs

Moderator: the_power

Medical Officers / First Aid at Gigs

Postby sabrewolfe on Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:32 pm

Medical Officers Have been mentioned in previous posts and I would like to point out the following to groups:

Large and small events that the public can gain access too often cannot go ahead without first aid cover due to insurance requirements. All street and public event organisers, by law, must now produce a safety plan which includes first aid provision. The following is a breakdown of the various levels of qualifications that are out there. There are two more levels that I have not included which are Paramedic and Advanced Paramedic. For a full breakdown of all skill levels and the matrix of permitted skills please see the following PDF on the Pre Hospital Emergency Care Council's webpage http://www.phecit.ie/Documents/Clinical ... Matrix.pdf

In Ireland we do currently not have a Good Samaritan Act, the Governments official position on this is that so long as a person keeps to best practice and to an acceptable standard of treatment which does not exceed their skill level for which they are trained then a prosecution against them would most likely be thrown out. Some private insurance companies do offer insurance for First Aiders, having a First Aider attend an event can sometimes lower your insurance premium for your event.

At the very least I would highly recommend that a person of at least Emergency First Responder act as a medical officer for any event that features a battle or intense training due to the posibility of spinal injuries. If any group does not have a medical officer than I would be happy to attend in the capacity of Medical Officer assuming I am able to make it to events im happy to do this without being paid. The only thing I would ask for is that costs involved with materials used for treating patients be refunded to me and maybe a wee donation for getting me and my mountain of medical equipment to your gig. For more information on me and my skill levels see: http://sites.google.com/site/sabre151/monkeymedical

If anybody has any questions on First Aid for gigs they can pm me or start a thread where I will answer questions, please remember there is no such thing as a stupid question.

Also please note if someone’s certification is not in date then they should not be treating anybody.
Please ensure your First Aiders are up to date.

Basic Breakdown of Skills (in no way complete list of skills)

Basic First Aider
Providers-Various
Statutory Body- None
Identification- None issued
Certification- Usually every two years
Clinical practice guidelines- None
Skills- Basic treatment of burns, breaks, bleeding injuries and cpr
Drugs- None

Cardiac First Responder CFR
Providers- Various
Statutory Body- Pre Hospital Emergency Care Council (PHECC)
Identification- CFR Card stating whether holder is at Responder or Practitioner Level
Certification- Every two years
Clinical Practice Guidelines- PHECC CPG’S
Skills- Recognition of Cardiac Emergencies, CPR & defibrillation
Drugs- May administer Asprin only

Occupational First Aid OFA
Providers- FETAC (post 2009)
Identification- Certificate
Skills- Recognition of Cardiac Emergencies, CPR & defibrillation plus basic first aid
Drugs- May administer Asprin only

Emergency First Responder EFR
Providers- Various
Identification- EFR Card stating whether holder is at Responder or Practitioner Level
Skills- Recognition of Cardiac Emergencies, CPR & defibrillation, advanced first aid, airway management,
c-spine stabilisation, c-spine collar application, helmet removal, assist with spinal immobilizations
Drugs- May administer Aspirin, Glucose Gel and Medical Oxygen.
May assist patient with taking Salbutamol and GTN

Emergency Medical Technician EMT
Providers- Various
Identification- EMT identification card showing photo and pin code
Skills- Recognition of Cardiac Emergencies, CPR & defibrillation, advanced first aid, airway
management, c-spine stabilisation, c-spine collar application, helmet removal, spinal immobilizations,
and extrications, splinting, active re-warming
Drugs- May administer Aspirin, Glucose Gel, Medical Oxygen, nitrous oxide, epinephrine, Paracetamol,
Glucagon and GTN
Monkey The Medic (EMT)
An Fáinne Fiá­in

Need a free Medic or First Aider for your gig check out http://sites.google.com/site/sabre151/monkeymedical
Trauma Junkie "Its not that I want you to get hurt, I just want to be there when you are"
sabrewolfe
Active Newbie
Full Name: Paul Brangan

Re: Medical Officers / First Aid at Gigs

Postby brendan on Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:14 am

As someone who received first aid from Paul last year (2009) I can say that he was thorough and professional and made a better assessment than the two A&E doctors who tried to look at the same injury in Beaumont hospital.
Fortunately the injury turned out to be a minor one, but I was very happy to have someone who knew what they were doing in attendance

Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Return to General Chat