Killery Coat once again (am I being a bugger? :P)

England from the Tudors to the Stewarts, Flight of the Irish Earls, the Discovery of the Americas and Global Trade

Moderator: the_power

Killery Coat once again (am I being a bugger? :P)

Postby carraig on Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:09 pm

Hello again, folks, haven't been here for a while :)

After remembering the grand discussion on the subject of coats from Killery and Leigh, I've decided to try my skills and make one myself. Therefore I have a few questions about it's construction.

- The back. All I have are a couple of low quality photos from Dunlevy as well as some replica photos. So I can't see exactly whether there's a back seam or not. Another thing - the skirts. The fullness is achieved by inserting gores. And there's an opening between the back gores, however the Killery coat is a tad tattered at the back, so I'm not sure if the opening is just a flaw or a deliberate choice. How did you, folks interpret it?

-The sleeves - as far as I can see, they're made from single pieces with back seams, virtually being buttoned. Am I right or is it my damn poor sight again?

- The number of gores - I'd judge them as six altogether, two in the back, two at each side - yes?

- The collar. Leigh coat sports a dashing pinked standing one, however I'd like to go for the Killery option, whose collar is, unfortunately, a waste. Any suggestions? Should I make a cross-breed between the two coats and add a Leigh collar to a Killery coat, or maybe there is a solution more true to the original.

That's it for my questions. now a bit of a rant. I've been thinking about the wretched piece of attire intensively. Last time we've agreed on it being rather 17th c. -ish, perhaps an early one, when the leine could be still in use (therefore the sleeve openings) or a late one, trying to imitate a greatcoat or justacorps with somewhat out-of-date techniques. However, what about a possibility for it to be late medieval, perhaps the same period as the Moy gown, maybe a little later (so let's say 14th-15th c.)? Both have buttoned sleeves, and some of the construction techniques of the coat reminds of a medieval cote or even Moselund tunic. Other garments from the Killery bog find are things well known in medieval times, both being thoroughly described by Giraldus. Any thoughts?
carraig
Full Name: Phil Ginalski

Return to Early Modern