Ballincollig Royal Gunpowder Mills

England from the Tudors to the Stewarts, Flight of the Irish Earls, the Discovery of the Americas and Global Trade

Moderator: the_power

Ballincollig Royal Gunpowder Mills

Postby Fuhrmann on Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:58 pm

Hey, I am currently thinking of idea's on what I am going to do for my Leaving cert History project. I want to do it on some local History of Cork and how it affected the wider world.After attending a Gunpowder only Livinghistory display in the park that is on the ground of the mill. After that I started to read up on the the mills as much as I could, and I found out that the powder mills here in Cork ranked with the well known Waltham Abbey and Faversham north and east of London in Britain. I had never known that there was such an important part of the British Empire in Cork. And this is why I would love to do my Project on the Mills to learn as much as I can about it.
What I need help with is , If anyone knows any good sources or books with any information about the mills that world help me tremendously. I have checked in the City libery but did not come across any books there.I also know that they had a vistor's centre down there before but I think it's gone? I'm not 100% certain though.
Anyways if anyone coudl help it world be great.
Cheers, Ciarán.
Fuhrmann
Full Name: Ciarán Burke

Re: Ballincollig Royal Gunpowder Mills

Postby Freebeard on Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:13 am

Go out to the Ballincollig Library. Also, contact Ballincollig Heritage (http://ballincollig.wordpress.com/). They can give you as much info as you want. Jenny Webb who wrote a very good book on the Mills (entitled Ballincollig Royal Gunpowder Mills) works with them, so she might be able to help you out. She was a great help to me when I researched them myself. I got her in to do a talk in UCC for the Archaeology Society about them about a year ago. Was very good talk.
She'd be a good person to get in contact with. Her book(s) is available in the Ballincollig Library, as well as in Easons bookshop or the Post Office in Ballincollig.

If you need any more info, just pm me and I'll help out. (I'm a local of the town, and have done a fair bit of research into the history of the place)

le meas,

Andrew
-'Dligid Diummus Dermat'

"Wyt ti’n ffrwtin fel gwyddel"
(you are farting like an irishman)
Freebeard
Active Newbie
Full Name: Aindrias Ó Broin

Postby Freebeard on Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:31 am

Also, check out 'The Gunpowder Mill at Ballincollig' by George Kelleher, who surveyed the Mills. it might be of worth
-'Dligid Diummus Dermat'

"Wyt ti’n ffrwtin fel gwyddel"
(you are farting like an irishman)
Freebeard
Active Newbie
Full Name: Aindrias Ó Broin

Postby Fuhrmann on Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:37 pm

Oh nice, Thank you. This should help me out alot..
Cheers man. :D
Fuhrmann

Postby ballinc1 on Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:49 pm

Great to see an interest in the gunpowder mills from a school student. I didn't think local history got a look in on the LC.
Check out our website www.ballincolligheritage.org/info which gives all the reading material you need to research the mills. Ballincollig Heritage Association also has the conservation report of the mills done by David Kelly which indicates what state each building is in. BHA will be leading more gunpowder walks in the future-the next at the New Year. Watch this space.

Cheers,

Jenny :D
ballinc1
Full Name: Jennifer Webb

Postby brendan_the_lesser on Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:39 am

I'd also suggest emailing Dr. Colin Rynne in UCC, he's an archaeology lecturer who does a lot of work in the early modern period, and i know he worked on the Gunpowder mills during excavations years ago, if nothing else he'll be able to point you in the right direction. email is c.rynne@ucc.ie
Lorna Dane, She's a babe!

Expandable Youth?
brendan_the_lesser
Full Name: Brendan Halpin

Postby Fuhrmann on Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:22 pm

Cheers for the help guys.. This is alot of information :D
Fuhrmann

Return to Early Modern