SG Nord Follows Peiper

From the Crimean War to the Wars in the Gulf. The death of global empires and the rise of a global economy.

Moderator: the_power

SG Nord Follows Peiper

Postby jonnyb-2 on Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:39 pm

We went to Germany met a few contacts then headed for Belgium on the trail of KG-Peiper
With us was food for two days and a Garrett Ace 250 and SS maps of the operation in 1944 ohh and not to metion Armor Battles of the Waffen SS 1943-45 by Will Fey we stayed overnight at the SS forward positions 3km from La Gleize near Stoumont about a meter away from a rifle pit! , on the way we visited some good spots!

We found many bullets and coins plus a very nice first pattern FJ belt buckle with Battle damage not to far away from were we slept!

So they are in order enjoy!

K98 Hitlerjugend Gewehr

Here lies three unknown Fallschirmjäger Fallen: Dec 1944

Whats this???

Wooden foot mines!

On the road again with the maps!

There was soo many of these cans for sale...

Fleemarket

SS-Obersturmführer Dollinger's Tiger 213

Check out the restoration here of the tank!
http://www.ss501panzer.com/213_restoration.htm

Peipers Map case found in the last few years!

Best find of the weekend! A Shrapnel damaged first pattern FJ Belt buckle found on the positions!

Alles Gute ich hoffe euch gefallen die Bilder.
jonnyb-2
Full Name: Jonny

Re: SG Nord Follows Peiper

Postby mountcashel on Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:39 pm

Nice photos lads, just beware of things that go "boom" when disturbed...under that nice battlefield relic could be a grenade or shell with a corroded fuze just awaiting the slightest disturbance to finally have its day! I saw mr Cassoni at the same business in Cassino, surprised the man wasnt atomically re arranged by the stuff being dug up..call me over cautious, however having spent a long time traipsing across and lobbing shells into the good old glen of imaal, thats just me,maybe any arty heads would share this view(even though it comes from"mountcashel"!)
Rgds M.
mountcashel

Postby Nerva on Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:52 pm

Salve Jonny!

Great photographs! Where is that museum you took the pictures in?

Salve

Nerva
Vale

Marcvs Vlpius Nerva

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Pilus Prior Cohors VIII Legionis XX Valeria Victrix

http://www.romanarmy.ie

info@romanarmy.ie

nerva@romanarmy.ie
Nerva
Active Newbie
Full Name: Martin McAree

Location: Corcagia, Hibernia Pronvincia - Cork, Ireland, to you Barbarians!

Postby jonnyb-2 on Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:40 pm

We visited two museums one was in La Gleize where the Tiger 2 is on the street called "December 44" and the other was at the scence in Malmedy on the Baugnez Crossroads, The museum is called "Baugnez 44" and was amazing!

http://www.baugnez44.be/

Plus the trip was a low budget trip we flew to Düsseldorf Weeze for 20Euro each!!!!

Was very well worth it!

Good to see you liked the Pics Regards

Jonny
jonnyb-2

Postby mountcashel on Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:08 am

Ah,"salve" my f...in' ass! if those misguided adventurers happened to be stupid enough to uncover a "bouncing betty" then youd certainly find out in the news where their castrated remains were collected from.....well boys dont say nobody warned ye about playing time team in the devils playground...and please dont anyone be stoopid enough to follow...
Join the army and see the world,join baynard and Cassonis battlefield digs and see the next one!
have sense,boys,please.
M
mountcashel

Postby Nerva on Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:29 am

Come now mountcashel. Your point is well made but surely there’s no need to resort to profanities or personalisation :oops: . I’m sure jonny is now well aware of the hazards you highlight ;)

Vale

Nerva
Vale

Marcvs Vlpius Nerva

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Pilus Prior Cohors VIII Legionis XX Valeria Victrix

http://www.romanarmy.ie

info@romanarmy.ie

nerva@romanarmy.ie
Nerva
Active Newbie
Full Name: Martin McAree

Location: Corcagia, Hibernia Pronvincia - Cork, Ireland, to you Barbarians!

Postby jonnyb-2 on Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:54 am

I am very aware of what is laying out there!

We all knew the risk we were taking... But we had an agreement that if we came across anything in the slightest strange we would leave it..

We dug around the object to see what lay under there, rather than going at it looking for spuds :lol:

When you good sir mentioned the Army, Now for me thats risk taking!
I had a friend whom got hit in Basra about 3 and half years back, he thankfully lived to tell the tale, and he is well away from the Army now...

Also in your reply you wrote, "misguided adventurers" you will find that it was anything but. We planned well in advance were exactly we would go, and had Operational Maps of Rollbahnn D on which the LSSAH followed, and we were armed with a few good books of what happend in the Area we took the Detector out.

Ahhh well..Some men frown, some even envy, some may even enjoy to do it themselfs....But you must way up the risks.
And for me and the others it was well worth it, i cant speak for the other relic hunter you mentioned as I dont know this Gentleman.

Kindest Regards and thanks for showing your concern..

Jonny

Ps...

Only two people cared for my safety (After showing this topic on 4 forums and 1000s of hits worldwide) One my Mother and two mountcashel! ;)
jonnyb-2

Postby mountcashel on Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:56 pm

Hi Johnny,
thanks for the reply, yes I may have seemed a bit OTT but again its just concern from experience, but as you now seem to be level headed enough regarding approaching and reacting to potentially live ordnance and projectiles ill let it at that and compliment you on the nice photos of the museum...is that the place where they do tours with the half tracks?
best regards
Mountcashel.
mountcashel

Postby jonnyb-2 on Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:32 pm

Hi again...

I think they have Halftracks..Plus they are doing some sort of Tour this December with trucks, jeeps and Halftracks...
It surely would be nice to sit in the back of a Halftrack going through La Gleize or Stoumont...

Kindest Regards

Jonny
jonnyb-2

Postby USER8472 on Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:56 pm

As with another post i made here on this forum in this exact regard, there is a very serious lack of good judgement, or a plain deathwish here and its unnerving, the limit of how devices can be employed is only limited to the imagination of the soldier placing it, i think going looking for artefacts is great, but battlefields are a place where all kinds of devices are deployed by both sides to kill the opposition - no if's - no but's no half measures with these weapons - they do their job extremely well, and dont care who they hurt or kill, im being pedantic on purpose here because i obviously have to spell this out to people, and if you are "well aware of what is out there" does that mean you have some kind of extra sensory perception? - it must if you think you know what your dealing with at every site you dig or run your metal detector over, i dont know one EOD No.1 that has your confidence.
Also "we dug around the object to see what lay under there" is a very bad idea (digging in the first place is a bad idea!) how do you know that there isnt a grenade with its fly-off lever being held in place by the clay in and around the buckle? - maybe you use your extra sensory perception because you know what is out there?
I dont want to come across as an ars3hole here but a line from a film comes to mind..... "did IQ's around here suddenly drop while i was away?"
I have to tell you in simple and chiding terms because obviously people dont get it - what your dealing with is live Unexploded Ordnance, designed to kill and maim and destroy, its dotted everywhere in these places in various states of disrepair and decay just waiting for that nudge, or just that exposure to fresh air and your life and your familie's lives are irreperably destroyed!!!
Really now, ask yourself this - Is a relic worth your familie's grief over your death?, is a relic worth a limb?, or your eyesight? If your answer is "yes" well im typing for nothing, and common sense has left you.
USER8472
Full Name: Mark.

Next

Return to 20th Century