a small request....

Moderator: the_power

a small request....

Postby mountcashel on Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:05 pm

Hey all, thanks for putting in great work to entertain and inform during the year, enjoyed seeing re enactors do what they do best. just a small observation....

Went to salute, and at one stage a redcoat ran out into the display are, fired off his musket at the vikings?(apologies my pre medieval is bad) who were skirmishing and shouted some nonsense about getting my gun from my cold dead hands, eventually he annoyed them so much they cornered him and dispatched him with a few swift axe blows...it looked totally out of context and ridiculous I had to turn away and cringe as the public were watching!

While talking to a friend who had been to Kinsale, all the good comments were brought to an abrupt WHAT? when he mentioned something worrying about Romans edging in to a War of Independence skirmish..Say is isnt so someone, please!

I just dont get this, loads of people trying to do the best impressions, displays and battles, and then a farcical interlude like above makes a joke of it.

Rgds M
mountcashel

Re: a small request....

Postby lordedward on Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:07 pm

While talking to a friend who had been to Kinsale, all the good comments were brought to an abrupt WHAT? when he mentioned something worrying about Romans edging in to a War of Independence skirmish..Say is isnt so someone, please!

I can ease your mind on this one Mountcashel, the only "Temporal Incursion" at Kinsale this year was for the finale or traditional melee at the very end when everybody takes part in, what is made clear to the audience is, the fun ending for the benefit of participants.
There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness -Dave Barry
lordedward
Full Name: Barry Walsh

Postby pajo on Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:07 pm

Must add that at many a multi-period show we've had stuff like that happening, and it alwayz comes off as exactly what it is. a laugh. ANd usually, its planned... not alwayz, but usually... reenactors get a laugh, the public get a laugh... its all good.
A hard on does NOT count as personal growth...

Effudistine potum melis meum...? Amice, nunc te interficiam.
pajo
Active Newbie

Postby Matt on Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:41 pm

Whilst multi period events provide a means of showcasing the evolution of domestic and military hardware to the public at a single location, the specific periods should be clearly separated and labeled. In the case of each demonstration of military tactics and weapons, these should be self contained unless there is a transitional period which is a common factor of two era's.

Multi-period shows have the potential to provide a fantastic days entertainment and an education - the latter however becomes less important when individuals concern themselves with 'having a laugh'. Unless clearly scripted and/or planned a multi-period meleé will only cause the overall event to look, shabby and unprofessional. Yes It may be fun for the reenactors involved but any individual mop who may or may not have a clue about specific periods will have the ability to tell friends his opinion, we must always remember that at shows there are quite often Archaeologists and history teachers who love to catch us out!

I fully agree with Mountcashel that a separation is best, during the show a professional decorum should be adhered to, keep it authentic otherwise it's just LARP .

Matt
Matt Ferris - Odin's Einherjare
Matt
Full Name: Matt ferris

Postby brendan on Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:29 pm

It really depends on what the intention of the show is:
Is it to entertain?
Is it to educate?
Is it to recreate exactly as possible what it would have been like for the person represented?

They are different types of show with different needs. And in the first 2 cases the needs of the audience take precedence i.e. value for money (whether the money was paid by the visitor or a sponsor). Very few shows are of the (arbitrarily picked) 3rd type

That said, I do prefer it when time periods are clearly distinguished. Though if you are going for the comedy factor I would much prefer to see Redcoat Vs Viking than WW1 Vs WW2 ~ it is clear to anyone watching that there are differences.

Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby Billy on Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:47 pm

I think shite like the following is best avoided:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadliest_ ... vs_Samurai

also:

Billy MagFhloinn
Billy
Active Newbie

Postby lordedward on Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:20 pm

Although I did enjoy the outcome of the final program PIRA vs. Taliban :lol: :lol: :lol:
There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness -Dave Barry
lordedward
Full Name: Barry Walsh

Postby Nerva on Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:21 am

Salve Mountcashel,

We were the Roman group concerned, and yes we did engage in a skirmish with some Irish civil war groups, and American civil war groups, and German soldiers from WWI and WWII and Red Coats, and French and god knows who else. I must say it was great craic and all had good fun. This has been the tradition at Kinsale since god knows when; the final battle is a free for all. You see the public come to be entertained and based on the comments received by the OPW this year was an outstanding success. I am glad to say that it seems not to have affected our professional profile though as we were asked to appear in two new documentaries on Roman Ireland to be screened next spring ;)

When a show is run as professionally as Kinsale, and this year was no exception, the public leave informed and, with a finale like this, thoroughly entertained ;)

Thanks for your comments though, much appreciated. Why don't you come along and join in the event next year?

Vale

Nerva
Vale

Marcvs Vlpius Nerva

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Pilus Prior Cohors VIII Legionis XX Valeria Victrix

http://www.romanarmy.ie

info@romanarmy.ie

nerva@romanarmy.ie
Nerva
Active Newbie
Full Name: Martin McAree

Location: Corcagia, Hibernia Pronvincia - Cork, Ireland, to you Barbarians!

Postby Irish-American on Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:34 am

yes, inter-period reenacting can be fun. As an American Civil War reenactor I often sleep in the WW2 camp cuz let's face it Paratroopers can PARTY. but the thing got me mad is my Lt let his buddy (who was an ex Civil War reenactor) serve on our piece wearing a USMC WW2 Uniform :roll: Although I good time was had by all so in fairness who cares. I say, if a person is to dumb not realize they didn't have Thompsons in the Civil War let them think so.
If there any American Civil War/ Irish Civil War reenactors here, do people in Ireland only with knowledge from school bicker about your Civil War as much as mine. One old man tried to compare Robert E Lee with Adolf Hitler *sigh*
Irish-American
Active Newbie
Full Name: I'd rather not say

Postby Irish-American on Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:40 am

In response to Billy
Shit like this should happen more often http://cruddy.files.wordpress.com/2009/ ... g-fail.jpg
Irish-American
Active Newbie
Full Name: I'd rather not say

Next

Return to General Chat