Help choosing Irish history events for club

Moderator: the_power

Help choosing Irish history events for club

Postby Irish-American on Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:58 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen
I am creating a Irish culture organization here at my University and I want to cover a little of the history, not too much, but enough to show how Ireland became the nation it is today. Please pick 5 events from Irish history and why think they shaped Ireland? Thank you for doing this, this will help to better educate the members of my club and myself. I have my own ideas but I'm sure there are better out there.
Thanks for the imput
Adan
Irish-American
Active Newbie
Full Name: I'd rather not say

Re: Help choosing Irish history events for club

Postby Nerva on Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:56 pm

Salve Amicus!

I would say the Agricolan expedition of 82AD must rank as a significant event. While we have no specifics relating to the exact nature of the expedition apart from the Drumanagh fort, it must have been instrumental in bringing enlightenment and civilisation to these wet and windy shores. One of the great benefits of this mission to Hibernia was the bringing of literacy. While it took the locals quite some time to get the hang of reading and writing, when they did it was in our native tongue, Latin. Unfortunately, despite our best efforts we could never get the Hibernians used to road construction, well straight ones anyway. This was not a complete failure for century's later the Denarius finally dropped and they took to it with a passion, but only as an export commodity to Britannia.

I think in summary it's fair to say that without the Agricolan mission of 82AD there'd be no chippers or 4 Star Pizza, and poor old Paddy would be left with a very sad excuse for a snack box from Hillbillies after skulling a gallon of Guinness of a week-end...mind you there'd still be a good Kebab, but that’s another story ;)
Vale

Marcvs Vlpius Nerva

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Pilus Prior Cohors VIII Legionis XX Valeria Victrix

http://www.romanarmy.ie

info@romanarmy.ie

nerva@romanarmy.ie
Nerva
Active Newbie
Full Name: Martin McAree

Location: Corcagia, Hibernia Pronvincia - Cork, Ireland, to you Barbarians!

Postby brendan on Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:01 am

Major events that I would say:
  • Arrival of Christianity in Ireland. Whether you believe Patrick existed or was a synthesis or whatever doesnt really matter. Marks transition to an Ireland that played an important role in European history.
  • First Viking raid on Ireland. Represents a significant influx of culture and people and led to the formation of the cities we have today
  • Clontarf. Not because Boru kicked the vikings (the victory was pyrrhic(sp?)), but because it represented an usurpation of the existing order
  • Norman conquest. Pivotal in establishing medieval Ireland.
  • Gaelic resurgence. Near demise of the English colony and a new flowering of Irish culture etc
  • O'Neill's tantrum, the battle of Kinsale and the Flight of the Earls - long lasting consequences
  • War of 2 kings. William Vs James; need to emphasise international aspect of this
  • Cromwell. The man and what he got up to; needs to refer to how his actions in Ireland were matched in England
  • Act of Union. Decentralized power is centralized.
  • Potato Famine. Significant population event which scarred the Irish psyche, killed its people and led to huge emigration which has significantly influenced the demographic structure of the United states.
  • Revolutionary Ireland - several in the 19th century. How wide was support really? What were the short and long term effects of each of these revolutions - needs to be looked at in the wider European context
  • WW1 and the War for Independence
  • Irish Civil War. This defined our international relations and set up our current political divisions

I have avoided anything earlier because specific events are not clear. More modern stuff is more contentious i.e. still current.

Any one of these items is worth a term of study and research - up to you how much detail you want!

Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby seamusbanisteoir on Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:32 pm

Hello

I have to say Brendan has pretty much got it covered with that list all key moments of irish history and relativly easy to research
seamusbanisteoir
Full Name: seamus banisteoir

Postby Irish-American on Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:52 am

I want to thank you all and those still to post. I know many Irish roll their eyes at 3d generation Irish-Americans like myself, but I want all to know I am here as a means to discover how to better portray Irish immigrant soldiers in my own nation, though reenacting and to learn some new things; for almost everywhere in the world Irish blood has been spilled I owe them the honor of throwing those stories out there. I also feel a responsibility to help others distinguish stereotype from culture (hence this club) . Just as I hope you don't think all of us Americans conform to the John Ford Ireland. After all, at my university we send about 200 students a semester to Dublin to some business school, I highly doubt they are adding pounds of hops together there ;) So please know I appreciate anything you share and will use it to best of my ability.
Irish-American
Active Newbie
Full Name: I'd rather not say

Postby brendan on Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:33 am

Mostly what we look for is some evidence that people are a) Willing to do work themselves and b) What it is they have done
Everyone has to start somewhere, but they do need to start
Give us an update on how your club goes, and consider the idea of 'experimental archaeology' i.e. try and do something as it was 'back in the day' rather than just talking about it - that is where the reenactment comes in as opposed to study of history (which is a valid pursuit of itself)
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Return to General Chat