Great War Help

From the Crimean War to the Wars in the Gulf. The death of global empires and the rise of a global economy.

Moderator: the_power

Great War Help

Postby Irish-American on Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:51 pm

Hello:
A pal of mine and I here at University are considering discussing submitting a script for a World War One video game. The story of which would revolve around how soldiers need each other emotionally as they witness and do horrible things. i was just wondering if could provide any suggestions on sources we could research that either gives the context of World War One or shows its humanity. We want to stress that we want make this as historically real as possible; so many war games nowadays are terrible in those you just run at thing and shoot, it's not way a war is fought. I view games as literature, after all, all game is a play you can interact with.
Thanks for help,
Irish-American
Active Newbie
Full Name: I'd rather not say

Re: Great War Help

Postby finnobreanan on Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:01 am

You need to look at first-hand persoanl accounts. There are a number of good books available, "Make the Kiser Dance" leaps to my mind, but there are so many others out there (I'd have to go out to my carriage house to find them all). Arthur Guy Empey also wrote a couple of good first hand accounts of his observations. Knuckledown kid and do some work...there is great stuff out there in your library.
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

"...The O'Brennans, a sept of thieves without any right or title, ... were a perpetual disturbance to the peace of the county,"
finnobreanan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Scott Cross

Postby bannerman on Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:43 pm

Again Id follow Finns advice and see if you can find accounts of the fighting and the conditions from the people who were there. There should be plenty of books available from Amazon - Personally I would recommend "11th Month, 11th Day, 11th Hour" by Joseph E. Persico ISBN 9780099445395

You might also want to watch "All Quiet On The Western Front" The original black and white 1930's film - not the remake with "John Boy" Walton. Its a very powerfull anti war film that has the comradeship between the soldiers as one of its main themes.

Padraig
http://www.warofindependence.net/

"Is doigh linn gur mor iad na daoine mora mar atamuid fein ar ar nglunaibh. - Eirimis!!!"
Jim Larkin 1913
bannerman
Active Newbie
Full Name: Padraig O Ruairc

Postby finnobreanan on Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:39 pm

Here's a few gems from my library;

Floyd Gibbons, "And They Tought We Wouldn't Fight"
Arthur Guy Empey, "Over the Top"
Lawrence Stallings, "The Doughboys"
John W. Thompson, "Fix Bayonets"
Leaonard Nason, wrote a series of five novels. Although fictional accounts, Nason was a veteran of the war and writes from the soldier's perspective. These are really great books.
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

"...The O'Brennans, a sept of thieves without any right or title, ... were a perpetual disturbance to the peace of the county,"
finnobreanan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Scott Cross

Postby Irish-American on Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:40 am

I just want to thank you lads for the help. Would either of you lads mind taking a look a draft of the script? I plan to get the first scene on paper next weekend. I also want to mention I am studying to be a History professor so I am not some guy who decided to write a script without any idea of what it was about ;)
Irish-American
Active Newbie
Full Name: I'd rather not say

Return to 20th Century