Kevin O'Toole RIP

Moderator: the_power

Kevin O'Toole RIP

Postby Dave Mooney on Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:26 am

I was leaving some time for people that needed to hear this by phone here this by phone etc and for someone who knew him better to post this notice.

I had a call on Saturday from Judith O'Brien looking for several phone numbers and have since received this e-mail.

Kevin O’Toole died on Friday at 1.30pm if you want any details please get in touch with Judith at O’Brien on 0 8 5 7 2 9 3 4 2 1 . E.mail: guernoster at gmail dot com.

Kevin was a founding member (if not the founder) of The Leinster Re-enactment Society http://homepage.eircom.net/~cuigelaighin/ and was heavily involved in SIR back in the day.
I didn't know him well having only met him a few times and had a few phone calls with him. He had a great passion for re-enactment acting in the background for years before getting into kit himself. He just loved to see it happening. He was also a great supporter of Slua Ghairm when I was publishing it.

May he rest in peace.
Dave Mooney.
Mogh Roith- Historical Living History Group. http://moghroith.org
Dave Mooney
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Mooney

Re: Kevin O'Toole RIP

Postby Swifty on Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:58 am

Sorry to hear this sad news.

Anyone here who looks through Kevin's posts on this forum (under Leinsterman) will see that he was a very knowledgeable and considerate individual. He had a huge interest in the early Anglo-Normans and the built heritage associated with them. Geneology was another great passion. But his interest in all Irish history was apparently limitless. A great man for the raw stuff of the annals - he was a writer too.

A lot of people who were around - especially in the heady days of the mid-nineties - will remember Kevin as a pioneer and a torch bearer for the growth of the genre.
D Swift www.claiomh.ie c.795-1660
Swifty
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Swift

Postby Jess de Búrca Monty on Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:08 pm

I worked alongside Kevin on some projects many moons ago. He was quite simply a lovely man. My respects and heartfelt sympathies to his loved ones.
x
Jess
Jess de Búrca Monty
Active Newbie
Full Name: Jessica de Búrca-Montague

Postby Judith SKMF on Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:14 pm

The arrangements for Kevin O'Toole's funeral are as follows:
leaving Rigney's Funeral Home, Athy, Co. Kildare, Tues, 6 30, arriving to St. Michael's church 7.
11 Mass Wed morning.
Ar dheis Dego raibh se.

judith
Judith SKMF
Full Name: Judith Guernon

Postby martynm on Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:22 am

having known Kevin as a Friend and The Chairperson of The Society of Irish Re-enactors for many years it was with great sadness that i hear of hi passing, and my heart goes out to Maggs and the children at this sad time,

Martyn c/o Cu-Glas.
IT"S WHAT I DO !
martynm
Full Name: martynm

Postby wiblick on Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:00 am

I have only just read this sad news.

A gentleman. Hard to know what else to say.

Aoife
I am off active duty for 2009 & 2010. I continue to research but will be attending few if any shows for these two years. I got some chickens and hope to bring them along with a more fully rounded household display in 2011.
wiblick
Active Newbie
Full Name: Aoife

Return to General Chat