Earliest dates for plough finds in Ireland?

From palaeolithic to the late iron age, discuss leather underwear and rocks to your hearts' content

Moderator: the_power

Earliest dates for plough finds in Ireland?

Postby Dave Mooney on Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:53 pm

As many will be aware the Ploughing championships were on this past week. This led to assorted guests on assorted radio shows. Many were asked 'how old the plough was?' or' when did we start ploughing?'. Most of the speakers had no specific speciality but they tried to answer anyway. Many kept is super vague to 'from ancient times'.

I'm getting conflicting dates. Essays on line say Late Bronze Age in Ireland and an episode of Time team (I just watched a minute ago - that prompted this post) has an ard on the Hebrides in the Early Bronze Age. I can't see that type of technology getting that far North without heading West at the same time.

Anyone know the earliest dates for plough finds here?

Dave.
Dave Mooney.
Mogh Roith- Historical Living History Group. http://moghroith.org
Dave Mooney
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Mooney

Re: Earliest dates for plough finds in Ireland?

Postby finnobreanan on Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:36 pm

Dave,

On p. 64 of "Celtic Britain and Ireland: the Myth of the Dark Ages", the authors quote good sources, and based on pollens from cereal grains found in bogs and radio carbon dating, the coulter plough was probably introduced to Ireland around 300 AD from Roman Britain. They further state that the mould-board plow was probably introduced in the Sixth century AD.

Peter Harbison in "Pre-Christian Ireland", p. 34, that archelogical evidence for cultivatted fields have been dated to 2270 BC, and that furroghs had been made by "some primitive predecessor of the plough".

Flanigan states in "Ancient Ireland" that a stone blade of a plough was discovered at Ceide Fields in County Mayo that dates to the Neolithic period.

So, I would suppose the date of ploughing would be relevant to the type of plough being used, at least from what I could find in my library.
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

"...The O'Brennans, a sept of thieves without any right or title, ... were a perpetual disturbance to the peace of the county,"
finnobreanan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Scott Cross

Return to Pre-History